Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW Police Targeting Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those slamming the driving skills of the OP's wife, DES says that for every two miles driven, the average driver makes one mistake and every 500 miles one of those mistakes leads to a near-collision. Some being so harsh maybe should scrutinize their own behavior. We all make mistakes... Anyway, I would fight it. Sometimes they load you up so at least one will stick and drop the lessor. You are probably right that they were looking for impairment...good luck!

For those slamming the driving skills of the OP's wife, DES says that for every two miles driven, the average driver makes one mistake

Who’s Des?

In any case I think the feedback is coming from the perspective of whether the tickets are contestable in court.

Honestly, that dashcam footage isn’t helpful if that’s the goal. It clearly shows an infraction right in front of the coppers.

That said, two tickets is a bit over the top, and that might be worth challenging.

Who’s Des?

In any case I think the feedback is coming from the perspective of whether the tickets are contestable in court.

Honestly, that dashcam footage isn’t helpful if that’s the goal. It clearly shows an infraction right in front of the coppers.

That said, two tickets is a bit over the top, and that might be worth challenging.
Drivers Education Segment

Last edited:
The 2 fines are correct - no indicating, then subsequently cutting the cops off
That said, was there no prior sign telling her to get into the right hand left turning lane to turn right immediately after? Or was she simply listening to the voice guidance from maps? The better voice guidance systems will tell you which lane to get into prior to the immediate turn

For those slamming the driving skills of the OP's wife, DES says that for every two miles driven, the average driver makes one mistake and every 500 miles one of those mistakes leads to a near-collision. Some being so harsh maybe should scrutinize their own behavior. We all make mistakes... Anyway, I would fight it. Sometimes they load you up so at least one will stick and drop the lessor. You are probably right that they were looking for impairment...good luck!
So she shouldn’t get a ticket because regular mistakes are normal. I wouldn’t be fronting up to a judge with that as a defence....at least not in Australia

• Funny
Reactions: pts260 and Vostok
So she shouldn’t get a ticket because regular mistakes are normal. I wouldn’t be fronting up to a judge with that as a defence....at least not in Australia
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't make a judgement. She may have deserved a ticket but luckily I don't have to judge... I don't know the laws of the country for one thing... I was only commenting about human frailties and human nature.

Last edited:
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't make a judgement. She may have deserved a ticket but luckily I don't have to judge... I don't know the laws of the country for one thing... I was only commenting about human frailties and human nature.
Hmmm , I think you have made a judgement, but you wont get a ticket this time :) I don't think people are being harsh as they are just responding to the facts of this particular incident (albeit one sided) and are not making sweeping generalizations about human frailty - which adds little to the discussion of this particular incident.

Hmmm , I think you have made a judgement, but you wont get a ticket this time :) I don't think people are being harsh as they are just responding to the facts of this particular incident (albeit one sided) and are not making sweeping generalizations about human frailty - which adds little to the discussion of this particular incident.
I think it makes a lot of difference because some people want to loftily point their finger at others and refuse to temper that with the acknowledgment that they are just as guilty and maybe more. Will they also point out that they indeed deserve many tickets for their mistakes? Generally not, its always someone else who is wrong.

Reactions: M3OZ
I think it makes a lot of difference because some people want to loftily point their finger at others and refuse to temper that with the acknowledgment that they are just as guilty and maybe more. Will they also point out that they indeed deserve many tickets for their mistakes? Generally not, its always someone else who is wrong.

The respondents are directly addressing the OP. They aren't being lofty. Please don't derail the thread.

We plan to challenge the double-dipping in court and we are asking for the support of community to share this story in the hope that I will be picked up by the media.

I'll start off by acknowledging that copping two fines no doubt stings, and does seem (assuming the driver was respectful, courteous and acknowledged their errors) a harsh discretionary choice by the officer.

However, before challenging the double-dipping, note that a careful review of the video will show that there were two distinct offences here, which appears to have been overlooked by the OP.

The first we've all focussed on (Not give way) occurs at 0:12-017s, where the driver, with left signal still engaged (flashing signals are clearly visible at night with the M3 cameras), crosses lanes and merges right. Whether or not a collision was "avoided" is a matter of definition, but it is clear the police officer felt the need to take evasive action (headlights dip as front suspension compresses at 0:16s); immediately prior to this, based on the road markings and fish eye lens of the rear camera, the closest approach was roughly 4m, so the braking action appears well justified at the apparent speeds and with the unexpected lane incursion.

The second (Not give right change of direction signal with lights) actually occurs immediately after, 0:18-0:22s, where the right-hand turn at the subsequent intersection is made without indicating right (like the left hand signal earlier, the flashing right hand signal should be clearly evident in the right hand view, but is not present; the minimal flashing seen is from the police car's own right hand signal).... to appease the "he who is without sin" folk, I'll readily acknowledge that I was guilty of this on occassion in the M3 when making quick opposing turns before getting used to the behaviour of the turning stalk.

In terms of the claim of harrassment, on the evidence (and as evidenced by the general reaction here) I don't believe that will be a fruitful path. I fully expected to see a video where the police officer was tailgaiting the driver for several minutes before an inadvertant slip up (OP, if you have other video which demonstrates them following the driver for some time, by all means please post it). If this point is pushed, I suspect the magistrate will pointedly express incredulity that one can simultaneously be harassed by a police car and yet be so unaware of their presence as to cut them off.

The OP literally asked people to make a judgement.

Reactions: Nuclear Fusion
Let who hath not sinned throw the first stone.
What a load of rubbish!
That would imply that anyone who has done anything wrong can never assess the performance of anyone else.
I think the original quote was trying to stop an execution somewhere in the Middle East, it might be a bit heavy-handed for criticising someone’s driving :)

I’ve had my Tesla since Dec 2019 and I cannot think of any instance where I have been ‘targeted’ by the Police, or even aroused any interest or curiosity from them. Even the head-turning from punters on the street seems to have dropped off. In Dec 2019 - lots of looks and head-turning. Now, not so much.

If I thought I was being tailgated by law enforcement, I would safely and legally pull over to the side of the road and park.

Apropos of nothing, apparently about 80% of drivers rate themselves as having above-average skills 🤔

Reactions: Evoforce
I’ve had my Tesla since Dec 2019 and I cannot think of any instance where I have been ‘targeted’ by the Police, or even aroused any interest or curiosity from them. Even the head-turning from punters on the street seems to have dropped off. In Dec 2019 - lots of looks and head-turning. Now, not so much.

If I thought I was being tailgated by law enforcement, I would safely and legally pull over to the side of the road and park.

Apropos of nothing, apparently about 80% of drivers rate themselves as having above-average skills 🤔
In the very early days when there were only two tesla in Adelaide, I was definately harassed by police but in a positive way. They were just keen to see the car and talk about it. Just normal ‘petrol heads’ like most. I recall once I pulled up in a servo to get an overpriced bottle of water, and an officer approached me and said “sir I think you’re being suspicious being at a servo”.....at which point he laughed and we spent 10 minutes chatting about the car. I almost had him agree to a drag race.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok