Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW Police Targeting Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully expected to see a video where the police officer was tailgaiting the driver for several minutes

I have had occurances (not for a while now) where a police car wil follow me (not tailgate) and lose interest after several minutes. So have wondered if this is because I have a red Tesla, and they were hoping I might try to speed, show off or something.

What I'm sure he didn't want, were the couple of posters who were rude about it. People can be objective without being snarky and rude. Hence why I interjected. We all make mistakes, no one is holier-than-thou.
Maybe he needed a little tough love.
Anyone who thought that video demonstrated unfair policing rather than bad driving is obviously delusory, and sometimes a sharp cathartic shock is needed to help these people.
I’m sure those posters writing harsh comments felt the heavy burden of their responsibility, but sometimes one must put oneself last for the good of one’s fellow man.

Reactions: paulp and Amphead
Maybe he needed a little tough love.
Anyone who thought that video demonstrated unfair policing rather than bad driving is obviously delusory, and sometimes a sharp cathartic shock is needed to help these people.
I’m sure those posters writing harsh comments felt the heavy burden of their responsibility, but sometimes one must put oneself last for the good of one’s fellow man.

Totally agree with this, people get pulled over and fined for these types of driving offenses all the time, its not unusual, happened to me before as well.

Best response is to be polite, respectful and apologetic to the police and often they will let let you off a bit easier. If you argue the point when clearly at fault you are likely to make things worse.

Not sure how you make the leap from "Police followed and fined me" to "Police targeting Tesla's" *shrug*. I havent noticed them targeting me.
It sucks whats happened to you guys, but why oh why would you cut the cop off like that? especially in the middle of a turn. Was she signalling for a while? We would need to see the side camera view to see how long the signal was on for and if the cop intentially sped up to try to cut you off (which is illegal for him!)

I've had good experiences with the police since getting my car.
One time I accelerated off pole position at the lights in an ecstacy of joie de vivre, likely overshooting the speed limit by about 20kph before reason took over. The police car a few vehicles back caught up and pulled me over. Gave me a warning and we shared a smile. It might be my imagination but I thought I caught him running an appreciative eye over the vehicle.

Reactions: paulp
You can actually see the front suspension of the police car compress as they brake to let your wife in... it takes a fair degree of motion to be visible like that on video! So yeah, as others have said, I'm sorry to say, not kosher driving on your wife's part. But two tickets this shouldn't be for sure.

The upside of all that video footage though is you can always educate yourself on what happened. The first step to that is to understand that your perception of a situation is totally one sided (yours), and you have to be open to alternative interpretations. I recently got flicked off by the rider on one of those harbinger-of-death electric bicycles that drive faster than cars in the city and weave in and out of traffic, with no lights (in pre-dawn light), and my gut reaction was to flip back (and I did), but I also hit the dashcam button and analysed the situation later so I could learn a potential lesson (if there was one). And sure enough, I had cut the bicycle off in a rather rude and very dangerous fashion - because I simply did not see him. Had I dragged him under my car, it would 100% have been my fault. So, lesson learnt, pay better attention during those dusk/dark/night hours to bicycles without lights.

Police wise, I haven't felt targeted in my S thus far - except in VIC and then only by speed cameras. :)