Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new rotors and brakes installed on Friday. I’m very impressed with the dry stopping ability. Can’t wait to try out with wet brakes as that is when I had the most trouble on the standard brakes.

Thank you for all the great guides to installation as they really helped.

Reactions: titaniumdave
OK, so finally got around to installing the new rotors and brake pads.
The pads I got are the R6's. Broke them in on private road since actual instructions say to run a few laps on a track. They brake fine, even when cold (important for Roadster since I'm normally regen braking so the pads are cold when I need them the most).

However, they squeak.

I realize that's to be expected considering they're autocross pads, but thinking I should replace with GS-1s instead. Anyone done a side by side comparison? What would I give up in terms of feel or performance from the R-6s?

PS: Here's G-Loc's compound comparison page: Brake Compounds - G-LOC Brakes - G-LOC Brakes

I am down to the last set of rotors and pads form the batch we made this spring. PM me if you want to get a set with GS-1 pads, they are boxed and looking for a new home! Cost is $1965 for the set, prices are starting to creep on everything made out of metal in the US. I'm guessing the tariffs will bump the next batch of rotors by 25%...super drag.

My pads are wearing out, and I need to replace them. I got the Carbotech Bobcat 1521's. Are there different sizes that I need to worry about, or if I just order a set will they fit? What's a good online place to order them?

Always glad to hear from another person who is enjoying the benefits! I have not been tracking my stock since we made extra sets this batch, we are now down to the last set of rotors. Please message or email ([email protected]) if you want to get a set without waiting. I'm so busy we won't have time to get another batch going till the fall at the earliest...meaning no new sets till 2020.

Thanks for all the support!
Dave

OK, so finally got around to installing the new rotors and brake pads.
The pads I got are the R6's. Broke them in on private road since actual instructions say to run a few laps on a track. They brake fine, even when cold (important for Roadster since I'm normally regen braking so the pads are cold when I need them the most).

However, they squeak.

I realize that's to be expected considering they're autocross pads, but thinking I should replace with GS-1s instead. Anyone done a side by side comparison? What would I give up in terms of feel or performance from the R-6s?

PS: Here's G-Loc's compound comparison page: Brake Compounds - G-LOC Brakes - G-LOC Brakes

I had really bad squeaking on my original installation, too. It drove me nuts. I just switched to the GS-1's. No noise at all!

Didn't drive it enough yet to do a comparison to the R-6's. I'm just so glad the awful squeaking is gone. The original installer did not let the Brake Quiet set in on the original pads and unfortunately they always sounded awful. I don't autocross or anything so I think the GS-1's will be just fine for my occasional around the town driving.

I'm going to give a big shout out to Gruber here in Phoenix that did the work. It was my first time using them and they fixed the issue. They seem to care about servicing Roadsters much more than Tesla. Here's a quick pic from their shop:

IMG_1122.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Roadster