Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now I understand the price gap with wraps/ppf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my P3D+ last Saturday and took it in for tint, console wrap, and front PPF. Used just a smaller local shop, since others were booked out into mid-October or others like OCDetailing into March of next year.

I now understand the price gap between some of the higher end shops and everyone else. The tint job they did good on... except the windshield seems to have caught a spec of dust right in the line of sight. I'll be taking it back in for that.

The wrap looks good in general, but up close I can where one of the pieces is slightly out of alignment with the cut in order to match the grain. Along the dash trim, can see the wood poking out behind where it was cut too high. And on the PPF, the metal hood/fender looks a slightly different shade than the front bumper. They said "oh, because its plastic".. but... yeah, not sure I buy it.

Anyway, now I'm stuck in a place of debating whether I schedule with one of the higher end shops and spend the money, or what. Likely still polish and ceramic coat it myself, since I want it protected. Maybe take up rewrapping it myself

On the plus side, I can now safely make my commute when I need to go into the office without getting a chip. But I am disappointed because I won't be able to un-see it.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 129
I don’t know what SSCustoms in Redwood City’s schedule looks like now but you might want to give them a call if you are considering a redo. Our Model 3 is scheduled there for early October and we made the appointment a while ago. Pretty sure OCDetailing is closed on Saturdays now (could be wrong) but that might account for a longer wait time if so. Our MS was full body wrapped at SSCustoms and very pleased with the work. They would be a bit further for you from Stockton but can vouch for their work.

Picked up my P3D+ last Saturday and took it in for tint, console wrap, and front PPF. Used just a smaller local shop, since others were booked out into mid-October or others like OCDetailing into March of next year.

I now understand the price gap between some of the higher end shops and everyone else. The tint job they did good on... except the windshield seems to have caught a spec of dust right in the line of sight. I'll be taking it back in for that.

The wrap looks good in general, but up close I can where one of the pieces is slightly out of alignment with the cut in order to match the grain. Along the dash trim, can see the wood poking out behind where it was cut too high. And on the PPF, the metal hood/fender looks a slightly different shade than the front bumper. They said "oh, because its plastic".. but... yeah, not sure I buy it.

Anyway, now I'm stuck in a place of debating whether I schedule with one of the higher end shops and spend the money, or what. Likely still polish and ceramic coat it myself, since I want it protected. Maybe take up rewrapping it myself

On the plus side, I can now safely make my commute when I need to go into the office without getting a chip. But I am disappointed because I won't be able to un-see it.

It's very common that plastic panels look slightly different than metal panels when painted because of different surfaces. If you look on your rear bumper, it probably does the same thing too.

As far as the vinyl wrap goes, they probably could have covered the exposed areas slightly better, but without knowing their experience level, it may be just the best they can do given the price you paid.

Yeah those are pretty minor. Annoying for sure since you dropped some coin on work you wanted done perfectly. I'd just chalk it up as a learning experience and enjoy the car. And go on Yelp. That's about a 3 star review for me.

The colour mismatch is common between materials so they are not lying about that. The wood grain part I'll go back to them on that, maybe they can cut out a small piece to cover it so it's not so noticeable.

I see you have a similar alignment issue like I do on the passenger fender and bumper, where the fender overlaps the bumper.

I see you have a similar alignment issue like I do on the passenger fender and bumper, where the fender overlaps the bumper.

Yeah, I'd noticed it stands out at that angle in the picture... car has a few things that stand out only at certain angles/lighting.

I suppose this was mostly my own frustration with not aligning on my expectations. He was cheaper, but not drastically cheaper than others. But one indicator should have been that they weren't booked out at all. They were closed Sunday/Monday, so I called on Tuesday and got in on Wednesday.

My wife is saying I should just schedule it with OCDetailing or another good shop for whenever they're available, because otherwise I won't shut up about it. And at least the front end is protected until then.

Honestly a shops online reputation hopefully means a lot but not always.
Few years ago I saw a guy post a picture of machined engine cylinder heads 80 replies proceeded to drool over how great the work was, thing is if anyone bothered to actually look you could see combustion chamber size vary cylinder to cylinder from one end of the head to the other........ It was milled crooked end to end. I quietly PM'd a few guys including the owner of the parts who confirmed they were crooked once he looked at them with an open mind rather than a predetermined awe. The vendor in question often did crap work, but thru a combination of freebies to those he screwed up for and a rabid following of ignorant "believers" he was able to sweep things under the rug and keep a big market share he even convinced people that hand porting cylinder heads was better than 5axis CNC work. Yes there are people who believe a redneck waving a grinder can be more accurate than a high-end CNC for actual engine parts machining.

Point being sometimes a good saleman can manufacture a great reputation and make people blind to his hackery.

I wouldn't chalk this up to "you get what you pay for" till you see multiple examples from each shop.