Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now I’m a Creep!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I liked the idea of “Hold” while stopped, until I didn’t get to to catch and rolled back at a stoplight / bumped someone. Now I have “creep” enabled. Seems to be more comfortable for me.

Come to think about it, I have done this before, on a manual transmission ICE.
yea, there are times I use it and times that I don't. It's nice for some situations. Frankly I think there should never be a time when a car (of any kind) is allowed to roll backward while in drive mode. On the rare occasions I might need it to do that, I can simply click it into neutral. With older ICE cars, it couldn't easily be done, but now that we have newer technology, it could be implemented easily enough.

And I guess you know that even with creep on, you can still roll backward when not in hold mode if you are on a steep incline. aka San Francisco hills.

So how does this work? If you have creep off, the car will roll back as soon as you lift the foot off the brake? Or is there a fixed time delay?
On a steep enough hill yes you will roll.

Though however typically at a stop you give it an little extra push and it will go into Hold. Which holds the car in place until you hit the accelerator.

Hold still works with creep on, you just have to push harder.

So how does this work? If you have creep off, the car will roll back as soon as you lift the foot off the brake? Or is there a fixed time delay?

With creep off and the brakes released, the car is subject to gravity and will roll. Hold mode requires less brake pedal effort to engage with creep turned off. I prefer creep off, but it isn't for everyone. Thankfully, Tesla gives us the option.

I didn't like how much additional effort engaging hold required when creep was on. I also think when the car is in DRIVE and not reverse it should not be allowed to roll backwards. There are some who come from manual transmissions that like the behavior, but I only see it as a liability just like what happened to the OP
It is more of a PIA to HOLD with Creep on and why I wished it was geofenced (just needed to backup safely to the wall). And I agree an "auto" Hold should be an option or just enabled. If you stop the car should stay stoped and not roll backwards until you accelerate.

Even with creep on, if the hill slope is high enough, it will rollback!

I think that is a nasty software bug. I had few times that the car was rolling back with the “(H)” icon displayed on the dashboard! So I had to tap the brake pedal twice to make the car stop.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and SlimJim
There are some who come from manual transmissions that like the behavior, but I only see it as a liability just like what happened to the OP
Yes, I am one of those old "manual transmission" guys. I didn't like having to manually prevent the car from rolling backward then, and I certainly don't want to continue now. In fact, I am so old that I think I remember riding with Fred Flintstone and we had to propel the car with out feet. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: KrenGrl

I think that is a nasty software bug. I had few times that the car was rolling back with the “(H)” icon displayed on the dashboard! So I had to tap the brake pedal twice to make the car stop.
yes, and that is why if I am on a steep grade and stopped with a car behind me, I will press the brake to put it in hold mode. Interesting that I have been on some of those super steep hills in San Francisco and the hold mode has never failed me. Not sure why yours may not have held. I have noticed in that situation if I ever so slightly press the accelerator after a hold, then I better be ready to put a little more pedal to the medal to get over the hill or else the hold mode disengages and I start rolling backward.

Yes, I am one of those old "manual transmission" guys. I didn't like having to manually prevent the car from rolling backward then, and I certainly don't want to continue now. In fact, I am so old that I think I remember riding with Fred Flintstone and we had to propel the car with out feet. :rolleyes:
My last car was a BMW 328i with manual transmission. I hated creeping along in heavy traffic, going uphill. Great way to burn a clutch. And then there was the joy of a stop sign at the top of a steep hill. Not only do you have to think about burning the clutch but also about the car one foot behind your car while you're quickly manipulating the brake, emergency brake handle, gas and clutch to get the car going forward without stalling or rolling backward. I warned the guy I sold it to whom I sold it to take BART, Uber of Lyft if he had to go into San Francisco. That is one town I learned to avoid driving a stick-shift car in.

Hold should keep the car from rolling even on steep hills, per the Manual.

You might want to get yours checked if Hold does not function as designed

20190728_141807.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190728-140719_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190728-140719_Drive.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 30