Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now THIS is how options should be done!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, like half the Internet, I’ve been eye-balling the new mid-engine C8 Corvette which debuted yesterday. Yes, yes it’s an ICE car (although plug-in hybrid is rumored for future), but it is the first Vette to generate some excitement beyond traditional Vette buyers in years. I even found myself muttering “Man, this could get me back into an ICE car”. Anyway, what has always bugged me about Tesla was their limited palette of options and the differentiators on the performance trims in particular.

Anyway, if you can actually get into the configurator on the Chevrolet website for the new Vette (Interweb has it overloaded), check out the options: 12 exterior colors (inc 2 reds, 2 blues, orange, yellow and even a homage green to Zora Argus Duntov), 13 interior color combos (including blacks, 2 reds, blue, gray, natural, two-tones, etc). Beyond that, there are any number of wheel options, trim options, roof options, etc. Like the black side blade - keep it. Want it to disappear and have it body color - yep that’s an option. Love or hate the new Vette, it is definitely nice to have a CHOICE especially at these price points!

Anyway, if you can actually get into the configurator on the Chevrolet website for the new Vette (Interweb has it overloaded), check out the options: 12 exterior colors (inc 2 reds, 2 blues, orange, yellow and even a homage green to Zora Argus Duntov), 13 interior color combos (including blacks, 2 reds, blue, gray, natural, two-tones, etc). Beyond that, there are any number of wheel options, trim options, roof options, etc. Like the black side blade - keep it. Want it to disappear and have it body color - yep that’s an option. Love or hate the new Vette, it is definitely nice to have a CHOICE especially at these price points!

Totally agree with you !! I like blue cars and now there are two blue colors to choose from !!

So, like half the Internet, I’ve been eye-balling the new mid-engine C8 Corvette which debuted yesterday. Yes, yes it’s an ICE car (although plug-in hybrid is rumored for future), but it is the first Vette to generate some excitement beyond traditional Vette buyers in years. I even found myself muttering “Man, this could get me back into an ICE car”. Anyway, what has always bugged me about Tesla was their limited palette of options and the differentiators on the performance trims in particular.

I guess this is the drawback of Tesla’s dealerless sales system. Those highly automated manufacture robots are difficult and expensive to re-config. When you don’t have dealers to buy every new car off the line, you have to make you configurator as simple as possible so they can be made smoothly.
However for a car as expensive as roadster, bespoke manufacturing should be possible.

Last edited:
Did you have something like this in mind?

color-kit.jpg

If I would finally be proved not able to afford roadster, I will definitely consider C8 as an ICE replacement to fulfill my supercar dream.

I've been looking for a replacement for my NSX and have considered the new Roadster, NC1 NSX, McLaren and even a Supra. My Model 3 Performance buying experience was the worst car buying experience I have ever had and was definitely not a confidence builder...one could get 2 or 3 C8 Corvettes for the price of the new Roadster though ....

In the beginning, nobody will be able to purchase the C8 at list price. Many options will not be produced for a while and you will need to wait for certain configurations.

Typical additional dealer markups will be posted at your local Chevy dealership, and allocations will be tight for a while.

Expect first year quality to be horrible, with few dealers having experienced technician. Forums will begin to light up with all the teathing problems like cooling, poor track endurance, alignments, smelly interiors etc.

Next year will be much better with many enhancements. Those buying the first year will experience horrible depreciation in exchange for being the first one on the block to have one.

The car will have world class specifications and will be the best thing since sliced bread...until the owners begin to post their horror stories on their avid forums.

When the car becomes available with integrated electric assist, and the parameters will go up by a big margin. Think this will be the car many are dreaming of.

Still will suck compared to performance of the New Roadster...but cheaper.

Reactions: Roys3
I've been looking for a replacement for my NSX and have considered the new Roadster, NC1 NSX, McLaren and even a Supra. My Model 3 Performance buying experience was the worst car buying experience I have ever had and was definitely not a confidence builder...one could get 2 or 3 C8 Corvettes for the price of the new Roadster though ....
I agree. That's partly why I started this thread: Tesla "Sportster" on Model 3 Platform