TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

NTB can't jack a Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TravisT, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TravisT

TravisT Member

Got a slow leak in the left rear tire of wife's P85+. Took the car to NTB and they said two hour wait. Came back two hours later, gave them the keys and asked if they know how to drive and work on a Tesla. Supervisor said one of his guys does. I wasn't so confident. 20 minutes later he came back and said they don't have the ability to jack a Tesla. WTF?

Guess I'll call the service center tomorrow morning. They have my P85D for body repair and didn't give me a loaner. The tire would be a non issue if both Tesla's weren't down.

I normally go to Discount Tire for tire issues, but they were closed today. The guys at NTB always act like dicks.

Do tire shops have the ability to jack a Tesla? I told the dick at NTB that the manual tells how to jack the car. Am I wrong?

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It's not much different than a BMW. There are four jacking pads, you just need to be sure that you don't overhang the pads.

• Like x 2
  3. BrettS

BrettS Member

Seems like instead of calling the guy a dick that you should be glad that they were honest with you and didn’t try to work on the car and damage it when they were unsure about what to do.

You even said at the beginning of your post that you didn’t think they would know how to work on your car, so I’m not sure why you’re so surprised when they came back and told you that they weren’t able to do so.

• Helpful x 1
  4. TravisT

TravisT Member

Thanks for your input. Do you have anything helpful to say or just want to criticize? Trust me...they have always been dicks when I go there. Not like Discount where they have positive attitudes and greet customers with a smile. NTB has always acted like I'm inconveniencing them by walking in the door.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

I have a long list of places that can't lift my Model S. The car is just low and wide, it has nothing to do with the lifting points AFAIK.

• Like x 1
  6. TravisT

TravisT Member

Do you have a list of places that can lift a Model S? Or should I just take it to the service center?

7. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The local NTB has replaced the tires on our S P85.

The console's instruction manual provides an explanation of how the car is to be lifted.

But you should let them do it only after you've verified they understand those instructions.

Though if you have a Tesla extended warranty - Tesla may be able to provide a replacement tire with their mobile service.

8. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I had the local Firestone install the current set of tires I have. They were happy for me to show them exactly how to properly jack the car without damaging anything.

9. Pbaker

Pbaker Member

Tesla Tires.JPG Just got tires replaced at America's Tire (Discount Tire) about a month ago, watched closely but it seemed like they knew what they were doing. 4 jacks, carefully placed at each jack point. Just lifted high enough for some off roading!!

10. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

Can't see why a Tesla would be any different than any other luxury sedan, only thing to remember with any vehicle with air-suspension is to lock the suspension, otherwise it will try and adjust when lifting.

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Discount Tire publishes instructions for their employees on how to do it. I took mine there and they even had to ask me why they couldn’t find my jack mode option. (I don’t have air suspension, so no jack mode).

• Like x 1
  12. TravisT

TravisT Member

Good to know for the future. I really prefer to go to Discount Tire, but they are closed on Sunday. After calling the SC this morning, I told the wife to just take it there today and they would have it fixed within 30 minutes or give her a loaner. It's only 15 minutes away and I feel much better having the Tesla pros handle the car. Well worth the extra cost for repair IMO.

13. Russell

Russell Member

America's Tire near me didn't lift my car correctly.
    They used the Quick Jack type lift on my battery without using blocks on the lift pads.

Attached Files:

14. Tam

Tam Active Member

What happened to that car in the picture?

The battery pack protrudes downward and lower than lift points. That Quick Jack lets the battery sits on it first then the weight of the entire car crushes the battery pack upward until the lifts points are reached!

15. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Discount Tire can. You need to put it in Jack mode if you have upgraded suspension.
    They even swapped my rims for me for 0 charge. Great company.

• Like x 1
  16. TravisT

TravisT Member

Wife took the car into the SC today and they found a nail on the inner sidewall that I couldn't see. Obviously not repairable, but they replaced the tire with free labor and 30% off the price of the tire since they were only 2 months old. Had her out the door in no time. Love the customer service!!!

17. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Mostly service centre, or one other independent tire shop in my neighbourhood. I'm in Toronto so probably no help to you. I discovered it through word of mouth and trial and error.

• Like x 1
  18. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Any tire shop should be able to do it. I did it myself and it was easy to spot the jacking points. Not rocket science.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Russell

Russell Member

I'm driving it everyday!

True the battery pack rails are lower than the lift points, but I don't think the battery pack has been "crushed". It's stronger than that.
    The only way to know for sure is to measure the distance between lowest point of the battery pack to the lift points.

If anybody wants to do that and share their numbers that would be great.

• Informative x 1
  20. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Costco is open 7 days a week- and they have done my Model S- had to teach them where to find the torque specs the first time, but that was a couple of years ago- So now they know. Otherwise, Monday - Saturday Discount Tire should be able to jack it correctly. I've been there too and they had no problem, used the right jack points with out issue and didn't use the quick jack, just a regular floor jack

• Helpful x 1