Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried charging at Wallsend at 6am on Saturday. One positive entry on PlugShare made me think I should give it a shot.

Alas I may have drained the battery a bit much during a long nap at Liddell, having overridden the air con preferences when I enabled camp mode. I had left Scone on 90%, failed to charge at Wallsend on 27%, and I reached Tuggerah on 1%. MCU nav kept trying to send me to Heatherbrae when I left Wallsend. Thankfully reaching Tuggerah barely required hypermiling. Unfortunately the MCU nav for Tuggerah ends at the bottom of that damned ramp!

Tight, tight!

About 10 days ago, we left Scone with 90% and got to a cafe on the Northern Beaches of Sydney with 34%, aircon and speed limits all the way (270km). But we did not have an air conditioned nap and it was also a LR.

Scone is only a single charger so hopefully that does not get vandalised or that area would become very poorly served. It is likely to get very congested with a few more EVs on the road. Hope they add a second one there.

I tried charging at Wallsend at 6am on Saturday. One positive entry on PlugShare made me think I should give it a shot.

Alas I may have drained the battery a bit much during a long nap at Liddell, having overridden the air con preferences when I enabled camp mode. I had left Scone on 90%, failed to charge at Wallsend on 27%, and I reached Tuggerah on 1%. MCU nav kept trying to send me to Heatherbrae when I left Wallsend. Thankfully reaching Tuggerah barely required hypermiling. Unfortunately the MCU nav for Tuggerah ends at the bottom of that damned ramp!
There is an alternative 50kW charger in Newcastle West, but it can get busy and you probably already knew that, and it is about 10km out of your way.

For those really stuck there are 11kW Type 2 chargers at Newcastle Uni which is closer than Newcastle West. BYO cable.

It's worse when you consider there never has been any 3rd party charging in the Central Coast or Hornsby Shire either. Once you pass Karuah Chargefox or Scone NRMA, there's currently no DC charging for non-Teslas til you reach Lane Cove Evie, Macquarie Centre Evie, or Seven Hills Evie.

And re the ramp at Tuggerah, I was more thinking in terms of I really don't want to drive up a steep ramp at 0% if I can avoid it :) My SR+ doesn't bottom out on it thankfully.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
It's worse when you consider there never has been any 3rd party charging in the Central Coast or Hornsby Shire either. Once you pass Karuah Chargefox or Scone NRMA, there's currently no DC charging for non-Teslas til you reach Lane Cove Evie, Macquarie Centre Evie, or Seven Hills Evie.

Yeah it‘s a pretty rubbish state of affairs. Surely Evie/Chargefox would be interested in the service centre at the Wyong North or maybe even Ourimbah at the rest area.

Southern Sydney is also poorly served.

Ugh. Is it a Tritium problem, or just that we see a lot of Tritium faults because there are so many of them?
Hard to tell given we don't have much to compare to. Certainly Chargefox had some issues with ABB originally.

But there does appear to be some parts delays with Tritium.. and Chargefox at least is calling them out on it - eg. From some of the Gold Coast chargers on Chargefox app.
Screenshot_20220419-151036.png

Screenshot_20220419-151057.png

Screenshot_20220419-151046.png

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Hard to tell given we don't have much to compare to. Certainly Chargefox had some issues with ABB originally.
The few Delta chargers around have had some lengthy periods out of service too.

But there does appear to be some parts delays with Tritium.. and Chargefox at least is calling them out on it - eg. From some of the Gold Coast chargers on Chargefox app.
It is certainly curious how there can apparently be parts available to build new units, but not to supply for repairs?

I genuinely wonder (as in: I'm not being cynical, not at all, not in the least) what the government would do if all of a sudden all petrol stations at the ~300km mark between Sydney and 600km+ remote towns had all pumps fail, effectively cutting the remote locations off. Surely they'd just leave that to the free market to resolve, right? Like they would never waive the fuel excise during a petrol price hike so that petrol companies can pump up the prices even more. I mean - that would be the pinnacle of cynical to suspect anything like that, right?

• Funny
Reactions: OzVic and Vostok
First Plugshare report is someone in a TM3 maxed at 42kW - so sounds more like 50kW (or the supply is limited)
He ended up getting 49.8kw (50) and the other side was 'available' at 25kw CHAdeMO. So looks like they've enabled both sides.

Not sure yet if it is 50kw CCS2 and 25kw CHAdeMO or 50kw to the first person who gets there.

Too bad there's only 2 EV spots, although there is one public space to it's right (and a disabled space to the LHS's left). So may be possible to have 3 cars charging if one is CHAdeMO.

I'll check it out myself tomorrow..

1651137497731.png

Last edited: