Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW Tesla Energy Plan VPP Virtual Power Plant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to Tesla Energy Plan / Virtual Power Plant (South Australia)

but now available in NSW, or at least I just notified I'm now eligible. Came to me via the Tesla app inbox.

Need to run the numbers to see if this makes any sense, wondering if anyone has already done the same.

Links went to
and

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Probably not cheaper for me with my usage pattern on the Powershop EV arrangement for Ausgrid in NSW. Others will have widely different outcomes from their analyses.

One thing that was not clear from a quick look at the T&C was whether you might be ina position of having compulsory charging of your battery from the grid during a the peak period. This does occur with other VPPs although I think the cost effects overall are small.

Also not clear was what the behaviour of the battery would be prior to 2pm when the feed in tariff kicks in. Will it fill to the maximum possible extent from my rooftop solar production, will the battery still charge itself from the grid in cheap times when solar production is predicted to be low?

At the moment if the solar production is predicted to be good my battery will stop charging before it is full- I think to prevent being exposed to long periods of 100% charge. Excess solar goes to the grid and I get some money, but not zero money like this plan. The battery is nevertheless full for the onset of the peak period.

My battery will also charge itself in the middle of the night when my power is very cheap when solar production is predicted to be poor. That power is very cheap indeed.

None of this can be captured by the AER website, which I find to be a frankly risible effort to improve power pricing transparency.

I don’t see the use of writing a spreadsheet if I can’t reliably predict the system algorithm under the new scheme.

It looks like it might be quite attractive if I was buying a new Powerwall 2 with some of the incentives mentioned in the documents and running it for 18 months or so before looking elsewhere.

Reactions: m4rtin
I was hopeful, but the numbers do not seem to stack up for me based on my situation.

I have 7kw of panels but considerable shading. I have a PW2 battery. I have almost no grid export occurring as I consume nearly all solar production.

As a result, the 30c FIT (but only between 2pm-8pm) is irrelevant for me.

That leaves me with their stock rates;
Peak (inc GST)33.00c/kWh (2pm-8pm)
Solar Soak (inc GST)22.00c/kWh (10am-2pm)
Off Peak (inc GST)22.00c/kWh (8pm-10am)
Daily Supply Charge (inc GST)$0.99/day

Which are quite high compared to most other offerings (I'm currently with Reamped Energy). Even with the $220 annual grid credit and $100 welcome credit in the first year, I think I would still come out behind.

The 1% credit card fee is the cherry on top 😞

What does Solar Soak mean?

Instead of a shoulder period, the plan has Solar Soak from 10am -2pm.

Google says Solar Soak means using my own generated solar energy. So I have to pay Tesla to use my own solar power over that period? Is this to discourage too much export at that time?

What does Solar Soak mean?

Instead of a shoulder period, the plan has Solar Soak from 10am -2pm.

Google says Solar Soak means using my own generated solar energy. So I have to pay Tesla to use my own solar power over that period? Is this to discourage too much export at that time?
No, its just another name for a middle-of-the-day off-peak period. Also called "Solar Sponge" sometimes. The name doesn't matter, and you aren't paying to use your own solar.

It's to encourage importing at that time to balance all the exports by others.

Reactions: m3rwd
Now that ReAmped just increased their prices I’ve been shopping around again. I find this VPP deal hard to compare given how different it is. How are people doing the maths here? What are the assumptions?

For me the dealbreaker in considering an energy plan is not having a 100% Green Power option (i.e. every kWh you use is purchased by your retailer from an accredited renewable generator, and is a kWh not purchased from coal- or gas-fired generator).

“Carbon offsetting” or “carbon neutral” are not the same thing.

So this plan falls at the first hurdle for me before any maths is involved.

I hadn’t realised there was no GreenPower option with this plan. Have got confirmation from Energy Locals of that fact. Now trying to find out why.

I assume the calculations would be far more complex to be fair if there is a surcharge for GreenPower but the FI from the Powerwall pays the same for all sources ie you might pay extra for renewable sourced energy and they take it from your Powerwall.

I assume the calculations would be far more complex to be fair if there is a surcharge for GreenPower but the FI from the Powerwall pays the same for all sources ie you might pay extra for renewable sourced energy and they take it from your Powerwall.

I don’t think it’s hard at all. Every 100% Green Power plan I‘ve ever had has been a fixed per kWh surcharge on grid usage. The energy retailer knows exactly how much grid power you have used otherwise they would not be able to bill you! Multiply that by the surcharge and that’s the fee.

What they take from your Powerwall doesn’t affect this. Whether the power they take was originally dirty grid power, green grid power, or rooftop solar is entirely academic. It’s all just electrons.

Plot twist, contradicting the earlier response on Twitter the Energy Locals Support ticket finally got a reply (10 days after opening).

The response states that GreenPower can be added to the VPP plan. See screenshot.
24CC78D3-3B2A-42BA-9CB7-9F49088D8346.jpeg

Reactions: EcoCloudIT and cafz
Plot twist, contradicting the earlier response on Twitter the Energy Locals Support ticket finally got a reply (10 days after opening).

The response states that GreenPower can be added to the VPP plan. See screenshot.

Interesting that they say they are offering Green Power “at cost” when my current supplier charges me 2.8c/kWh, 1.1c less than this, for 100%.

Is my current retailer taking a hit and absorbing the cost difference? I really doubt that!

But good to see they have GreenPower as an option.