Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't have charging at home, then yes, it is worth it.
Yep totally agree. Weeding out the cheapos that do have access to home charging yet congest the AC chargers and make it difficult for those that would actually pay to use them.
My son will probably be in that boat, no access to home charging. That is if he goes ahead with the purchase of the BYD he has on order That journey is part of another long long story. He more than likely will purchase a M3 or wait for something better next year as he is getting quickly turned off by the brand representation in Oz.

It does need to be more than the domestic supply charge or the same people will keep driving from their house to use it "because it is cheaper".
Off-peak time of use tariff is less than 20 c/kWh, but if you can swing it, using excess solar on the weekend is the way to go. The opportunity cost of the solar feed in tariff is even less, unless you're a Queenslander getting 44 c/kWh feed in tariff until 2028.

Off-peak time of use tariff is less than 20 c/kWh, but if you can swing it, using excess solar on the weekend is the way to go. The opportunity cost of the solar feed in tariff is even less, unless you're a Queenslander getting 44 c/kWh feed in tariff until 2028.

When I first got solar in 2019 my FIT was 20c. It’s now 5c.

So I try very hard to export as little as possible by sending as much excess solar I can to my EVs. Unfortunately since Nissan killed their telematics system in 2021 it’s not possible to remotely start or stop charging on the LEAF 🙁

Unfortunately since Nissan killed their telematics system in 2021 it’s not possible to remotely start or stop charging on the LEAF
I have the same issue on my Zoe. However, I use my OpenEVSE which is on WiFi and accessible from anywhere via my mobile phone or a PC and I can start, stop, change the current, set timers and kwhr limits plus engage the tracking mode for "only charge with excess solar".

I have the same issue on my Zoe. However, I use my OpenEVSE which is on WiFi and accessible from anywhere via my mobile phone or a PC and I can start, stop, change the current, set timers and kwhr limits plus engage the tracking mode for "only charge with excess solar".

The in-built charging control capabilities of the LEAF are very primitive. How does OpenEVSE control the charge rate of the Zoe? Does it present itself as, say, a 7.2 kW supply, but then just vary the delivered power in accordance with excess solar or other settings? If the car is expecting 7.2 kW but doesn’t get it, no warnings are triggered?

The in-built charging control capabilities of the LEAF are very primitive. How does OpenEVSE control the charge rate of the Zoe? Does it present itself as, say, a 7.2 kW supply, but then just vary the delivered power in accordance with excess solar or other settings? If the car is expecting 7.2 kW but doesn’t get it, no warnings are triggered?
The Zoe is similar to the LEAF.
In the OpenEVSE, minimum charge rate is 6A and you can set the max in 1 amp increments up to 32A. When set in solar mode, the OpenEVSE tracks the excess solar (via MQTT in my case but it has multiple inputs possible) then it adjusts the charge rate between 6 and whatever max you select. You can also set a start time, stop time, duration or max kwhrs. The only thing I cannot access is the Zoe's SOC. Also, you can set the response time and smoothing for the excess solar to cater for the response time of the car, clouds et al. In my case, the Tesla responds more quickly to changing the Pilot signal than does the Zoe. The GUI of the OpenEVSE gives kwhrs delivered and time. Here are a couple of screenshots. Mine is an early version and later ones have extra capabilities.

Attachments

• open1.png
    open1.png
    75 KB · Views: 79
  • open2.png
    open2.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 31
  • open3.png
    open3.png
    133 KB · Views: 35
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Those with sharp eyes might wonder why the mains voltage is set to 77. I set it to 1/3rd when single phase charging because the my OpenEVSE is a three phase one. When "out and about" it defaults to 230V. One day I'll change the firmware so Type 1 charging (US 120V) is single phase 230V and Type 2 remains as now, three phase.

Sorry this has drifted away from NRMA charging! Just to finish off my disruption, here is a graph of my place yesterday. Yellow is Solar incoming, blue is power used in the house. It was a complicated day with breadmakers, dishwasher, kettles boiled, oven. Sharp spikes are a water bed and a fridge. Excess solar goes to the car as first priority, followed by any extra to a small LFP bank and any left after that to a big LFP bank. I had the OpenEVSE (on the Tesla) set to 12A max so that there was extra available above the car charging. The bit of yellow on the right (exported to the grid) happened because the Tesla reached 80% and both battery banks filled up.

Attachments

• emon2.png
    emon2.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 41
NSW funded Tesla superchargers, all 32 sites, will be open to all EVs and must include at least one Chademo connection per site.
As reported by NSW government department employees on Tesla Tom's live chat tonight.
Will be interesting how they achieve Chademo support as I think that will be a world first. Maybe just a third party charger included on site but I don't feel that is the typical Tesla way. Could we see a supercharger with a second cable that supports Chademo? Tesla already know how to have their cars talk Chademo so I wonder if they will just make their supercharger talk Chademo.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
NSW funded Tesla superchargers, all 32 sites, will be open to all EVs and must include at least one Chademo connection per site.
As reported by NSW government department employees on Tesla Tom's live chat tonight.
Will be interesting how they achieve Chademo support as I think that will be a world first. Maybe just a third party charger included on site but I don't feel that is the typical Tesla way. Could we see a supercharger with a second cable that supports Chademo? Tesla already know how to have their cars talk Chademo so I wonder if they will just make their supercharger talk Chademo.
Whoops posted to wrong thread.

NRMA has added a comment to the Plugshare reference for the notorious Mittagong charger.

It's down yet again, and they now seem to be saying that they are doing a full unit replacement with a newer model (maybe the 75kw?) and trying to add more stalls.

Here's the quote:
Nov 4, 2022
infomynrma
Apologies this site is not working. We'll be replacing with a newer charging unit and also working with the local area to introduce more chargers in this location. We'll provide a further update when the site is up and running once again.

Also appears that the 75kW charger at NRMA Wollongong site is now live (from multiple Plugshare reports), though still no official statement from NRMA.

Hopefully the new NRMA Mittagong unit has better uptime. Only one speed report (Leaf at 46kW) so not clear if its limited to 50kW.