Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV Warning label

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually its been updated to all EVs in NSW!

I've recieved a letter warning about them. Took the letter to service NSW as I haven't recieved stickers. Took 4 people at the first branch to say they can't help me and to ring up the main number as they haven't heard about it. The letter says to go to a Service NSW centre

Second service NSW and 3 service people later wrote me a thing to say I have attended a branch with the date and that these stickers are not available and they aren't sure when they will be available. Again they asked me to call up to find out what centre may have these stickers available.

As the letter states its law as of 1 July 2020 should I stop driving my EV until this is resolved, or carry the letter with me in home I don't get defected?

If its law why is it so hard for service NSW to answer any questions? And actually I haven't recalled any EVs yet with this sticker

As per RMS site

Safety labels for electric, hybrid and hydrogen vehicles
From 1 July 2020, all electric, hybrid and hydrogen light vehicles are legally required to have a safety label fixed to the front and rear number plates. This expands the previous requirement introduced on 1 October 2019, which only applied to light vehicles modified or manufactured after 1 January 2019.

Electric, hybrid and hydrogen heavy vehicles manufactured or modified after 1 January 2019 also require the labels.

The registered operators of all electric, hybrid and hydrogen vehicles will receive a letter with the labels and instructions on how to affix them, when their vehicle is first registered.

• Helpful
Reactions: JayTee
Anyone know if this is just vehicles with NSW registration?

VIC has a similar system, though it's a square at 45deg, rather than a triangle.

Note that for the June 2020 deliveries Tesla Alexandria didn't have the EV stickers - you had to get them yourself. (I picked mine up the afternoon of delivery as i swapped plates)

Got mine at Bondi Junction ServiceNSW centre - in the storeroom out the back . They reportedly had plenty. No charge.

The stickers were posted to me... first for my LEAF and then a few months later for my Model 3. I received the letter @MickK referred to yesterday.

I’m a bit cheesed that this rule applies to any vehicle with a battery in it, that isn’t just a 12V starter battery. That means the likes of a Prius need to whack on the “EV” sticker. Bah.

Perhaps pure EVs should have a green EV sticker instead of blue to make the distinction.

Last edited:
There's no need for a distinction. The purpose is for Emergency Response personnel to be able to quickly recognise what they are dealing with. The EV sticker just indicates that the vehicle has a large (potentially dangerous) battery. Emergency responders already know how to deal with ICE vehicles, so no additional info is required.

Reactions: moa999
There's no need for a distinction. The purpose is for Emergency Response personnel to be able to quickly recognise what they are dealing with. The EV sticker just indicates that the vehicle has a large (potentially dangerous) battery. Emergency responders already know how to deal with ICE vehicles, so no additional info is required.

Exactly. If anything it makes EVs appear more dangerous and atypical to the general uninformed masses.

Why not have giant combustible warnings all over ICE cars?

The distinction would be purely for self-indulgence/virtue signalling purposes, to show off that this vehicle doesn’t have an ICE.

Unpopular opinion? I think they are ugly and I hate that I have to put an ugly blue sticker on my premium white on black number plates on a white car. As Emergency Response you should already know which cars are all electric (ie. Tesla), it's a big part of the job and I would question if they should be in it if they didn't know this. It's not like the LPG sticker where a tank could be fitted to any old car and you would never know by looking at it.

Unpopular opinion? I think they are ugly and I hate that I have to put an ugly blue sticker on my premium white on black number plates on a white car. As Emergency Response you should already know which cars are all electric (ie. Tesla), it's a big part of the job and I would question if they should be in it if they didn't know this. It's not like the LPG sticker where a tank could be fitted to any old car and you would never know by looking at it.

100% Agreed. Tesla just released their vehicle safety report and their cars cumulatively have a fire once every 70,000,000 miles on average. A regular ICE vehicle is once every 1,000,000. Tesla are almost 70x less like to be on fire than an ICE car yet EVs have the warning label?

It's not about fire risk..
It's the risk that there is a large powerful battery that may be dangerous in the event of an accident.

It's a clear call to first responders that they need to deal with electricity and may need to cut the emergency cutoff loop.
First Responders | Tesla Australia
No different to the explosion risk from an LPG vehicle.

While we may know a Tesla by site, many won't and the default Model 3 in particular has no Tesla wording, just the T badge.
And as for picking the difference between a BMW 330d and 330e - good luck.

Reactions: Hairyman and Anubis
I’m guessing the warning label is for Firefighters and Emergency workers who are only concerned about the presence of a large high voltage battery in the vehicle they are working on. The nuances of BEV versus PHEV versus Hybrid is not something the legislation is concerned about and they’re not going to make an exception for Tesla.
I could imagine in 20 years or so them passing a law to require a warning label for flammable liquid fuelled vehicles, when they become the exception rather than the norm.

Reactions: Vostok
I've spoken today to the ACT RTA, and the situation there is that the labels are also required, and the RTA won't be supplying them - it's up to the owner to source them.

After ringing around various places, the only source I've found is Burson Auto Parts. Hope this helps out any ACT owners out there.

A large number of emergency response personnel are volunteers and responding to vehicle accidents is not necessarily a "big part of the job", It depends on where you are. In my case the emergency responders in our local area are the local RFS, and I guarantee that few of the members would know an EV by sight.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and Hovean