Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NPR: Car Dealers Sue Tesla, Citing State Franchise Laws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon clearly takes the position that Tesla sees it as wrong for a manufacturer to open stores in direct competition with existing franchise dealers that had already invested in selling the manufacturer's car. In other words, Elon is basically saying this is legal for us to do, but it would be illegal and wrong for GM, Mercedes or any of the other existing carmakers to drop out of the dealership system and copy us because the dealers have already put time and money into marketing existing carmakers products.
It would be interesting to see this backfire:
"In a landmark decision, not only was Tesla point of view supported but the existing dealership laws were recognized as outdated and not appropriate for today's marketplace. As such, GM and other established automakers are now allowed to open their own stores with the following restrictions: ..."

I agree with other posters: this is not about Tesla. This is about protecting existing dealerships from being undermined by their OEMs by direct internet sales. Think about it: if GM offered internet sales for their cars, they could undercut GM dealerships severely, while still relying on those dealerships to provide free test-drives and car services. Bookstores have had this issue with Amazon, and the car dealers are determined not to go down this road.

Because this isn't about Tesla, there's room for a settlement. I doubt there will ever be a bench decision, let alone a landmark decision. (Unless I can get DOJ to vacate these laws entirely.)

I agree with other posters: this is not about Tesla. This is about protecting existing dealerships from being undermined by their OEMs by direct internet sales. Think about it: if GM offered internet sales for their cars, they could undercut GM dealerships severely, while still relying on those dealerships to provide free test-drives and car services. Bookstores have had this issue with Amazon, and the car dealers are determined not to go down this road.

Because this isn't about Tesla, there's room for a settlement. I doubt there will ever be a bench decision, let alone a landmark decision. (Unless I can get DOJ to vacate these laws entirely.)

NADA is probably more scared of amazon.com selling cars than GM.com

From http://www.law.fsu.edu/journals/lawreview/downloads/293/Forehand.pdf :

Sec. 218.01(3), Stats., is a part of the Wisconsin Auto Dealership Law, which was enacted in 1935. Implicit in this law is the recognition of the gross disparity of bargaining power between the manufacturer of automobiles and the local retailer. It was enacted in recognition of the long history of abuse of dealers by manufacturers. These laws deal with the relationship between auto manufacturers and auto dealers. The purpose of the law is to furnish the dealer with some protection against unfair treatment by the manufacturer. Sec. 218.01(3)(f) was enacted into law in 1955. Earlier enactments had guarded against specific evils occasioned by what the legislature considered the unfair or overreaching tactics of manufacturers, e.g., forced acceptance of unordered autos or parts; coercion or unfair treatment through threat of cancellation; unfair cancellation or refusal to renew franchises, or without due regard to the equities of the dealer.36

The term "forced acceptance of unordered autos or parts" reminded me of the difficulties Nissan had (or still has) with dealers selling the Leaf and/or providing fast-chargers and/or L2 chargers to customers, be it their own customers or those of other dealers. How can a company sell EVs (or any other product which has effects on the business model), if dealers don't want to sell or stock them? (And Nissan has the advantage of being an established company).

Reading more from the above link (which isn't specifically about Wisconsin) suggests that the concept of an "unfair advantage" comes specifically from the scenario of a franchised dealer competing with company stores. The manufacturers can exert power (for example on the margin) through limiting supply with cars (especially ones that are in short supply). Or, I *guess*, by enforcing different requirements, per contract, on the dealers, than on its own company stores. However, having to cope with manufacturer's requirements is only "unfair" if there are *different requirements* for different dealers or manufacturer stores. I suppose that different manufacturers are still free to have different requirements.

All that reasoning only applies *if* there is a franchised dealer to be protected against "abuse" and unfairness. It cannot (or should not) inherently mean that a company has an obligation to create franchised dealers, who then need to be protected.

It appears that these laws protect franchised dealers from their *own* OEMs from who they obtain a franchise agreement, and not from competing brands or products.

- - - Updated - - -

To make that point clearer, the laws (in so far as they are being discussed, to our knowledge) appear to be meant to protect one party in a franchise agreement against another party in that franchise agreement. Once such an agreement exists.

However, there exists no such agreement between the dealers who are suing, and Tesla.

All that reasoning only applies *if* there is a franchised dealer to be protected against "abuse" and unfairness. It cannot (or should not) inherently mean that a company has an obligation to create franchised dealers, who then need to be protected.
Sounds a lot like being forced to buy something so that you are "involved in commerce" so that the government can regulate it.

Now where have I heard that before recently...

I don't think the concern is actually so much about Tesla, it is about the precedent it sets. If other manufactures move to an internet based sales model, they would follow the playbook established by Tesla. Dealerships are very threatened by alternate sales models. I think Audi is also experimenting with direct sales.

Just imagine the precident it would set if the dealers won. Would all the Travel Agents go after the airlines for back commissions?