Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW Hunter Valley Charging Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

First post for me here. Very excited I’ll be taking ownership of a CPO Model S 75D over the next few weeks.

I’m hoping I’ll have it in time to drive my wife and I up to the hunter valley in NSW. We’re driving from Sydney and should have plenty of charge there and back, but I wanted to check if anyone had recommendations on chargers in the area that I could use if needed/wanted?

PlugShare shows a few destination chargers but I’m not sure if I’ll need any cables other than what comes with the car?

Anyone able to offer advice?

Thanks,
Shane.

I don't know how far the Heatherbrae supercharger is out of you way, maybe worth a look & get a charge.

This thread maybe worth a look, don't forget to take the UMC for overnight top-up.
Mobile charging for Australia

Thanks mate appreciated. I did look at the supercharger and yes it’d definitely be easier & faster charging - but I have to head north east from the hunter so was looking at the destination chargers in the area.

The Crowne Plaza one seems accessible without being a guest but is a ChargePoint which uses a different cable.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Not sure where to get this cable from - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shane.

The car comes with a (UMC) Univesal Mobile Connector with a single 10Amp plug adapter.
This can be plugged into any standard (GPO) General Power Outlet in Australia and will give you circa 8Kmh charge rate, so you can add about 80Km overnight anywhere someone gives you access to power.
Destination chargers can be found on the Tesla website and or PlugShare and whilst technically capable of up to 22KW (3 Phase 32A) actually depend on what supply is available at the site so will often be a lot less.
I’m not aware that Tesla sell a J1772 to Type 2 adapter unless this has recently changed, however I use one I purchased from Evnomics.
I would recommend this thread to read up on the various charging cables and adapters available for an Australian Tesla. Mobile charging for Australia

I'd recommend Peterson's, but you can do the rounds and have a tasting at anywhere with a charger:)
BTW, I have a 75D and if you charge to 100% at home before you leave you'll have plenty of juice to get there and back.
I use about 30% to get to Hunter Valley from my place in Turramurra.
If you run short, the Heatherbrae supercharger is worth the detour. Just so much faster than a destination charger. 10x faster, so 6min = 1hr.

Perfect. Thanks so much for this first hand experience it’s what I was hoping for.

Thanks,
Shane.

I'd recommend Peterson's, but you can do the rounds and have a tasting at anywhere with a charger:)
BTW, I have a 75D and if you charge to 100% at home before you leave you'll have plenty of juice to get there and back.
I use about 30% to get to Hunter Valley from my place in Turramurra.
If you run short, the Heatherbrae supercharger is worth the detour. Just so much faster than a destination charger. 10x faster, so 6min = 1hr.