Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, one last (?) question: Once the goo dries, and you gently slide the pads back into the caliper housing, being careful to not scrape off the dried goo on the edge of the piston, is there any sort of first thing you need to do before driving off?

What I'm thinking of is to press hard on the brakes before moving the car, so to set the piston into the dried goo before things have a chance to shift. Is that a good idea, or am I making things up based on an incomplete understanding on how things work?
Greg,
Yes, clamp the brake down hard and this should set the pads in the correct location.

{sigh}

I unfortunately have to report that a re-application of the goop to the pad did not work. The mechanic said he did some research on his own, and applied some to the piston as well. Dried and re-assembled. Pushed on the pedal to set the piston into the pad, then let it sit for a few minutes before driving it. He said that it worked, but on the way home I tried it, and the clacking was definitely still there. In fact, it seemed to require less braking force than before to cause it.

I'm still not quite sure that he got the idea that the goop needs to be totally dry. He said that it "would get hard", so I'm thinking he thought that totally hard was bad, and still assembled the brakes too soon. To those who have succeeded, drying totally hard is what we want, right? Even if he used a heat gun on the pads, I doubt it was used on the piston, so perhaps that's where the error was? The car was only driven a few miles (home to shop) before being taken apart, so the front brakes were likely still stone cold.

I asked him what he would do if this didn't work (this was before the test drive), and he said that he was thinking to swap brake pads with the driver's side (the ones that are working) in order to see if perhaps the pads or rotors were at fault. I'd strongly prefer not to touch the left side, since it's working.

Any last thoughts?

Hi Dave,

I received mine today and they look great...

Me or my Tesla Ranger will install them...

In layman's terms - the brake quiet goop - Is it supposed to be a high temperature adhesive?
Or is it suppose to be a "textured spacer/shim filling the space between the pad and piston?"
Or is it a "sound deadener" to keep the parts from ringing or finding a resonance?

I think this is the 3rd batch of the rotors.
Is it this batch or 2nd batch that the pads were pre-broken in?

Thank you, Shawn

We changed our rotors and pads a couple of weeks ago. Here’s the procedure our tech used:

Apply the brake quiet to the back of the pads and set them aside to dry.

Clean the rotors (Dave uses a soapy solution and a brush - they use Dawn, then rinse, and allow to dry) then with brake cleaner to get the shipping protectant off.

We followed @strider’s instructions - Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

Per our SC - Tesla recommends using blue loc-tite on both the 5mm rotor to the hub bolts and also to the 8mm Allen caliper to the knuckle bolts.

Also, per our SC - The torque on the rotor to the hub bolts is 20 N/m and the caliper to knuckle bolts is 45 N/m

Hi folks, an update...

I'm back at the shop. We compared the new Gloc pads with the original ones, and find the new ones are definitely smaller, which is the root cause of them rattling. Also see a lip on the outside edge, where the pad is hanging over the edge of the rotors by about a mm or so.

The thought is to weld a shim on the side of the Pad so they will fit more snugly, and grind a camphor on the outside edge. But, shouldn't these have fit as-is??

• Informative
Reactions: ICON
I am corresponding with GLoc about the backing pads now. More info soon I hope. The outer edge hanging over the rotor is not an issue, it's common for aftermarket pad manufacturers to put more material on there pads to make sure they have coverage for all applications. This material will just fall off with no negative effect since it's on the out side edge and will not interfere with the pad or caliper removal.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Hey there,
If anyone has problems with the pad rattle, please contact me at '[email protected]' I have 3M high temp adhesive that will be easier to use for the front pads than the Brake Quiet. I can ship out patches you can put on the back of your backing plates to help keep them tight on the front pistons in the calipers. All pads that will be sent out in the future will have the adhesive already installed and all you will need to do is pull the protective film off the back and slide the pad into place after you have retracted the pistons.

Now the dust has settled, I still have 4 sets of rotors ion stock and ready to ship. Let me know if you want a set. I will be putting them on eBay next week at a higher price to cover all the fees but you can still get them directly from me at $1595.

Thanks for all the support.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
A follow-up report: I had the mechanic scrape off the goop and installed the 3M sticky pads. Not sure why, but they worked! No clicks. Yea!

Also to confirm slcasner's report that the brakes do get stronger after a bit of use, so now they feel slightly better than the originals were under the best of conditions. And, no rust to deal with. Thanks to all who helped get this right. Very happy now.

I got these rotors around the end of 2016, and then sat on them until now for no good reason.

They're light years ahead of the stock ones. Totally worth the money and effort. The car actually stops in the rain without pumping the brakes! It feels good rather than the usual range of lethargic to frightening.

Thanks so much for doing this.

I have picked up mine kit
DSC_0118.JPG

They looks great

Only installing left
I will take it some day when i feel i have time to do it

Now have i installed my break rotors

DSC_4906.JPG

One of the old ones

DSC_4907.JPG

Repced with a new

DSC_4908.JPG