Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My $0.2 - regardless of rotors - in a situation such as you described, pressing and releasing the pedal may have helped your clear the water more quickly than a solid press, maybe

It's hard to keep in mind but if you can... when driving in that kind of weather, consider periodically lightly pressing the pedal - not to stop but to scrape some water off. Used to find this necessary in some heavy rains in the New York mountain areas..

Disclosure - I have those upgraded rotors on my car and they have performed great. Old habits die hard though, especially if I go through some deep water I always do a small (safe) brake check to check the situation and clear some water off.

I've found the aftermarket rotors to help over the stocks in the rain, the dust stuck in the holes turn to slime when wet. I'm running the CRF rotors with the AX6 pads, I do know that when its cold and raining (mostly cold rain) that the pads/rotors don't hook up unless you heat and wipe them occasionally then they're fine.

With the Roadster its best to be cautious in the rain no matter what brake pads /rotors you're running.

My $0.2 - regardless of rotors - in a situation such as you described, pressing and releasing the pedal may have helped your clear the water more quickly than a solid press, maybe

It's hard to keep in mind but if you can... when driving in that kind of weather, consider periodically lightly pressing the pedal - not to stop but to scrape some water off. Used to find this necessary in some heavy rains in the New York mountain areas..

Disclosure - I have those upgraded rotors on my car and they have performed great. Old habits die hard though, especially if I go through some deep water I always do a small (safe) brake check to check the situation and clear some water off.

Yup, being from back east, and being used to driving in nasty weather with both anti-lock and older non-anti-lock brakes, I typically try to keep them dry by doing what you suggested. In this instance, when they were needed, they almost weren't there!

I've found the aftermarket rotors to help over the stocks in the rain, the dust stuck in the holes turn to slime when wet. I'm running the CRF rotors with the AX6 pads, I do know that when its cold and raining (mostly cold rain) that the pads/rotors don't hook up unless you heat and wipe them occasionally then they're fine.

With the Roadster its best to be cautious in the rain no matter what brake pads /rotors you're running.

Agreed!

Reactions: Msjulie
We had an almost unfortunate incident this last weekend.

We were heading down to Sutter Creek in Cali on hwy 49 just south of Placerville. The weather was nasty with heavy rain and wind. We were a few car lengths behind another auto and as they came up to a curve they braked almost to a stop. I depressed the brake pedal expecting the car to slow down. Well, I had to almost stand on the brake to get us to slow enough to not hit the car in front of us. Luckily, we slowed in time.

We have the stock rotors with Carbotech 1521’s and they have been great in all other situations until now. Like I mentioned, there was heavy rain and wind so, I expect the brakes were pretty wet also.

Will Dave’s rotors perform better in the same conditions? If so, we are ready to upgrade.

Dave, I have PM’d you for more information.

My experience with the new rotors & AX6 pads driving through the last couple of Oregon winters, is that they clear and grab faster than the stock rotors, in the situation you describe. That hasn't meant that that initial slick-I-m-breaking-with-icy-rotors feeling doesn't appear at all. Just that it clears and grabs a beat or two faster, and when it does grab, it REALLY grabs (relative to stock rotors + stock pads).

I also drove the car through a couple of Oregon winters before that, said experience convincing me to get involved in the first round of these custom rotors. On the days with really heavy rain, I found myself driving more like I was driving on icy roads, with virtually all of my braking coming from region, and generally not feeling safe if I needed to use the brake pedal. Not good.

Much, much better now.

Wherever you live, it's going to rain hard and be wet at least occasionally. Even in Phoenix. Definite winner of an upgrade.

Reactions: wiztecy and hcsharp
Hi Folks,
Things look good for putting together another order. I can hold the same price as the 2016 order if we get 20 cars of rotors together. It would be great if we can make this happen this summer since it takes a few months to actually have the parts made and finished. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or post them on this thread. Everyone has been happy with the product and there are plenty of stories coming out about better braking and an increase in confidence with these upgraded coated rotors.

I'm looking forward to helping more folks feel safer!
Dave
[email protected]

Hi all,
Here is quick update on the current group buy we are working on, there are now 7 folks who have confirmed to purchase upgraded rotors.

We need to get 20 to keep the prices the same as last year so please spread the word and tell your friends about this option to upgrade the safely and performance of your Roadster.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions or to confirm your desire to get a set.
Dave
[email protected]

I observe a wear pattern on the disk that is not uniform across the radius. It is more polished towards the inner portion of the radius, as shown in the attached photo. Does this indicate improper pad installation?
disk-wear.jpg