Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA and QLD chargers with a 2019 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

NSW and VIC seem to be well enough covered with Tesla's own chargers. But QLD seems not so much - so I'm trying to make sense of which adapters I should buy to be able to move freely throughout QLD with my (soon to be delivered) 2019 Model S. Some of the posts here have me confused on whether Chademo or CCS2 adapters are best or even supported with my model. Can anyone clarify this?

Hey @ZeeDoktor - if you have a new 2019 Model S (ie. ordered/manufactured after May 2019) then you just need a CCS adaptor - I'm not sure if it comes with the car these days, but if not it costs approx $170-190 from Tesla.

The reason I mention it being post May 2019 is just to confirm in case you were buying a pre-owned, ex-demo or otherwise slightly older one, as Model Ss before this time need an internal hardware upgrade to be performed by the service centre - but all new Model Ss after this date have it as standard.

I tried to grab a YouTube video which demonstrates someone using a DC fast charger with their Model S with CCS adaptor, but I can't find such a video - it seems all the Aussie YouTubers decided to test it by going to a supercharger and use the cables with the CCS2 connectors! Which is fine if you want to test the adaptor but entirely pointless as all Australian superchargers (at this point in time) have the "classic" Type 2 style connectors which work natively with the Model S/X.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Hi Chuq, thanks for your response. I ordered a new Model S on Dec 4th, delivery supposedly in Feb (I don't have a date yet).

So travelling with a CCS Combo Type 2 and a CHAdeMO adapter should cover the Queensland electric highway and NRMA chargers in NSW?

Hi Chuq, thanks for your response. I ordered a new Model S on Dec 4th, delivery supposedly in Feb (I don't have a date yet).

So travelling with a CCS Combo Type 2 and a CHAdeMO adapter should cover the Queensland electric highway and NRMA chargers in NSW?
Just the CCS2. Any chargers I've seen in Qld that have CHAdeMO also have CCS2 and the CCS2 is required for the fast units.

Reactions: ZeeDoktor and Chuq
You will get a CCS2 adaptor to use with your model S. It comes free of charge. Everyone, including me, who has got once since August 2019 has received an adaptor.

Yes it works with the NRMA and Qld Government CCS2 adaptors (as well as every other CCS2 adapter I have tried in Vic and SA).

Reactions: ZeeDoktor