Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 7.08.52 pm.png

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Interesting that 11 of the 12 Tesla planning/announced sites also occur in the NSW funding sites. I guess Tesla was busy with their grant proposals.
I’m assuming that these sites will need to be open to all vehicles rather than exclusively Tesla. I hope the current & future Tesla-funded (no public money) sites remain exclusive to Tesla. At least until we reach a critical mass of chargers that makes them easy to find & working.

Reactions: Pete Gorton
Given what Tesla's done in Europe I suspect the majority of sites will be opened up..

Increased utilisation should actually help by amortising demand charges, install cost and maintenance and help reduce or stabilise the cost of charging - particularly for the more remote sites.

It also fits with Tesla's mission statement - "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"

Finally at the moment the estimate is there is something like 37k Tesla's in Australia under under 5k other CCS2 cars (excluding Leafs). The Tesla number will grow by about 10k per quarter. Others for now about 2k, maybe higher if BYD gets there act together..

How did they solve the charge-port-on-drivers-side problem in Europe?
They haven't afaik. In some cases non-Teslas effectively block two stalls (other cars with back left or front right or front centre are ok.

It wouldn't surprise me if the V4 supercharger (which has longer cables) can effectively be dropped into a V3 site to solve some of the issues, but I don't believe any V4s have been seen in the wild yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete Gorton
How did they solve the charge-port-on-drivers-side problem in Europe?
It *could* be solved by having an extra parking space on one end of the row... and then getting vehicles with ports on the left to start from one end, and then vehicles with ports on the right to start from the other.. even without the extra space, it would only be 1x bay which becomes unavailable.

That requires owners to have awareness of the issue and choose a bay based on their vehicle, however.

There seem to be a few that effectively add capacity (eg. 15 at Raymond Terrace only 1km from Heatherbrae).

If you click on the dots on the Google Maps link, there is more info including number of stalls.

Woy Woy is interesting - the address listed is a small shop next to McDonalds.

The Google Maps link upthread also now contains Evie, BP, Ampol sites.

Interesting some big applications by others as well - 10 stalls by Ampol at Bateau Bay, and 8 by Ampol seemingly in the Maroubra Junction shopping centre (their nearest petrol station is some distance away)

Last edited: