Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know when NRMA plan to start charging / limiting access to their network?
According to the FAQs on NRMA Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Network | The NRMA (my emphasis):

How much does it cost to charge my vehicle using the NRMA fast chargers?

NRMA Members are able to use our fast chargers for free*. While this is currently also the case for Non-Members, they will be required to pay in future. We'll give ample notice before this changes. To become a Member, join online or call us on 13 11 22. *Fair usage applies.

QESH sites are now handled by Chargefox, at (IMHO) quite reasonable rates.

Agree the Yurika/QESH rates at 20c/kWh are quite reasonable and likely represent a pass through of a blended wholesale rate.

Paying a bit more for ultra-rapid is fair enough given the additional infrastructure costs for 100+kW.

I'd hope NRMA go with one of the existing operators billing systems rather than yet another app.

On a short 3 day stay in Lake Macquarie region, yesterday went to Wallsend for a look around, morning tea at the Tempest and a charge at the NRMA charger. Had to do a couple of turns around the area before finding the correct car park as the nav told me to turn left instead of right. :rolleyes:

Some comments:
1 there’s no signposting to make locating the charger easier for a first timer. We need standardised signposting in Australia.

2 not all users are logging in to PlugShare, making it a lottery. Fortunately one of the two spots was free and the Leaf charging there left as we arrived.

3 by the time we left (after 45 minutes) the spot the Leaf used was ICE’d (they’d just arrived). I tried to tell them it was poor form but got yelled at for my trouble (“I don’t f...n care”). It was real f’n aggression! :eek:

4 no nearby toilet at this charger, and no cover in case of rain.

From other PlugShare comments, #3 seems to be a problem there so I’m going to write to both NRMA and Lake Macquarie (Newcastle?) council about monitoring the site and issuing infringement notices to people who misuse the spots. Also signposting to the location.
While in Wallsend I also parked briefly at the destination charger outside Liquorland. Both spots there were ICE free.

Reactions: cafz
On a short 3 day stay in Lake Macquarie region, yesterday went to Wallsend for a look around, morning tea at the Tempest and a charge at the NRMA charger. Had to do a couple of turns around the area before finding the correct car park as the nav told me to turn left instead of right. :rolleyes:

Some comments:
1 there’s no signposting to make locating the charger easier for a first timer. We need standardised signposting in Australia.

2 not all users are logging in to PlugShare, making it a lottery. Fortunately one of the two spots was free and the Leaf charging there left as we arrived.

3 by the time we left (after 45 minutes) the spot the Leaf used was ICE’d (they’d just arrived). I tried to tell them it was poor form but got yelled at for my trouble (“I don’t f...n care”). It was real f’n aggression! :eek:

4 no nearby toilet at this charger, and no cover in case of rain.

From other PlugShare comments, #3 seems to be a problem there so I’m going to write to both NRMA and Lake Macquarie (Newcastle?) council about monitoring the site and issuing infringement notices to people who misuse the spots. Also signposting to the location.
While in Wallsend I also parked briefly at the destination charger outside Liquorland. Both spots there were ICE free.
Newcastle-local here. Have contacted both NRMA and NCC multiple times about the frequent ICEing issues and neither are interested.

Correct response:
“You’ll care when I key the sh*t out of it, so move the f*ck’n thing before I drop you. “
I grew up around there and speak fluent Wallsendian.
Hmm... I doubt that would end well.

An alternative would be “Cool, since you don’t care, then you won’t mind if I photograph your registration plate and report your vehicle to Centre Management?”

Correct response:
“You’ll care when I key the sh*t out of it, so move the f*ck’n thing before I drop you. “
I grew up around there and speak fluent Wallsendian.
:p Thanks for the tip.
The young woman driver had the foul mouth, and her male companion said nothing, hiding behind a grinning clown mask; I wasn’t sure if he was cowed by her ignorant arrogance or he was a serial killer sizing up his next victim. Either way, I thought I’d better just get my arse back to Sydney! :(
Plus the second space was then free.

Reactions: alloverx