Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that FSD is gone...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla removed FSD from the order page to reduce confusion but all it did was create confusion of another kind.

This really needs to be a sticky:

FSD is not "gone." It's just not on the online order page. It's available to order with a phone call. Nothing else has changed. The development roadmap hasn't been altered. It's still in progress, with all the uncertainty and speculation that encompassed FSD before.

Umm, considering it was supposed to be offered two years ago, the “roadmap” has most definitely been altered, heck it took them two years to just get to reliable mostly trusted AP. And, no we still don’t have a EAP since there is no auto anything, hence we are still at AP. And, the EAP they offered in the alpha was one near death experience after another....

We really need as a community to stop apologizing and making excuses for Tesla, we didn’t set the markers or the timelines and spout all about exponential curves and how we’d have a meaningful fork in three months maybe, definitely in six...

We as a community need to hold tesla accountable, and stop giving them another free pass, whenever they indicate a new feature that has nothing todo with what was actually sold. Don’t get me wrong I love the gimmicks, but how about delivering on features that were fully paid first. The tail can only wag the dog for so long.

Umm, considering it was supposed to be offered two years ago, the “roadmap” has most definitely been altered, heck it took them two years to just get to reliable mostly trusted AP. And, no we still don’t have a EAP since there is no auto anything, hence we are still at AP. And, the EAP they offered in the alpha was one near death experience after another....

We really need as a community to stop apologizing and making excuses for Tesla, we didn’t set the markers or the timelines and spout all about exponential curves and how we’d have a meaningful fork in three months maybe, definitely in six...

We as a community need to hold tesla accountable, and stop giving them another free pass, whenever they indicate a new feature that has nothing todo with what was actually sold. Don’t get me wrong I love the gimmicks, but how about delivering on features that were fully paid first. The tail can only wag the dog for so long.
Sorry BigDog, don't mean to be contrarian with you on back to back posts, but...

While I agree with you that Tesla has a long history of overpromising and slow on delivering, personally I would still give them a pass for the time being. They did promise EAP/FSD and a lot of us bought in on that vision, this FSD thing is hard. Many companies are investing billions in the race to be first, yet there's nothing out there that can do FSD officially. When someone other than Tesla releases FSD, I have a few pitchforks I can share. Otherwise, I'd give Tesla a bit more time. Although I feel that Tesla should compensate those who are leasing cars with FSD for lack of it.

Sorry BigDog, don't mean to be contrarian with you on back to back posts, but...

While I agree with you that Tesla has a long history of overpromising and slow on delivering, personally I would still give them a pass for the time being. They did promise EAP/FSD and a lot of us bought in on that vision, this FSD thing is hard. Many companies are investing billions in the race to be first, yet there's nothing out there that can do FSD officially. When someone other than Tesla releases FSD, I have a few pitchforks I can share. Otherwise, I'd give Tesla a bit more time. Although I feel that Tesla should compensate those who are leasing cars with FSD for lack of it.

No worries mate, Tesla new the problem and released a video indicating they solved the problem, or were on a path to be close to it, with Elons exponential curve. Etc. I’m not aware of any company taking money for a feature they haven’t delivered or even have working in development and still giving times to people and hiding behind regulators that don’t seem to exist.

I’ll point out, they haven’t even delivered EAP yet.

I’m not aware of any company taking money for a feature they haven’t delivered or even have working in development and still giving times to people and hiding behind regulators that don’t seem to exist.
Apparently you've never purchased really expensive software. Happens ALL the time in the software world where companies promise the world and give you something less. Heck, it even happens in inexpensive software: ever heard of Microsoft?

I knew that I was signing up for the long run when I purchased the Tesla, and when I added FSD. It was basically a gamble and I'm still thinking I will be ahead in the long run - but the problem with a gamble is that sometimes you lose. At this point, I still believe that FSD will happen and that Tesla will be one of the companies most likely to do it first (or somewhere near first). The car is phenomenal, execution is already years ahead of every other company, so I sure think I can continue to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing and PrGrPa

The problem with exponential growth is, that people think exponential growth has to be super fast.

Imagine I could send you back in time 200 years to invest some money and then come back. Now you get to a bank and the bank person asks you if you want 2% interest, exponential growth, or whatever you pay in added each year, linear growth. What should you choose?

Well, if you invested $10k in 2% exponential growth, you’d have about 520k, with linear growth you’d have 2 million.

Sure, at one point exponential growth will always beat linear growth, but it can take a long time until that happens.

I'm not making excuses, nor am I saying that FSD is just around the corner. My comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the development timeframe. That's why my original post included the phrase "with all the uncertainty and speculation that encompassed FSD before."

I'm simply saying the feature, as it is offered for sale, is not "gone," as is frequently mis-reported. It's still available for purchase, just not online.

We purchased FSD for our 2017 S and 2018 X not because we expected to see Full Self Driving in the near term, but because we do expect the AP software to provide features beyond EAP, in driver assist mode.

NOAP (Navigate on AutoPilot) will likely be restricted to limited access highways for EAP (which is probably what Tesla should have done with AutoSteer, because when driving on other roads, lane keeping isn't sufficient for safe driving).

Musk tends to overly optimistic projections of delivering major functionality of aggressive schedules. When Tesla posted the video when AP2 was released, I didn't look at that as proof that FSD was almost ready - instead I suspected it was a proof-of-concept demonstration in a carefully controlled environment used to demonstrate Tesla's AP2 sensors should be sufficient to implement FSD, without using Mobileye's technology. Drawing boxes around objects showed the sensors were able to detect the objects - interpreting what those objects mean and translating that to safely driving is significantly more complicated. And as with most proof-of-concept prototypes, the video gives the impression the software was fully functional, only with a extremely small fraction of the functionality actually implemented.

Are we going to see FSD operating in all road conditions any time soon? No. And we'll be satisfied with that, as long as Tesla continues to make progress implementing FSD, and provides NOAP in more situations, usually in 'driver assist' mode.

Patience... We're planning to keep our S & X until each has at least 100K miles or 8 years, and over that time, and expect we'll start seeing value in the FSD purchase some time in the next 12-18 months.

Reactions: posity
those of us who paid for it in advance.. do we get our money back?
For those who missed it, FSD is back on the menu. :)

tesla-screen-cap-with-fsd.jpg

$3K for AutoPilot (which is above FSD), $5K for full self-driving. Does yours really say $3K *below* the FSD option?

I know Tesla is offering a discount on EAP and FSD to those who already own a Tesla, but pretty sure anyone who is ordering now pays $3K for EAP, $5K for FSD. $4K and $7K after delivery respectively.
Pretty sure he’s referring to the post delivery price for his X. It will be reduced/updated to $2k per EM.

$3K for AutoPilot (which is above FSD), $5K for full self-driving. Does yours really say $3K *below* the FSD option?

I know Tesla is offering a discount on EAP and FSD to those who already own a Tesla, but pretty sure anyone who is ordering now pays $3K for EAP, $5K for FSD. $4K and $7K after delivery respectively.

Attachments

• 7AB7B86B-12F4-4C63-A68C-31C60543E47E.jpeg
    7AB7B86B-12F4-4C63-A68C-31C60543E47E.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 38
So you already own a Tesla, right? For those who do, who did not yet purchase AP or FSD, Tesla has stated that AP is available to them (to you?) for $2K and FSD is available for $3K. The screen you sent is not from the new order screen, so I'm assuming you already own a Tesla and this is your "upgrade to FSD" option. Right?

This is the company's way of giving those who paid the higher prices before the recent price adjustment some form of compensation.

Source: Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

-CB

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
So you already own a Tesla, right? For those who do, who did not yet purchase AP or FSD, Tesla has stated that AP is available to them (to you?) for $2K and FSD is available for $3K. The screen you sent is not from the new order screen, so I'm assuming you already own a Tesla and this is your "upgrade to FSD" option. Right?

This is the company's way of giving those who paid the higher prices before the recent price adjustment some form of compensation.

Source: Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

-CB

Correct. I already own my car. I didn’t pay a full price for it because I bought an inventory model, so I am still ahead (only way to buy a Tesla IMHO).