Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that we have in-app upgrades, possibility of more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my greatest fear, as I absolutely Hate recurring monthly fees. There's no way I'd ever pay a monthly service fee for something that you either have or don't have, with zero costs to maintain. If Tesla decides to go down this rabbit hole for something like this, I think they will be publicly tarred and feathered.
I'm the same way and can't stand monthly fees. I'd rather pay a lump sum in advance than have to pay monthly fees!

Reactions: APotatoGod
Software as a Service is the model that most big companies are adopting. This is the primary reason I purchased a Tesla, and I've been shocked at how long it's taken other manufacturers to try to catch up to this model.

In general, I agree that I wouldn't pay monthly fees for hardware. For those things, they should offer both a monthly fee & a one-time purchase option. This is potentially an area where a fee to unlock battery capacity would make sense for drivers (but probably not for Tesla). Like if you take 1 long trip a year, maybe you'd want the ability to get the full LR capability, but can only afford a lower version.

For other software capabilities, I would be willing to pay some monthly fee, and I think it's much less likely that we'd see purchase options here (except maybe with a new vehicle). I think figuring out the pricing for this stuff will be very challenging. While most Tesla owners are not price-sensitive, we also don't want to feel like we're being ripped off.

I'd probably pay for CarPlay. But I don't know what my cutoff point is. $10/m is probably a no-brainer. $20/m probably requires more thought. Anything more, and I probably wouldn't pay, just on principle. Depends on how much I want to suffer just on principle though :)

I assume they'll start putting together different sorts of feature "bundles". So there's an entertainment package, security package, maybe a performance package. They could also do a road-trip package, which could include the battery capacity unlock + maybe offline maps capability.

Reactions: lnsh
What I don’t understand is why it has an option for me to buy a $4k FSD upgrade when I already have it? :)
Collect all four!
Screenshot_20191219-113645_Tesla.jpg

• Funny
I'd probably pay for CarPlay. But I don't know what my cutoff point is. $10/m is probably a no-brainer. $20/m probably requires more thought. Anything more, and I probably wouldn't pay, just on principle. Depends on how much I want to suffer just on principle though :)

+1 for CarPlay but would rather have it a one time charge vs monthly.

What ambient lighting is software disabled in SR/SR+? Do you mean fog light? None of the trims have pocket lights anymore, is there a light in the footwell that's only available on higher trims?
ambient lighting includes map pocket lighting and footwell lighting. the upper trims include hazard lights on the doors, that are only reflectors on the SR/SR+.

i have fog lights on my SR+

What I would really like to see is them break up the FSD into smaller manageable pieces. I’d like (at a much smaller cost) to add the self park, lane change with blinker, and maybe summons... but really have no current need for the main FSD door to door option.

$7k is also very hard to swallow in one big chunk... $500-$750 for a feature would be much easier IMO.

ambient lighting includes map pocket lighting and footwell lighting. the upper trims include hazard lights on the doors, that are only reflectors on the SR/SR+.

i have fog lights on my SR+
Thanks for the information, so for newer 2020 SR+ the only software locked lights are fog lights and possibly foot well lights (I haven't been able to verify they are physically there). Since the pocket lights and door hazard lights are physically absent.

What I don’t understand is why it has an option for me to buy a $4k FSD upgrade when I already have it? :)
Me too. Bought FSD with original purchase July, 2018. Now the “Upgrades” shows FSD avail for $4k+tax as an eligible upgrade, and nothing in the Purchased tab. I have FSD in my Tesla account, on the invoice, on the Monroney, and the $3k dip in my checkbook. Don’t quite understand.