Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA Nabiac Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used this in the past week? I was going through on the weekend and since I just has CCS2 installed in my S I thought I would give it a go. Plugged in, pushed all the correct buttons and it started to charge at 50kW** then 2 seconds in the charge cut out and the NRMA charger displayed "error". I tried it 3 times and it did the same each time so I called NRMA to report a fault but they said it wasn't showing any faults. I then thought maybe my CCS2 upgrade wasn't working correctly, so I trundled on down to Heatherbrae SC and tried the CCS2 on the Tesla SC and worked perfectly - started at 126kW and I charged up to 80% (finishing at a charge rate of 54kW**)
I'm still thinking there is a fault with the NRMA charger, so would be good to hear from anyone else who has used it recently.

**bit disappointing that the NRMA charger at Nabiac is only 50kW..unless you are desperate it just isn't worth stopping unless you want to spend an hour or more stooging around Nabiac

Just asking, (I'm about to get my MS next month) but how do you pay for the electrons with the NRMA chargers? My nearest Tesla ones are Heatherbrae and Tuggerah but I'd like to have the other systems available when needed!

bit disappointing that the NRMA charger at Nabiac is only 50kW..unless you are desperate it just isn't worth stopping unless you want to spend an hour or more stooging around Nabiac

All NRMA chargers are 50kW. This is the “fast charger” standard, as opposed to ultra fast. They also cut out at 95%.
I’m very happy with their speed and the cost is perfect!
Last time I charged at Nabiac I did 5 laps around the oval for exercise.

Has anyone used this in the past week?
I’ve only used it once, on 19 Jan. Worked fine. Plugshare shows the most recent checkin only a few days ago - a Model 3 on 19th Feb. Apparently there is some easy way of resetting these things if it reports an error - google might be your friend.
**bit disappointing that the NRMA charger at Nabiac is only 50kW..unless you are desperate it just isn't worth stopping unless you want to spend an hour or more stooging around Nabiac
My charge there averaged at 40kW. In comparison, my charge at Heatherbrae SC was not a lot faster (50-60 kW, although my battery was 67% at the start). So I suspect the choice of public DCFC vs Tesla SC would make a big difference if battery charge was low, but not a lot if battery was much closer to full.

Update: taken a while for to get around to it, but I went over to the zetland (east village) chargefox chargers and tried charging using my model S CCS2 adaptor. The 350kW chargefox charger worked fine, but the 50kW charger (which is the same as the NRMA Nabiac one) started charging but then threw a communication error. So it seems my S CCS2 conversion works on Tesla CCS2 SC and 350kW Chargefox but won't work on NRMA's 50kW chargers.
Time for a call to Tesla service to find out what the issue is.

Question though, do you plug your CCS 2 adaptor into the Tesla first then plug the cable into the adaptor, or plug the adaptor into the cable first, then plug into the chargeport? I wouldn't think it would make a difference (I've only tried plugging in the adaptor into the cable then into the chargeport), but I read on another topic for CHAdeMo adaptors that it would always work if you plugged the adaptor into the car first, but sometimes would give comms errors if you did it the other way

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Update: taken a while for to get around to it, but I went over to the zetland (east village) chargefox chargers and tried charging using my model S CCS2 adaptor. The 350kW chargefox charger worked fine, but the 50kW charger (which is the same as the NRMA Nabiac one) started charging but then threw a communication error. So it seems my S CCS2 conversion works on Tesla CCS2 SC and 350kW Chargefox but won't work on NRMA's 50kW chargers.
Time for a call to Tesla service to find out what the issue is.

Question though, do you plug your CCS 2 adaptor into the Tesla first then plug the cable into the adaptor, or plug the adaptor into the cable first, then plug into the chargeport? I wouldn't think it would make a difference (I've only tried plugging in the adaptor into the cable then into the chargeport), but I read on another topic for CHAdeMo adaptors that it would always work if you plugged the adaptor into the car first, but sometimes would give comms errors if you did it the other way
I used that charger a few weeks ago with my new CCS2 adapter on my Model S and it charged successfully. The instructions specifically say to plug the adapter onto the CCS2 connector then plug into the car.
Ironically the 350Kw chargers were out of order at the time, which is why I used the 50Kw charger.