Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that a couple of weeks have passed ("AWD+" owners)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say BIG effect on "all around driving". The car feels like it is many hundreds of pounds lighter and more "sure of itself". Kind of feels telepathic now as jetting from rolling position "A" to "B" feels instantaneous. Definitely an "overall driving" experience, and not just a "launch" experience. YMMV

Interesting. That's very attractive to me if it feels better driving daily. I am over 50 now, and we won't go into my long past of pushing cars to their limit, but these days, I don't really value an extra 1/2 second off 0-60 times on my daily driver when I can already beat just about anything off the line.

The really interesting part is that Julien says it doesn't change daily driving for him. So now I have to wonder if I will notice it or not. Wish they gave you a 24 hour trial.

....The really interesting part is that Julien says it doesn't change daily driving for him. So now I have to wonder if I will notice it or not. Wish they gave you a 24 hour trial.
Not exactly what I said. I read your question to ask if there were negatives to it, like maybe "jerky" starts. Normal driving is a VERY open to interpretation term. If you put in Chill Mode or drive like that then it would be relatively the same. However if you want a little more acceleration/response in your "normal" drive then you get it. So in effect it can be either/or depending on what "normal" is.

Interesting. That's very attractive to me if it feels better driving daily. I am over 50 now, and we won't go into my long past of pushing cars to their limit, but these days, I don't really value an extra 1/2 second off 0-60 times on my daily driver when I can already beat just about anything off the line.

The really interesting part is that Julien says it doesn't change daily driving for him. So now I have to wonder if I will notice it or not. Wish they gave you a 24 hour trial.

@TLLMRRJ
I’m 55, going on 56. I think Julien may be the exception here, after reading many posts on many forums. Search on “Boost” and you will find several threads discussing the matter. Perhaps find someone locally who has the Boost option installed and see if they will give you a ride. That sort of thing happens frequently here. Good luck!

Are you sure you want that? That would be like giving your brain a direct hit of dopamine and then saying “It’s only $2,000 to feel like that whenever you are driving”. ;)

Yeah, I'd pay it if it's something I would feel the difference in everyday driving. I have some pretty fun weekend cars in the garage, so I wouldn't pay it just for the occasional 0-60 run. I get my thrills with those other fun-only cars.

I'll try to find someone in Houston with the upgrade that would let me try it. Would also be cool if the Tesla showroom would offer test drives of the upgrade on their cars.

Yeah, I'd pay it if it's something I would feel the difference in everyday driving. I have some pretty fun weekend cars in the garage, so I wouldn't pay it just for the occasional 0-60 run. I get my thrills with those other fun-only cars.

I'll try to find someone in Houston with the upgrade that would let me try it. Would also be cool if the Tesla showroom would offer test drives of the upgrade on their cars.
Shoot your local SC a msg and post a request here for a local AWD+ owner to give you a ride. Let's us know what you ultimately decide; and if it is to go for the upgrade, post a review here!

So, how are all you "AWD+" owners (Boosted LR AWD) feeling about your investment and experience?

Still loving it here, especially the P-level BOOST while rolling! :D

I think the value at $2000 is questionable.
BUT I at no time have second guessed my decision.

Car is better now so worth it to me and I can feel the difference when accelerating in all conditions not just in a race scenario. Can also still as before drive as conservatively as I want with self control of the (gas) pedal without anything drastic like Chill mode.

I feel more power to the front wheels now when accelerating ; I would guess that may aid traction as a result but have not seen any evidence of that?

I think the value at $2000 is questionable.
BUT I at no time have second guessed my decision.

Car is better now so worth it to me and I can feel the difference when accelerating in all conditions not just in a race scenario. Can also still as before drive as conservatively as I want with self control of the (gas) pedal without anything drastic like Chill mode.

I feel more power to the front wheels now when accelerating ; I would guess that may aid traction as a result but have not seen any evidence of that?
Yes more power to the front was confirmed by those who have accessed the CANBUS data. This information can also be found in the TMC forum by searching "boost" or "AWD+" etc. The car feels much more balanced and sure of itself with additional power to the front drive. Prior to the update, the vast majority of power came from the rear DU, IIRC.

This video is very interesting.

This guy didn't realize his order for the acceleration boost was already applied to his car even though he was driving it around normally. He noticed something different when he punched it, but now I am thinking the people that say it's different for daily driving may be having a placebo effect:

This guy didn't realize his order for the acceleration boost was already applied to his car even though he was driving it around normally. He noticed something different when he punched it, but now I am thinking the people that say it's different for daily driving may be having a placebo effect:
Sorta reenforces what I said requiring 2 posts.;)

I would say BIG effect on "all around driving". The car feels like it is many hundreds of pounds lighter and more "sure of itself". Kind of feels telepathic now as jetting from rolling position "A" to "B" feels instantaneous. Definitely an "overall driving" experience, and not just a "launch" experience. YMMV

This description is why I purchased the Model 3P, pretty much word for word.

The only way it could have changed for normal driving is the accelerator pedal calibration. It's a trick Automotive OEM's have been using for years to make their cars feel more "Peppy".

I don't know if I can tell if it was changed in the upgrade. I have an organic closed loop acceleration feedback sensor that I utilize to determine how much to push the pedal, but it is highly inaccurate at times.

• Funny
Reactions: Vaillant
The only way it could have changed for normal driving is the accelerator pedal calibration. It's a trick Automotive OEM's have been using for years to make their cars feel more "Peppy".

I don't know if I can tell if it was changed in the upgrade. I have an organic closed loop acceleration feedback sensor that I utilize to determine how much to push the pedal, but it is highly inaccurate at times.

Passengers with weak internal components may experience intermittent open loop operation of their organic acceleration feedback sensor. Refer to vegan leather cleaning instructions in owners manual when this occurs.

@TLLMRRJ
Another TMC thread that started just before the option was offered, and is still going strong, that you may want to scan.

MASTER THREAD: "Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker