Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How tight do you have to be to queue this deep for a free charge when there's a Supercharger 2 minutes away!

Screenshot_20221229-115523.png

How tight do you have to be to queue this deep for a free charge when there's a Supercharger 2 minutes away!

View attachment 889795
The supercharger at Port Macquarie had a fair wait 20-30 mins when I was there today, plugshare showed an even longer queue for the Chargefox down the road at Thrumster with 1 of 2 broken (they were both working a few days ago). Seems a big congested with people going north and south meeting up in the middle of the day. I got stuck in a queue for petrol at Tyndale trying to get to the Evie charger.

I also keep having to explain that the Tesla type 2 at V2 superchargers won't charge non-legacy model s/x vehicles, once for a Kona at Central Coast, and another impatient Model 3 at Port Macquarie (sorry, can't share the stall). I think people were well behaved queuing, but the site at Port Macquarie was really stretching capacity of the place it's at, especially with V2 stalls sharing 130 kW.

I used the NRMA chargers at Jindabyne a few times last year - two units, the only publicly accessible ones in town
I had to wait once or twice, and I reckon they will be much busier this year
does anyone know whether there’s a plan to increase the numbers of chargers at existing sites?

I used the NRMA chargers at Jindabyne a few times last year - two units, the only publicly accessible ones in town
I had to wait once or twice, and I reckon they will be much busier this year
I have my fingers crossed that the Jindabyne supercharger site will be up and running before 2023 ski season. It is proposed for the carpark near the bowling club and skate park, ie across the road from the old shops. It's planned as 6*V3 superchargers and part-funded by the NSW Government so - as a condition of that funding (unless it can have been negotiated around by Tesla) - should be open to all EVs.

Upside of this is it will take a lot of pressure off those two "free" 50kW NRMA chargers in the carpark behind Nuggets Crossing. Hopefully in respect of them they will no longer be free-to-everyone by the coming winter too which will take away some distortion in how/where people charge. More chargers, either from NRMA or some other operator, would be good in that carpark, but for some time, for 9 months of the year or so, they will be nothing more than a nice nesting place for local spiders.

I have my fingers crossed that the Jindabyne supercharger site will be up and running before 2023 ski season. It is proposed for the carpark near the bowling club and skate park, ie across the road from the old shops. It's planned as 6*V3 superchargers and part-funded by the NSW Government so - as a condition of that funding (unless it can have been negotiated around by Tesla) - should be open to all EVs.

Upside of this is it will take a lot of pressure off those two "free" 50kW NRMA chargers in the carpark behind Nuggets Crossing. Hopefully in respect of them they will no longer be free-to-everyone by the coming winter too which will take away some distortion in how/where people charge. More chargers, either from NRMA or some other operator, would be good in that carpark, but for some time, for 9 months of the year or so, they will be nothing more than a nice nesting place for local spiders.
aha!
I’d forgotten about the site near the bowling club - thanks
hoping it’s all working in time for the snow season

Reactions: Hairyman
The old Veefil 50kW at Wallsend has now been upgraded to an RTM 75! There's now two RTM 75's on site. 50kW max for Tesla's. Not sure if it goes higher for the 800V architecture cars.
The RTM75 can deliver its max power to 400V cars. If it's 50kW it's because they've installed it with two 25kW internal modules, no doubt because the site power connection was sized for the 50kW that was there before. They can still max out 50kW better than the old RT50 units because they have the current handling capacity to deliver 50kW even when the battery voltage is low.

I think the RTM75s have a much better reliability track record than the Veefil 50s? 🤔

The other 'new one' .. about 9 months old .. has been out of action 2 or 3 times. Better than the veefil though. I think it handles inconsistent grid voltage better. The veefil would error 38 and sit there for 2 or 3 weeks until finally NRMA would manage to get a sparky to come out and turn it off and on. The RTM gives some kind of status error but continues on at lower charge, or stops but is resumable with a re-plug.

The other 'new one' .. about 9 months old .. has been out of action 2 or 3 times. Better than the veefil though. I think it handles inconsistent grid voltage better. The veefil would error 38 and sit there for 2 or 3 weeks until finally NRMA would manage to get a sparky to come out and turn it off and on. The RTM gives some kind of status error but continues on at lower charge, or stops but is resumable with a re-plug.

I had error code 32 at the NRMA Veefil unit at Young last year, it charged for a few minutes then errored. I unplugged, re-holstered, then started a new session and the charge completed without further problems.