Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it will be 9 northbound and 6 southbound? It would be odd to put all 15 northbound with no crossover 🤔 and probably not cheap to add one, even if it was a single lane tunnel like at Pheasants Nest.
Northbound would be a particular concern at the end of any holiday weekend. Sydney folks leave on holidays at varied hours on the holiday Friday afternoon & evening, but seem to all return all at once on the holiday Monday evening. The smart ones will loop back southbound, assuming there are any chargers on that side.

And remember, this entire statewide rollout of EV chargers costs roughly the same as one pedestrian bridge near the SFS/SCG. I have to imagine it'd be cheaper to install wasteful charging infrastructure than build a bridge to save a few bucks on chargers.

Reactions: moa999
335kW is oddly specific and doesn't line up with ABB (who have a 350) or Amplitronic Hypercharge who have a 300.
I think the specs were poorly thought out - written with only Tritium in mind. Perhaps NSW Govt had to backpedal a little without straying so far that it annoys the other grant recipients. A 300 kW Hypercharger with 3 simultaneous outputs is much more preferable than a 350 kW Tritium with 2 outputs, only 1 of which can be used at once. Perhaps 335 kW is the peak speed available (not rated) and maybe there is a % of variability permitted from 350 kW.

I think the specs were poorly thought out - written with only Tritium in mind.
I think the kW ratings of chargers is a bit of a kerfuffle. As long as they can charge both 400V and 800V architectures, the amperage is the driving factor.

CCS2 has max rating of 500A so the most you'll get from a "350" kW charger is around 200kW for Tesla's. You might get closer to max if you import a Lucid Air.

Superchargers get 250kW by pumping out more than 500A .. as they don't need to follow any standard for their own cars.

"150" kW chargers that can only do 150 on some fairytale EV but 70-80 kW on 95%+ of EV's are a bit of a cop-out in advertising.

Reactions: Chuq
I think the kW ratings of chargers is a bit of a kerfuffle.

Also based on the complaining in plugshare checkins at the 350kw chargers, I would hate to be on the receiving end of the support calls at Evie/Chargefox.

A lot of new owners expect to get the 50/150/350 that the charger is rated at all the way from 0-100% on a cold winter morning.

I can see why some companies want to switch to advertising Fast/Super Fast/Ultra Fast instead of actual numbers.

I gotta say, hats off to the NSW Government (well, really this is all due to Matt Kean‘s push) for this programme. The scale of this is truly impressive and just goes to show what can be achieved when a Government puts their mind (and money) into a programme. 86 new sites and 500 DCFCs is mind-blowing and this is just round 1 of the grants! Wow.

The sites selected (at least the ones I’ve looked specifically at) also generally look fantastic - good, convenient locations with good amenity. I wonder if the scale of the Government‘s involvement has unlocked some prime sites that would have otherwise been hard to get for the individual network operators, else shaken loose some recalcitrant landlords.

I’m not sure they could have done much better. And apartment and kerb-side charging is still to come! Credit where credit is due.

Other states need to look on and consider whether what they are doing is enough.

There's a lot of rage overseas from 800V EV owners when they see a 400V EV park in the "wrong" stall - because they expect everyone with a 400V EV to know that higher numbers don't mean faster charging for everyone - and "hogging" a 350kW stall when the rest are 150kW might cause a few minutes of extra charge time for the 800V person :rolleyes:

The evenergi maps show that the sites will have at least 2 350KW chargers. To meet the NSW requirements.

"Each charging bay will have a rated output of at least 250kW, with 2+ bays having a rated output of 350kW."

I would think that means that at least some chargers at each site will be V4.
I actually wonder if it means Tesla are going to drop some chargers from another manufacturer in at their funded sites.

Reactions: ausevdriver
Other states need to look on and consider whether what they are doing is enough.
I hope that the Queensland EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme ones will be going the same way. Like the NSW one, this is a bigger funding rollout on top of an existing "bare bones (50 kW)" rollout. It has many of the same conditions (focus on higher speed, more stalls, no Chademo necessary, etc).

Vic and Tas seem to still be in the "bare bones" mentality. WA is slightly better but there will still be a lot of single stalls (or 1x DC and 1x AC) in their network. SA seems to be a bit more thorough with multiple locations each with multi-stall locations in larger towns.

Hopefully NSW and Qld will be a success and the other states will see the necessity of a robust, reliable network - more that just a network existing.

Reactions: Vostok
I've just added these sites to supercharge.info - well, most of them!
  • Three were existing ones that didn't need any change (Blaxland, Griffith, Bondi Junction)
  • Two were existing, that I've updated stall counts (Taree, Yass)
  • One was existing and I updated the stall count and address (Hay) - although further discussion in that thread suggests maybe the original address was correct
  • One I haven't added (Parkes) since there wasn't enough detail in the address and the street name happened to be the main street of the town.
  • One is an updated previous permit (Alexandria) which was set to "closed permanently" since that location wasn't happening - or so we thought! (Technically the new address is not the same, its a shopping centre adjacent to the store, but the old entry has been re-used)
The remaining 24 are new locations. A few notes:
  • Bega was listed as 176 Auckland St. This is a tiny single building University of Wollongong site that barely has 6 parking spaces on it. 106 Auckland St is a shopping centre (as are many others on the list) so I've used that address instead.
  • Jesmond's co-ordinates were vague, but there is a shopping centre on the (very short) road, so I've used that location.
  • Jindabyne's co-ordinates were wrong. Not only was it in the water, the street (Bay St) is about a kilometre away.
  • Wagga Wagga's location is an Ampol - I've kept this address but it is odd that Ampol allowed another operator to install there.
  • Woy Woy is a 12 stall site, but the listed address points to a tiny business that doesn't even have that many parking spaces. There is a McDonalds next door - but 12 spaces would be more than half the car park. I'm put the marker at a shopping centre on the other side of the road - with solar canopies throughout the car park. (Only other alternative that is likely - McDonalds is going to knock down the building next door and expand their car park.)
I haven't yet created threads for any of these new locations - the "discuss" links just point to this thread for now. Feel free to create as news comes to hand - I don't personally think there's much benefit to creating 24 threads that basically say the same thing!

Yep tend to agree on not creating threads until there is more info like Council Plans or actual construction.

In the Wiki, I called Alexandria a new site, given the old thread is more about the Service Centre, and unlike a few in Australia, I don't think Tesla actually own this one (there are a lot of land banked properties in the area), and the new site probably has different ownership.

It also brings up what Tesla is going to name the new sites in Coffs Harbour and Gundagai specifically. I see for now you've appended an address, which I think is similar to what Tesla did in Horsham at least temporarily.

Cafz used Town for Gundagai and appended Dog on the Tuckerbox for the existing, and we've added South and Park Beach for Coffs.

Anyhow hopefully we see the two Q4 sites start construction soon.

• One I haven't added (Parkes) since there wasn't enough detail in the address and the street name happened to be the main street of the town.
I think this one is likely to be in the Henry Parkes Centre. Peak Hill Road is not really that long within the Parkes town, it soon becomes Clarinda Street. If you enter Parkes Visitor Information Centre, contained within Henry Parkes Centre, into google maps its address shows there as simply Peak Hill Road.
I don't think there is currently any real food options in the centre but some snacks and driver reviver style tea and coffee. Not the worst location but could be a little closer to town and within typical walking distance of some more food options.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz
Yep the 'leak' had a street number which lined up with Henry Parkes Plaza.
162 Rouse St
Tenterfield 2372

Also Chuq, were you going to correct Jindabyne. The supercharge.info GMaps info still goes to the lake.
We are talking about the town Parkes here. Not the town, Tenterfield, for which Henry Parkes gave a famous speech. Both have various things named after him.
Address in this case is,
66-78 Newell Highway
Parkes 2870
Or
66-78 Peak Hill Road
Parkes 2870

Depending on whether the highway or local street designation is used.

Reactions: moa999