Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the wheels at the NRMA turn slowly.

Screenshot_20221026-191230~2.png

Only for the important things. They have a call centre ! Maybe you can call the expert each time you need to charge to check if it's working?

As you know, we’re passionate about helping everyone transition to electric vehicles. We recently launched our electric vehicle (EV) community, if you haven’t heard of it yet, you’ll receive an invite soon. Now, we’re introducing our team of EV experts – and you’re the first to get access to them.

Wherever you are in your journey, whether you’re considering buying an EV, already have one or just curious to learn more, our experts are available by phone to help answer your questions. You can ask them anything from details on running costs and EV models to specifics on charging, information on government incentives and much more.

We’ve set up a dedicated hotline for our EV experts that’s up and running between Monday and Friday, 9am-5pm. So, if you have any questions, now’s your chance to get answers.

Exactly.
Although note that Chargefox was bought by AMS (Australian Motoring Services), so it's probably not that simple.

And more crazily - double the money to hydrogen charging versus electric.
To add to your note, AMS already had a controlling interest in ChargeFox before the finished buying 100%.

If you have no morals then Hydrogen looks to be a great boondoggle. Make extraordinary claims, get money thrown at you and never actually have to deliver anything that works in any way shape or form.

Reactions: David Sowden

View attachment 867675
The thing that you have to ask yourself is why does the NRMA feel the need to create their own network when they already own a share of Chargefox? How dysfunctional must that relationship be for it to have been better for NRMA to set up and run a vary large network with no payment than to just work with Chargefox to do this?

The only clue that I have to this comes from the Driven podcast from earlier in the year where it was implied that Chargefox don't want to build a DC charging network at all, preferring to become a charging and management provider instead. This lead NRMA to do what they did with Ampol back in the early days of motoring and set up a network to enable their members to head boldly into the countryside.

The only clue that I have to this comes from the Driven podcast from earlier in the year where it was implied that Chargefox don't want to build a DC charging network at all, preferring to become a charging and management provider instead.
Even if Chargefox don't want to own first-party sites, if NRMA owns a charging network and through AMS / Chargefox is selling charging management / billing services to charging networks, they should at least be prepared to eat their own dogfood!

Reactions: WoodWombat
Even if Chargefox don't want to own first-party sites, if NRMA owns a charging network and through AMS / Chargefox is selling charging management / billing services to charging networks, they should at least be prepared to eat their own dogfood!
Exactly! If NRMA will not use Chargefox for billing and their app, then why would anyone else. It sends a very poor message about the future of the Chargefox network.

Has Chargefox actually delivered a single fast charging site since they finished the first stage of their network in 2020? I can't think of any.

Chargefox's only won a small amount in the mid-2021 Arena funding round - and only for SA and WA

I don't think any of those stations have popped up yet (and we also haven't seen anything from Engie) but they will also be doing the billing/rollout for the SA Govt / RAA

Jetcharge is doing the rollout of the WA network, and Chargefox does billing for the existing RACWA network, so not sure of involvement there.

Finally their billed network is expanding with Qld Yurika, Gold Coast and NSW UWS networks.

Chargefox's only won a small amount in the mid-2021 Arena funding round - and only for SA and WA

I don't think any of those stations have popped up yet (and we also haven't seen anything from Engie) but they will also be doing the billing/rollout for the SA Govt / RAA

Jetcharge is doing the rollout of the WA network, and Chargefox does billing for the existing RACWA network, so not sure of involvement there.

Finally their billed network is expanding with Qld Yurika, Gold Coast and NSW UWS networks.
Plus 15-20 sites for Electric Highway Tasmania (5 ARENA Hobart locations and 10-15 regional state government ChargeSmart locations).

Reactions: moa999
Update on Wollongong from the NRMA EV Community forums. Was added to Plugshare.

Whilst our technician and engineer complete the last few checks ahead of the imminent launch, the charging bays have been blocked off and both chargers are not in service in Wollongong. Testing was conducted over the weekend which is when it seems an eager EV owner was able to charge successfully before in was rolled back to not in service again. We often have sites live and open for public use well before any official launch ceremony. These ceremonies do help to spread awareness of new changers and EV ownership, but that is not why the Wollongong chargers are currently not in service. Once we have all the final checks completed we can open up for public use. As soon as we have a date for that, we'll be sure to announce it here.

Conversation at Bega NRMA charger today after waiting for the Ioniq 5 owners to return:

Ioniq 5 owner: Hi, are you waiting for the charger?
Me: Yes. This charger is busy, perhaps they need to install another one. Or perhaps NRMA needs to start charging a fee.
Owner: We charge at home when the sun shines.
Me: Oh so you are off grid?
Owner: No we are just stingy.

So as a bona fide traveller I had to wait for someone who was too 'stingy' to charge at home when they weren't getting sun on their panels. Being Bega, there was no Supercharger or other fast charger available which I would have happily gone to and paid.

It was getting late in the day, we had some km's to go. I was annoyed.
This is a problem at Bega. There is a woman with Model3P who charges there "why pay?" "Do you have solar at home? "Yes, but this is free ..."
NRMA needs to be charging => 50c/ kWh for members, and double for non- members, imho (I'm a member!). It would still be cheaper than SC, but would stop it being abused by tight-arses.

"an eager EV owner" - is the NRMA throwing shade at one of us?! ;):D
Hey! I resemble that comment. And don't kid yourself, at least two of us charged there when they left it switched on. The real question is why is it switched off? More dodgy Tritium gear?

And yes. It really, really shouldn't be free to use. I pay the going price just about everywhere. Heck, I just charged at Kirrawee, 7% to 94%, at 67c/kWh. It's worth it, and it's exactly enough time to visit Aldi and Coles, which I had to do anyway.

Last edited:
NRMA needs to be charging => 50c/ kWh for members, and double for non- members,
At a minimum they just need to be on an app - even if free. And I'm sure Chargefox could add them in a week.

To avoid freeloaders I'd say 20c/kWh is enough.
For those with solar it's the opportunity cost of feeding back to the grid (typically 4-10c these days)
And for those using the grid it's probably 20-40c depending on time of day and plan.

I'd also be inclined to price on usage.
Olympic Park, Wallsend, Mittagong, Picton (and Wollongong) at a higher rate say 40c/kWh

Yes I wish all operators started charging even if it was just a token fee equivalent to a standard consumer tariff. At most places free chargers may not be necessary to attract patronage any longer and may actually be working against them.
There was a queue at a local shopping centre for the free Tesla AC chargers the other day causing a traffic headache. Why queue for AC charging in a suburban shopping centre? Really that hard up after buying a $60k+ car?
Surely can't be worth it for a few percent added to a battery. There's cheap and then there's cheaper!
As power prices increase the fear is it will get even worse and NRMA charger queues will increase to the point that they will be generating negative press for themselves and EV drivers.
They need to hurry and fix their app and get things right. Rant over....

Why queue for AC charging in a suburban shopping centre?
If you don't have charging at home, then yes, it is worth it. Agree that they should charge at the standard tariff. Problem has been that until recently, Tesla destination chargers didn't support billing. The NSW Electric vehicle destination charging grants will probably result in a lot of billed AC charging being installed in a short period of time.

As for what NRMA should charge, 50 kW chargefox sites are already 32 c/kWh at 20% off for NRMA members, 50 c is too much.

Reactions: RareEarth