Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV Rebate & Home Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Potentially looking to purchase an M3 soon for ideally delivery around July 2023. Current wait time is around Feb-May so will likely delay a month or two. It's most likely a sales tactic but does anyone know how the NSW EV rebate numbers are going? I understand it is for the first 25k EVs and the Telsa rep mentioned it's running low.

What chargers are generally most recommended? We are two-phase with solar so looking for something more intelligent that will charge the car with excess solar rather than export. I see Zappi mentioned.

Thanks!

What chargers are generally most recommended? We are two-phase with solar so looking for something more intelligent that will charge the car with excess solar rather than export. I see Zappi mentioned.
I'd just get the Tesla HPWC, it's still pretty unbeatable value.

Some people are using ChargeHQ to control the Tesla charging rate to minimise solar exports (check your inverter is compatible), but even if you just set the Tesla to start charging at say 9:30am at a rate that's about what your excess normally is, you'll capture almost all the benefits. The small amounts of import you might do when the solar output momentarily drops aren't going to cost you much, it would take a very long time to recoup the additional outlay on a Zappi.

Reactions: Braz
Potentially looking to purchase an M3 soon for ideally delivery around July 2023. Current wait time is around Feb-May so will likely delay a month or two. It's most likely a sales tactic but does anyone know how the NSW EV rebate numbers are going? I understand it is for the first 25k EVs and the Telsa rep mentioned it's running low.

You need to look at my thread 😄

The NSW scheme started on 1 September 2021, while the RMS data is quarterly, so we can’t work out exactly how many BEVs have been sold since 1 Sep, but at the end of Sep 2021 there were 10,026 BEVs on NSW roads, and the most recent data (end Jun) there were 15,148 - so an increase of about 5000 in 3 quarters. But the additional complication is this is all kinds of electric vehicles at all price points.

The EV rebates are for the first 25,000 zero-emission vehicles with a dutiable value of less than $68,750. The rebate pool will last many more quarters even with acceleration of sales, I think you’ll be fine and the Tesla rep is making stuff up.

Reactions: backle
I'd just get the Tesla HPWC, it's still pretty unbeatable value.

Some people are using ChargeHQ to control the Tesla charging rate to minimise solar exports (check your inverter is compatible), but even if you just set the Tesla to start charging at say 9:30am at a rate that's about what your excess normally is, you'll capture almost all the benefits. The small amounts of import you might do when the solar output momentarily drops aren't going to cost you much, it would take a very long time to recoup the additional outlay on a Zappi.
Agree. I'm exactly like your situation. 2 phase power plus solar. Just lower your amps to roughly match your excess going back to the grid. Eg: for us we have a near 10kw system. On a sunny day we can charge at 16 amps and we are covering it with excess solar. Also, some energy providers are doing EV rates. Some free hours on the weekend 👍

Reactions: cafz
There is also nothing stopping the government extending the rebate if they want to. If they are pro EV and there is an election coming up???

Chris Minns has not said a lot about EVs. When the Government released its EV strategy in June last year, Chris Minns did say the policy was not ambitious enough and that "We need a plan to make NSW an EV technology leader, not just an importer of parts and an exporter of raw materials. Labor welcomes the government's measures ... now we need to think big and carve out a role for NSW manufacturing in the EV supply chain.”

I assume the NSW ALP will have some formal policy on EVs announced before the March election. It could include extending rebates or other measures. The NSW budget is currently in deficit but predicted to be back in surplus in 2 years… but we all know about budget predictions 😄

The NSW scheme started on 1 September 2021, while the RMS data is quarterly, so we can’t work out exactly how many BEVs have been sold since 1 Sep, but at the end of Sep 2021 there were 10,026 BEVs on NSW roads, and the most recent data (end Jun) there were 15,148 - so an increase of about 5000 in 3 quarters. But the additional complication is this is all kinds of electric vehicles at all price points.

The EV rebates are for the first 25,000 zero-emission vehicles with a dutiable value of less than $68,750. The rebate pool will last many more quarters even with acceleration of sales, I think you’ll be fine and the Tesla rep is making stuff up.
NSW government provides updates about the EV rebates quarterly, though with a bit of a delay.

Figures from Sep 2021 - Mar 2022 are published here,

Tesla Tom, on youtube, interviewed some people for the department responsible for this, they expected this policy to run a couple of years more still.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
NSW government provides updates about the EV rebates quarterly, though with a bit of a delay.

Figures from Sep 2021 - Mar 2022 are published here,

Nice - I had not seen that dashboard before. I would have guessed about 2500 rebates Sep-Jun (10 months) and this says 2177 in 7 months. If we go with ~4000 per year and doubling every year, the rebates would run out in 3 years, or roughly the middle of 2024.