Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add in the Hornsby-ish charger Evie have on their planned map, plus Ourimbah (hypothetical) and Wallsend (exists but requires de-ICEing), it’ll work eventually.

Is Penrith/Caddens Evie -> Lithgow NRMA -> Mudgee NRMA -> Scone NRMA potentially a viable way to the north of the state? Unlikely but I’ll take your advice on it. Not that I’d trust your LEAF’s air-cooled battery.

It’d be nice if you could make it from Seven Hills Evie up the Putty Road to Pokolbin NRMA. But I assume that’s also kinda impossible.

Both chargers now included in ABRP.

Interestingly for a simple Sydney to Adelaide routing, going via Bendigo is still 20-40min quicker for SR+ and LR due to he faster charging.

Obviously most would break up such a journey with an overnight somewhere which may change things

NRMA Mittagong is currently out of service (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You)- unfortunate timing considering it's the last fast charger before you hit the LGAs currently under interstate COVID travel restrictions (Picton is in Wollondilly Shire).

A Model 3 LR could make it from Heatherbrae to Mittagong, but Goulburn seems like a stretch. The next best option seems to be Heatherbrae to the Berry Supercharger.

NRMA Mittagong is currently out of service - unfortunate timing considering it's the last fast charger before you hit the LGAs currently under interstate COVID travel restrictions (Picton is in Wollondilly Shire).

A Model 3 LR could make it from Heatherbrae to Mittagong, but Goulburn seems like a stretch. The next best option seems to be Heatherbrae to the Berry Supercharger.
The VIC advice for travelling in NSW has changed recently. A week ago, it was permitted to drive from one “green zone” in NSW to another via Sydney, and enter VIC without quarantine, provided that any stops in Sydney were essential (e.g. toilet stop, food stop, supercharging) and of minimal duration.

But now you’re not even allowed to do that. You can’t even do a ‘virtual’ bypass Sydney via the M1/M7/M5, even if you don’t stop at all. That means any trip in NSW from north to south with the aim of getting to VIC has to go via Bathurst or Dubbo and bypass Sydney completely. A bit of a detour!

But now you’re not even allowed to do that. You can’t even do a ‘virtual’ bypass Sydney via the M1/M7/M5, even if you don’t stop at all. That means any trip in NSW from north to south with the aim of getting to VIC has to go via Bathurst or Dubbo and bypass Sydney completely. A bit of a detour!

The ACT allows transiting Sydney as long as you don't stop at all. However, in the SR+ we are going to have to make the same inland detour - I think probably via Mudgee and Bathurst.

Looks like Jerilderie is live!

upload_2021-2-13_17-44-0.png

In The Coonamble Shire Council newsletter:

NRMA charging up
NRMA representatives have met with Council staff to discuss potential sites for the installation of electric vehicle charging stations in Coonamble.
The preferred site for charging stations is Skillman’s Lane car park, with installation likely to occur before the end of this year.
The NRMA has installed more than 44 fast chargers for electric vehicles across regional NSW along most major highways, including the Hume, Newell, Sturt and Oxley Highways, as well as the Mitchell, Pacific, Olympic and Great Western Highways.

Reactions: Anubis
As well as Homebush, which is regularly busy or ICEd.

A couple of recent reports on Plugshare about Picton and Mittagong having queues of multiple cars near zero SOC, so forced to wait.

NRMA needs to look at expanding these sites and starting paid charging (to deter freeloading)

Meantime one should ensure they have other options for these chargers near Sydney.

As well as Homebush, which is regularly busy or ICEd.

A couple of recent reports on Plugshare about Picton and Mittagong having queues of multiple cars near zero SOC, so forced to wait.

In my view, it's a big risk to arrive at a single stall site with a very low charge state. Single point of failure. And even if it's working ok, as you point out there can be a queue, or the site might be ICEd

NRMA needs to look at expanding these sites and starting paid charging (to deter freeloading)

I agree - NRMA needs to start charging for these. You often see a queue (including Teslas) at the single stall Berry bowlo, when there's 6 Tesla stalls 5 minutes away.

In my view, it's a big risk to arrive at a single stall site with a very low charge state. Single point of failure. And even if it's working ok, as you point out there can be a queue, or the site might be ICEd
NRMA Mittagong is a problem because it's single-stall & gets busy, but it's not as bad as you'd imagine. You just need to have calm and rational drivers in queue. It's a high-altitude site, so in most directions you're going downhill if you're headed to the next charger. You only need to add 15-20% if you can press on to Picton or Shell Cove and finish charging there. Even Berry is achievable on a tiny top-up. The struggle is if you want a solid charge to reach Goulburn.

One time I was next-in-queue at Mittagong & one driver arrived after me. She was near-empty and only needed a few percent to get home to Hill Top or Colo Vale or something in her LEAF, whereas I wanted a solid charge. It made perfect sense to let her cut in front once the previous person returned & unplugged.

A few weeks ago hilarity ensued when I was finishing up at NRMA Gunnedah, headed from Moree to Sydney. Yes, it's a single-stall site, and I had forgotten to check in. But it was 12:45am. Who'd have guessed that someone in a Model S would arrive at 1:25am headed to Narrabri? Fortunately I was almost done. I just needed to add a little extra to keep the air con running if (err, when) I decided to pull over and nap for an hour before I reached NRMA Scone.

I agree - NRMA needs to start charging for these. You often see a queue (including Teslas) at the single stall Berry bowlo, when there's 6 Tesla stalls 5 minutes away.
Yeah, umm, the Berry Superchargers are 11 minutes away from NRMA Berry. They may as well be in Bomaderry.

If I'm somewhere around Kiama/Gerringong and needed a rapid charge before Shell Cove was fixed, 22 minutes for a round trip to the Supercharger so that I can charge 20 minutes faster, and pay for the privilege, and burn 2% before I even reach the Berry bypass headed North again, wasn't appealing at all. Especially when just getting from Kiama to Berry was already a 40 minute round trip and required I keep 10+% up my sleeve to get there, and then burn that much again on the way back. A 3-4 hour nap while on three-phase was preferable to 2 hours driving and charging, only to get back with a paltry 80% available.

Thankfully now that Chargefox & The Waterfront have replaced the main breaker to the shopping centre, Chargefox Shell Cove is rock-solid. I use it at least twice a weekend. The cost is quite reasonable. And it's probably helpful that I keep scaring off the hoons who want to burn some rubber in their car park late at night.

I don't think it's that NRMA needs to install more here; I think it's more that Chargefox or Evie need to thank NRMA for doing free market research for them and install a 2+ stall ultra-rapid site in these locations!

Note that the Future Fuels grant is for fast chargers in various locations in and around major urban centres - in NSW this covers Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and areas surrounding *those* - so fairly wide ranging. Everywhere from Raymond Terrace to Katoomba to Kiama. (Not Mittagong though!)

NXzOH3q.png

Another condition of the FF grant is that the sites cannot have been previously announced so I guess that is why they are pretty quiet until the successful applicants are announced...

If I'm somewhere around Kiama/Gerringong and needed a rapid charge before Shell Cove was fixed, 22 minutes for a round trip to the Supercharger so that I can charge 20 minutes faster, and pay for the privilege, and burn 2% before I even reach the Berry bypass headed North again, wasn't appealing at all.

You'd have to admit though that your usage patterns are hardly typical. A trip from Kiama to Berry and back is not typically a trip that would require supercharging.

Most of the weekday traffic passing through the Berry area is headed to, or coming from points further south (which is the whole reason they spent millions on the bypass!).

But the point stands in terms of congested single stall NRMA chargers. A major contributor to the congestion is the fact that they are unsustainably free of charge.

I've also seen the same behaviour at Bathurst and Dubbo - cars waiting for a Tesla to charge at the one NRMA stall, while there's 4-6 Tesla stalls available 50 metres away!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
You'd have to admit though that your usage patterns are hardly typical. A trip from Kiama to Berry and back is not typically a trip that would require supercharging.

Most of the weekday traffic passing through the Berry area is headed to, or coming from points further south (which is the whole reason they spent millions on the bypass!).
Of course!

I'm just the guy who carries around 50 groups of riders a weekend explaining to them (well, to the ones who ask questions - which is most of them) what's easy about owning and driving an EV. I'll tell them truthfully. If a site is constantly down, or full, or cheap, or expensive... Well, that's what I'll tell people..

But the 22 minute point equally applies to northbound road trippers. If someone arrives at NRMA Berry, headed north, and finds a queue, then a round trip back to the Supercharger will add 22 minutes to their trip (less a few minutes for faster charging, sans a few minutes for wasted charge doubling back). Chargefox Shell Cove is a better option, sure, but they'd need ~15% left (assuming an SR+) to reach it. If they don't, it's probably easier to wait at NRMA Berry.

As with my Mittagong routine that one time, if there's a queue of rationally-minded people there, then...

* Work out who is headed north vs south
* Ensure the northbound folks have Chargefox accounts & have linked their NRMA membership
* Ensure they know how to find the basement at Shell Cove (plot the route on their MCU) & that they have the charge to reach it
* Remind them that using the Windang Bridge is faster than Albion Park Rail any day of the week, whether or not they're charging
* Confirm in-app that the site is active
* Suggest they charge there, so that Southbound drivers can get going sooner too

But the point stands in terms of congested single stall NRMA chargers. A major contributor to the congestion is the fact that they are unsustainably free of charge.

I've also seen the same behaviour at Bathurst and Dubbo - cars waiting for a Tesla to charge at the one NRMA stall, while there's 4-6 Tesla stalls available 50 metres away!
I agree 100%. It's a bit of a joke. I tend to move on when that situation arises - either immediately or fairly promptly.

Unless it's a PHEV, in which case, stuff em!
If the Evie site near the Crossroads gets built that should take some load off Mittagong/Picton, with more cars able to make it comfortably up the range to Goulburn.
Here's hoping that Evie Marulan morphs into Ampol Pheasant's Nest. That'd fix a lot of things, especially for people traveling from Wollongong via Picton Road, who wouldn't be helped by a site at Crossroads.

Last edited: