Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but I did not want to start another session, since they charge $4.95 each.
That's the biggest problem with eVgo - either you pay crazy a-la-carte QC fees of $4.95/session + $0.20 minute, or you pay $14.95/mo + $0.10 minute. You pretty much have to use one 2x/month to break even, but if you use it a lot, it's a great discount. I personally wish they'd simply charge $0.20 / minute for say the first 90 minutes of use a month, then drop the rate to $0.10 / minute for subsequent minutes. That $4.95/session fee really discourages short top-off charges.

Strangely, there is another eVgo CHADdeMo charger just a block away at a 7/11. It had 2 Leafs parked there, so I'm glad I tried the outlet mall, I was the only one charging the whole time
The eVgo freedom stations (the ones with 1 Nissan QC, 1 ABB CHAdeMO/Combo and 1 J1772 station) are the stations that NRG is forced to install as part of a settlement due to screwing California ratepayers back in the Enron days. The 7-11 station was installed by another party, not sure what, but eVgo manages it. I would also opt to go to the location with 2 QCs first - more likely to have a plug open.

Reactions: Ulmo
The plans were designed for Leafs, and Leafs can't get from one market to another easily. I wonder if NRG even knows that Teslas with battery sizes several times that of a Leaf are about to try to use the charging stations.
When I called to active the charger (since the RFID reader did not work) the support person noticed I had a Tesla on the account. At first he pointed out that I should be using the J1772 charger, but when I mentioned I had the CHAdeMO adapter, he said "Oh yes, unless you have one of those". He seemed like he'd heard about it, but had not come across one yet. I'm sure they will be seeing them more now.

- - - Updated - - -

The 7-11 station was installed by another party, not sure what, but eVgo manages it. I would also opt to go to the location with 2 QCs first - more likely to have a plug open.
I'm not sure why the 7/11 put one in honestly.

Malls and restaurants make more sense, since you are more likely to use them while waiting half an hour or more to change. What can you do at 7/11 for an hour? Also their parking lot is so small, the Plugshare comments mention it's ICE'd very frequently.

That's the biggest problem with eVgo - either you pay crazy a-la-carte QC fees of $4.95/session + $0.20 minute, or you pay $14.95/mo + $0.10 minute. You pretty much have to use one 2x/month to break even, but if you use it a lot, it's a great discount. I personally wish they'd simply charge $0.20 / minute for say the first 90 minutes of use a month, then drop the rate to $0.10 / minute for subsequent minutes. That $4.95/session fee really discourages short top-off charges.

That's probably good for Tesla owners. Short top-off charges are unnecessary and it discourages Leaf owners from doing just that. The only time you need a QC on the Tesla is for a road trip.

I average 37kW during the 20+ minute charge. I started at 45%.

It would be great if you could record Volts, Current, SoC, CHAdeMO Make/Model, and Tesla Battery size when possible.

37kW looks like 100 Amps x 370 Volts. If so, this would be the second case of a CHAdeMO adapter running at 100 Amps and not the 125 Amps that many CHAdeMO chargers and the CHAdeMO adapter are labeled for.

That's probably good for Tesla owners. Short top-off charges are unnecessary and it discourages Leaf owners from doing just that. The only time you need a QC on the Tesla is for a road trip.

I might be mistaken but I think Leafs get to charge at the NRG eVgo stations for free (or included with their car) for a couple of years. So these per session charges only affect other EV owners.

Malls and restaurants make more sense, since you are more likely to use them while waiting half an hour or more to change. What can you do at 7/11 for an hour? Also their parking lot is so small, the Plugshare comments mention it's ICE'd very frequently.

ICE'ing at 7-11 is, I believe, 10 minutes at most.

It would be great if you could record Volts, Current, SoC, CHAdeMO Make/Model, and Tesla Battery size when possible.
Yes. I never saw greater than 100 Amps, even though it says 125 Amps on the unit label. I plan on going back when I get the batter below 20% to test it again. I'll also try to remember to have VisibleTesla running to get a better log of the charging.

Attachments

• IMG_0428_small.jpg
    IMG_0428_small.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 185
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 181
When I called to active the charger (since the RFID reader did not work) the support person noticed I had a Tesla on the account. At first he pointed out that I should be using the J1772 charger, but when I mentioned I had the CHAdeMO adapter, he said "Oh yes, unless you have one of those". He seemed like he'd heard about it, but had not come across one yet. I'm sure they will be seeing them more now.

- - - Updated - - -

There are three 7/11 stores in San Diego that have newly installed Chademo DC Fast Chargers. This is because Green Charge Networks received a CEC grant to install these with associated energy storage and they will study the effects of that system on the store's usage and report back to the CEC. The batteries can be used to mitigate demand, and can be charged during off-peak periods...

They hired eVgo to install and manage the DC Fast Chargers for them at the stores. These units are in Carlsbad, on Convoy St, and in PB at Balboa and West Mission Bay Drive. More opportunities to charge is a good thing, and there will be some good experience and data collected on the energy storage aspect of the system...

Yes. I never saw greater than 100 Amps, even though it says 125 Amps on the unit label. I plan on going back when I get the batter below 20% to test it again. I'll also try to remember to have VisibleTesla running to get a better log of the charging.

I'm starting to wonder if Tesla limited the current to 100 Amps to avoid some of the problems that they were having, at least on some stations.

Does anyone know if the CHAdeMO standard passes the make and model of the charger to the car/adapter? If so, Tesla could limit charging current on a model by model basis.

There were reports of beta testers getting more than 100 Amps. A European has reported 110 Amps on a "163 ABB station." This one appears to be a "Terra 53 CJ" ABB unit. It's flyer says it can supply up to 120 Amps on CHAdeMO: ABB Terra 53 CJ Flyer

110 Amps in Europe Reference: CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration - Page 78

I tried the CHAdeMO charger again today on the ABB Terra 53 CJ dual CHAdeMO/CSS charger, this time starting with the battery at 35%. It hovered right around 100 Amps the whole time (sometimes dropping to 99A, the popping to 101A, then back to 100A). It averaged 37kW, 370 Volts and 100A.

However, it shut off after 30 minutes. I called NRG and they said the CHAdeMO's are set to shut off after 30 minutes "to protect the battery", which I pointed out was not necessary for a Tesla. He said the "manufacture set it that way" and they cannot change them.

They charge $4.95 per session, plus $.20 per minute. SO it's $10.95 for 18.5kWh of charge. At almost 60 cents per kWh and having to go back and manually restart the charging every 30 minutes, I will not be using eVgo, unless I absolutely have to...

Try the Nissan QC - I don't think you'll have the same issue with the 30-minute limit.

The 30-minute limit to protect LEAFs is BS anyway - the car is responsible for protecting it's own battery. It's probably done to keep one from hogging a charger for too long if anything. What it should really do is only shut off after 30+ minutes if the car is pulling less than say 6 kW or so.

Frankly, I'm OK with $0.60/kWh for occasional use considering peak power pricing here in SDG&E (~$0.50/kWh). But like I said earlier, if you use it more than twice a month it's worth paying the $15/mo fee to QC for $0.10/min.

However, it shut off after 30 minutes. I called NRG and they said the CHAdeMO's are set to shut off after 30 minutes "to protect the battery", which I pointed out was not necessary for a Tesla. He said the "manufacture set it that way" and they cannot change them.

They charge $4.95 per session, plus $.20 per minute. SO it's $10.95 for 18.5kWh of charge. At almost 60 cents per kWh and having to go back and manually restart the charging every 30 minutes, I will not be using eVgo, unless I absolutely have to...

What is the proportion of eVgo to other CHAdeMO units in the San Diego area?

I'm still deciding whether to order one (once I get the email…), and about the only reason for me to get one would be for destination charging in San Diego (or LA/OC) when we're over there this summer, or for an occasional trip down to Tucson (which are GOE3 units…).

Considering NRG's byzantine method to sign up for eVgo and the 30 minute session cap, I'm really wondering if its even worth getting the CHAdeMO adapter...

What is the proportion of eVgo to other CHAdeMO units in the San Diego area?

I'm still deciding whether to order one (once I get the email…), and about the only reason for me to get one would be for destination charging in San Diego (or LA/OC) when we're over there this summer, or for an occasional trip down to Tucson (which are GOE3 units…).

Considering NRG's byzantine method to sign up for eVgo and the 30 minute session cap, I'm really wondering if its even worth getting the CHAdeMO adapter...
Probably 80% of the CHAdeMO chanrger in San Diego are eVgo. The rest are Nissan dealers and a couple of Blink chargers (1/2 of which don't work)

I tried the CHAdeMO charger again today on the ABB Terra 53 CJ dual CHAdeMO/CSS charger, this time starting with the battery at 35%. It hovered right around 100 Amps the whole time (sometimes dropping to 99A, the popping to 101A, then back to 100A). It averaged 37kW, 370 Volts and 100A.

thanks for your report.

I was considering testing out the NRG eVgo network here in Orange County but instead I charged at a Chargepoint Nissan branded charger at the Marriott Courtyard Irvine Spectrum,
7955 Irvine Center Dr Irvine, CA 92618, I posted a couple of pictures on PlugShare. Interesting experiment. I charged 8.7 kWh in 15 minutes for $2.31.

There's a second option, if you think you might use their network frequently. The monthly $15 plan is $0.10 per minute. So, using the numbers from above - 37kw, or 1.23kwh/minute. Using their plan that's $0.12 per kwh. Not a bad price for the electricity, and $15/month for the infrastructure.

I guess it depends on how often you might have to use Chademo chargers.

Guy

I just signed up for EVGO, at pay per use plan, and will try it out. One thing I noticed is that there is no online account management; is that correct? Are people having trouble with it, or are the invoices clear enough and honest enough that no hanky panky or online management is necessary?

It turns out there's two Chademo EVGO stations at Whole Foods downtown where I live, so I'm going to see how many more EVGO's there are around. It seems like there are a few, and this could plug some holes in my travel.

Yes, I have the Chademo adapter, and confirmed it worked for the first time (ChargePoint FAST DC Chargers).

Last edited:
That Leaf owner's comment made me laugh this morning.

View attachment 206376
I was impressed to find that Travis discovered the combination of triple filtered electrons, monk blessing and aging. I surmise the electrons are imported because the monk is in Tibet and will not travel to bless.
As an aside I use Tibetan-Monk-blessed prayer beads in my Tesla. With the monk-blessed aid my car become much more efficient. I cannot give specifics because of the NDA with the Lhasa-based monk.
If anybody cares I can actually post a photo of my installation.
Luckily I need not use EVgo anywhere at any time.

I just signed up for EVGO, at pay per use plan, and will try it out. One thing I noticed is that there is no online account management; is that correct? Are people having trouble with it, or are the invoices clear enough and honest enough that no hanky panky or online management is necessary?

It turns out there's two Chademo EVGO stations at Whole Foods downtown where I live, so I'm going to see how many more EVGO's there are around. It seems like there are a few, and this could plug some holes in my travel.

Yes, I have the Chademo adapter, and confirmed it worked for the first time (ChargePoint FAST DC Chargers).
You're right, no online account management, and yes, people have trouble with it. I use EVGo rarely. When my credit card number was changed (again) I forgot to give it to EVGo so a charge was rejected. I got no notice of that. A few months later my credit card number was changed (again) and I did register that one with EVGo. Next month a large charge appears on my bill. I never received any explanation of it. I called and was told it was for the one charging session several months earlier, a late fee and and an account re activation fee. After lots of time on the phone they reversed it.

• Informative
You're right, no online account management, and yes, people have trouble with it. I use EVGo rarely. When my credit card number was changed (again) I forgot to give it to EVGo so a charge was rejected. I got no notice of that. A few months later my credit card number was changed (again) and I did register that one with EVGo. Next month a large charge appears on my bill. I never received any explanation of it. I called and was told it was for the one charging session several months earlier, a late fee and and an account re activation fee. After lots of time on the phone they reversed it.
At a gas station, such an action would cause a fist fight. So, now that we have electric, we can go to the corporate theft business model rather than a one on one transaction? Of course, gas stations was worldwide theft of massive proportions causing trillions of dollars and millions of lives in oil wars and pollution, so I'm not sure I'm complaining in the right direction. But we do need to vote with our dollars.

Thanks for the information. I will be treating EVGO with due vengeance until they clean up their act. (Usually, if a big anonymous invisible company in the cloud tries to charge me extra, I call them and have them pay extra to their customer support staff (more than they overcharged me) until they have fixed it to the point that I'm OK and they have to think twice to steal from me, and I'm very polite to them. I like putting customer support on hold a lot. "Please hold. Let me look that up. My computer is acting slow today. Wait, I have another call, please hold.")

My home High Power Wall Charger is where I guess I'll charge most of the time. I'll have to trust that I won't run out, push it to the limits, and charge when necessary. For the first week or so, I hunt around for chargers so I know the lay of the land, and then later, I can go ahead and skip all the chargers as much as possible. I have a long drive tonight to almost the foothills. Not sure where I'll go via. Perhaps Gustine (Santa Nella), or Manteca (ugh -- too close to the Stockton-Tracy-Modesto triangle for my comfort). Or, I can find another Chademo! (I already know SuperChargers work, so that seems almost boring in a way.)