Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now is the time to get your employer to install EV Charging Stations!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While dreaming about what options are going to be available for the Model 3, I thought that I might take the initiative to propose an EV charging station where I work! I stumbled across this great information source specific for the United States, but could be applied anywhere, and thought that it would be of value for all the current and prospective Electric Vehicle owners!

Workplace Charging Challenge: Install and Manage PEV Charging at Work | Department of Energy

Mine installed two, but at $0.61 per kW/h (home is $0.09 for clean power--$0.06 for dirty power) and you have to sign up (not really an issue, but one more obstacle). I won't be using it and I doubt many others will either. Their excuse is that they have to charge for it or it's considered a taxable benefit.

Yeah, but it's a good fall back if you need it.

Fundamentally this is the problem with commercially available charging. Just to recover cost, they have to charge nearly 5x to 10x the marginal rate you pay at home.

Unless your commute is more than 200 miles what would be the benefit of charging at work?
I mean if it is free (paid by the place of work) I would definitely charge there but if you have to pay for it is just more convenient to charge at home.