Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the key point regarding Tesla equipment is that ISO 15118 requires the digital powerline communication between the vehicle and the station that is used for CCS. I don't think any Tesla charging equipment has PLC chips inside. However, it is possible that the Type-2 Wall Connectors in EU and AUS/NZ do have it. I am certain that the North American Wall Connectors have single wire CAN and don't have PLC because North American Tesla vehicles only recently added PLC chips to the charge port ECU.
The wall connectors here use SWCAN as well. It's possible that they have latent PLC hardware, but seems doubtful. ISO 15118-8 does specify a WiFi alternative transport though, and the Gen 3 Tesla HPWC does have WiFi hardware...

• Informative
Reactions: moa999
I think the key point regarding Tesla equipment is that ISO 15118 requires the digital powerline communication between the vehicle and the station that is used for CCS. I don't think any Tesla charging equipment has PLC chips inside. However, it is possible that the Type-2 Wall Connectors in EU and AUS/NZ do have it. I am certain that the North American Wall Connectors have single wire CAN and don't have PLC because North American Tesla vehicles only recently added PLC chips to the charge port ECU.

It's the physical layer (specified in ISO 15118-3) that might well require a hardware upgrade. TLS is at a higher layer of the stack.

The wall connectors here use SWCAN as well. It's possible that they have latent PLC hardware, but seems doubtful. ISO 15118-8 does specify a WiFi alternative transport though, and the Gen 3 Tesla HPWC does have WiFi hardware...

Great posts.

If I'm understanding it correctly-- the ISO 15118 requires communication over the AC charging wires similar to Ethernet over Power adapters. This requires a hardware controller on the EV and EVSE side that can modulate/demodulate frequencies over the wire the establish communication (again similar to how Ethernet Powerlines adaptors require a wall plug on both ends).

I did a bit of digging and according to the Ingineerix YouTube channel, the CCS charge port on the Model 3/Y does have PLC hardware:

From: How Does Tesla Charging Work? An In-Depth Overview By Ingineerix
An interesting thing is that in newer cars (Model 3/Y as well as the refreshed Model S/X), the circuit board in the charging port is ready to handle CCS charging standard with the use of a Power Line Communication (PLC) chip. Tesla most likely uses it globally now, but in the U.S. it's not yet utilized (we guess that it will be activated soon, to use the newly developed CCS1 adapter).

I think its a fairly safe bet that at least the Gen3 HPWC does have a PLC chip also.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Any vehicle with a CCS charge port must have a PLC chip or the DC portion of the CCS won't work at all. That still doesn't mean that any AC EVSE should or would have PLC communication unless they wanted to support Plug-and-Charge. Tesla already uses SWCAN for digital communication between the EVSE and the car, so there is no need for them to put PLC into their Wall Connectors. They probably don't care about ISO compatibility with other vehicles.

And people who charge at a station that has poor on nonexistent phone reception. I like having an RFID card to tap.
No one is advocating for taking that away. I think the government incentive to install L2 charging should enforce that the EVSE has the capability of plug-and-charge via industry standards. If the EV maker decides to implement this or the user opts to use it, that's another question. However the point of enforcing plug-and-charge capability is to bootstrap the chicken and egg problem. It let's EV makers know that its worth it for them to implement the hardware and software in their vehicles for plug-and-charge as the L2/L3 charging ecosystem supports it.

It is a shame that we do have a small window to get things right with a unified charging network/backend payment scheme as we really still are at the 'beginning' of electrification. But the reality is bureaucracy will undoubtedly let the opportunity slip away.

I haven't got my M3 yet but I have 4 x charging apps (not including Tesla) all wanting payment info etc etc. I probably will never have to use most of them but it would be great and really show the rest of the country (world) how to do things if plug and charge was simpler/unified.

Reactions: Wol747
The latest from the NSW Net-Zero Transport team:

EV ready buildings – webinar and resources

With a global shift away from petrol and diesel run cars to electric vehicles (EVs) it is not a matter of if, but when, buildings will need to provide EV charging options.

We’re helping residential strata complexes and commercial premises prepare their buildings for the future. We have put together a 5-step process and supporting documents to help get your building EV ready .

Whether you are an owner, tenant, strata manager or developer our EV ready buildings content will help you get started. This includes charging options, costing tool as well as survey and letter templates.

To find out more about the online resources and tools join us for our webinar on Thursday 12 May.

New masterplan map instructional video

We have developed an instructional video to help you navigate our EV fast charging masterplan map with ease! The masterplan shows proposed future locations for fast charging infrastructure and the proposed number of chargers for each zone over the next 9 years. There are multiple downloadable datasets to support industry and planners find ideal public fast charging station locations.

And another $20m for funding of regional AC chargers by the NSW Govt for councils and local businesses. Grants of up to 75% of equipment and install cost. Just placing it here as given its only AC chargers it doesn't really need a separate thread.

Reactions: Hairyman
An update to the NSW EV charging master plan!

NSW increases funding for electric car charging network

Under the State budget being handed down tomorrow, a further $38 million will be added to NSW's electric vehicle charging network, and increases the total commitment under the NSW Electric Vehicle Strategy to a whopping total of $633 million.

The story also says:

"The new funding will be used to grow the state's charging network, with $18 million put towards additional grants for new fast-charging stations, and expand the number of charging points at each station in "high-density urban areas" from four to at least eight. The remaining $20 million will be split between co-funding 500 kerbside residential charging points where private off-street parking is limited"

Now, who knows if my representations to the NSW Net Zero Transport team last December regarding kerbside parking had any effect, but kerbside residential charging was not in the original EV plan, and now it is 😄

Bega Shire Council are in talks with an EV charging installer. Bega Shire include Bega, Merimbula and Eden along the Princes Highway on the Sydney to Melbourne route via cost in between the Narooma(current) and Cann River(planned) Tesla superchargers.

"Council staff have also been in discussions with an EV installer as part of Round 2 of the EV Fast Charging Grant program around specific site details to support business cases for other locations."

Speculation? Evie, ChargeFox, Tesla ?

"Council staff have also been in discussions with an EV installer as part of Round 2 of the EV Fast Charging Grant program around specific site details to support business cases for other locations."
I think I mis-read that, the further quote is
"Council staff are currently developing an EOI to the NSW Government EV Fast Charging Grants program for our preferred EV hosting sites in strategic locations. Bega is currently the focus of this work as it is identified as a priority area under the funding program. A key issue for Council and other providers to resolve will be the ongoing ownership, maintenance and funding of future EV charging stations.

Council staff have also been in discussions with an EV installer as part of Round 2 of the EV Fast Charging Grant program around specific site details to support business cases for other locations."

So maybe these are Bega Council themselves proposal with an contracted EV installer.
In reading this I think they might be implying both Bega town itself and other locations in the shire.

A few people inquired about the new $10M grant money available for large apartment buildings (> 100 parking spots) to have electrical upgrades to support EV charging. The programme is called “Making Buildings EV Ready (MBEVR)”

I asked the NSW Net-Zero Transport team about this and they said that anyone interested should sign up to their email list. New products/programmes are announced via this email list immediately after a launch. Go to this site and fill in your details in the “Stay Up To Date” section and tick the boxes for what types of information you wish to receive, particularly the last one “I would like to receive information on future Net Zero programs and offers”:

Electric vehicles - Stay up to Date

I also asked them about the kerb-side charging initiative for areas with limited off-street parking, and whether they had investigated any of the pole-mounted solutions I highlighted to them last year. They said they are yet to develop any details for this programme but will be considering all possible solutions.

Reactions: moa999
For those who didn’t know, battery EVs have been able to drive in T2 and T3 transit lanes in NSW since 1 November last year and this will remain in force until 31 October this year. It took me a while to find it, but it is captured in the Ministerial (Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Transit Lane Exemption) Order 2021. It was made on 23 September 2021 under Section 19 of the Road Transport Act 2013:

I’ve only done this a couple of times… and I‘m sure other motorists probably thought “Tesla driving w*nker” 😄 Note you must have your EV sticker on your rego plate to be exempt! The key bits below.

2. Commencement
This Order has effect on and from 1 November 2021 and remains in force up to and including 31 October 2022 unless revoked earlier.

4. Definitions
In this Order the following are defined:
battery electric vehicle means a motor vehicle that—
(a) uses only an electric motor for propulsion, and (b) is not fitted with—
(i) a fuel cell, or
(ii) an internal combustion engine.
hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle means a motor vehicle that—
(a) uses an electric motor for propulsion, and
(b) is equipped with a fuel cell for converting hydrogen to electricity, and (c) is not fitted with an internal combustion engine.

5. Circumstances
This Order only applies to a driver of a battery electric vehicle or hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle to which is affixed to the vehicle’s number plate a label in accordance with clauses 144A or 144B of Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017.

6. Declaration
Road Rule 156 of the Road Rules 2014 is declared not to apply to drivers meeting the circumstances outlined in clause 5 of the Order.

For those who didn’t know, battery EVs have been able to drive in T2 and T3 transit lanes in NSW since 1 November last year and this will remain in force until 31 October this year. It took me a while to find it, but it is captured in the Ministerial (Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Transit Lane Exemption) Order 2021. It was made on 23 September 2021 under Section 19 of the Road Transport Act 2013:

I’ve only done this a couple of times… and I‘m sure other motorists probably thought “Tesla driving w*nker” 😄 Note you must have your EV sticker on your rego plate to be exempt! The key bits below.

2. Commencement
This Order has effect on and from 1 November 2021 and remains in force up to and including 31 October 2022 unless revoked earlier.

4. Definitions
In this Order the following are defined:
battery electric vehicle means a motor vehicle that—
(a) uses only an electric motor for propulsion, and (b) is not fitted with—
(i) a fuel cell, or
(ii) an internal combustion engine.
hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle means a motor vehicle that—
(a) uses an electric motor for propulsion, and
(b) is equipped with a fuel cell for converting hydrogen to electricity, and (c) is not fitted with an internal combustion engine.

5. Circumstances
This Order only applies to a driver of a battery electric vehicle or hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle to which is affixed to the vehicle’s number plate a label in accordance with clauses 144A or 144B of Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017.

6. Declaration
Road Rule 156 of the Road Rules 2014 is declared not to apply to drivers meeting the circumstances outlined in clause 5 of the Order.
I've been doing it, works great on the T2 lane of the Warringah Expressway during peak hour. I always wonder whether I'll encounter a highway patrol officer not up to date with the rule, but figure I'll google it if they pull me over.