Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NR EVGO Chademo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
Anyone used this in California? I got a membership from them and used 4 times at 4 different location (i.e.: Corona - Costco Plaza) since there isn't too many SC around So Cal. I haven't see them billed my credit card yet. I wonder if they are slacking off or is it free ehehhe.

By the way, what's cool about their CHAdeMo is that it is limited to 30 minutes of charging. After you press START to charge, after 30 minutes, it stop charging. Which is cool for those who are waiting and always know when they can just disconnect other people car to charge yours. hehehe.

The Super Charger should have similar.

Yes I have used many of them. They have quite a few of these. I agree the 30 min limit is a good idea. The idea is to keep the chargers free not have people use it as parking spots.
Not sure when they bill you. I think once a month.

It's not free, they are just slow in billing, I have been charged for using the Corona one.

nrg.png

There's no reason for Tesla to put a 30 minute time limit on the Supercharger, unless they guarantee that I can get fully charged in 30 min.

if I really needed a full charge at a 50kW CHAdeMO station with a 30 minute limit, and I needed an hour to charge, it would be a MAJOR pain in my posterior to go to lunch and midway, come back to restart the charge.

No thanks. Great for LEAF drivers.

30 mins is good, if u need more restart. It forces ppl to be courteous to other drivers. I've seen ppl at rancho location parked there over an hr when they had finish charging in much less time. They too busy shopping or eating lunch, hogging up spaces. Or charge ppl or something. It's a minor issue now but as more Tesla are on the road esp Model 3, it's going to be a nightmare

30 mins is good, if u need more restart. It forces ppl to be courteous to other drivers. I've seen ppl at rancho location parked there over an hr when they had finish charging in much less time. They too busy shopping or eating lunch, hogging up spaces. Or charge ppl or something. It's a minor issue now but as more Tesla are on the road esp Model 3, it's going to be a nightmare

So, here's a simple question:

If they're not moving their car when the charge is complete, how does a 30 minute limit change that dynamic?

Having the sc design spot similar to evgo with longer cords so you can park facing both side. Once 30 mins are met and system stop charging, the next user can unplug that person car to charge theirs.

If the want to continue with the short cord design, implement a card rfid system that tracks who is charging, if full or limit is met and idle greater than 10-15 mins, charge them a fee for each interval mins parked.

Do something is better than do nothing and keep status quo

Yea, 3 of 8 are next to each other, leaving a Hugh part of OC / LA / inland empire without SC.

Those living in places like brea, diamond bar, Pasadena, etc don't have access to SC. There far more CHAdeMo than SC for convenience

How about no time limit and the charge plug unlocks when charging is complete... then you can use it.
That's not bad, but often a car will charge at a very slow speed (you could charge faster on the J1772 plug next to it) as it approaches full.

I would suggest that as long as the car is pulling 10 kW or more let it charge longer than 30 minutes. If the car pulls less than 6 kW, stop the charge even sooner.

What am I missing here? How does shutting off charge force people to be courteous? Unless it disconnects and remote controls your car to move it, it just results in a partly charged Tesla taking up space instead of one still charging.