Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NTHSA Investigating Tesla over growing Phantom Braking complaints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
You know, the phantom braking that several here said is fake news/doesnt happen? Yeah, that phantom braking.

Apparently because its gotten worse, not better, with the machine learning/AI/DOJO "will get better over time with each release as the system trains from learning"

You know, strawman.
"its not actually braking! No pads are touching rotors!"
"the braking did no generate 2.3g's of force, so I dont consider that hard braking"
"there was no evidence of a phantom in the car, so not Tesla's fault"
"The shadow on the road was in the shape of a human being lying down, so braking was the right thing for it to do!"

The fanboys on here come up with ANY excuse for Elon.

🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife now begs (well, asks) me to turn AP on all the time! This says a lot about the current level of AP.

Why are there so many reported issues?
That's how statistics work.

1 million covid-19 deaths sound a lot but divided by the population of 329.5 million, it's only 0.3%. Not even 1%.

Same with Tesla: 738 sounds like a lot but it's statistically insignificant among other millions in the fleet.

Someone has to decide whether a statistically insignificant number deserves a fix (whether in pandemic or Tesla).

Reactions: xalthe
That's how statistics work.

1 million covid-19 deaths sound a lot but divided by the population of 329.5 million, it's only 0.3%. Not even 1%.

Same with Tesla: 738 sounds like a lot but it's statistically insignificant among other millions in the fleet.

Someone has to decide whether a statistically insignificant number deserves a fix (whether in pandemic or Tesla).
To be fair, if there are 738 people who actually go to the trouble of filing a complaint, then there is some multiple (probably a high multiple) of people who have been dissatisfied with PB but did not file a complaint either because they did not know that they could file one, didn't know how to file one, didn't expect that filing one would have any effect, too lazy to bother, etc.

Also to be fair, I suspect that many, if not most, of these complaints are from much older software than today and may predate the PB fixes that have been made in the last few months. More than likely, Tesla's response will be along those lines that the complaints have been overcome by events.

In my case, my car initially was plagued by PB when I got the car last Sept. But, PB has become virtually non-existent in the last few months. Had I made a complaint last Sept. (I did not) I would consider my issue resolved today.

I haven't had PB on highways in months. None. Zero. Not even on high speed two lane undivided highways.
I just had a jolting PB yesterday a few blocks from our home on our community’s main loop drive that we take several times every day. It has never happened there before and this time occurred on the brand new FSD Beta 10.12.2.

Both of our cars have the Beta and I do think I have far fewer PB’s than a few months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
The phantom breaking issue has improved considerably for me over the past couple of months. 10.12.2 in particular has pretty much eliminated the problem. When phantom breaking does happen it's very minor and usually attributed to FSD over reacting to a car coming the opposite way.

My biggest issue is hard braking on toll lanes where there are overhead blue lights for the toll cameras. The car thinks it's a traffic light and suddenly hits the brakes. Happens about 1 of out 5 times. Reported a number of bug reports already. Hopefully it gets fixed.

I also still get the slow downs (not hard braking) at some overpasses. There are some overpasses where it happens so often that I automatically get ready to press on the pedal.

My biggest issue is hard braking on toll lanes where there are overhead blue lights for the toll cameras. The car thinks it's a traffic light and suddenly hits the brakes. Happens about 1 of out 5 times. Reported a number of bug reports already. Hopefully it gets fixed.

I also still get the slow downs (not hard braking) at some overpasses. There are some overpasses where it happens so often that I automatically get ready to press on the pedal.
All of that is called (Wait for it):

Phantom braking

I've had two PB incidences in the past few weeks, one in our Model S (10-months old) and one in our Model 3 (2-weeks old) and the one in the S almost caused an accident. It braked so hard that even though my foot was near the accelerator, by the time I could get it pushed to the floor we had slowed from 80 to about 45-50 in what seemed like a second. It slammed on the brakes! The speed limit was 75 and cars were coming up on me quick and if I hadn't gotten the car back up to speed when I did the guy behind me would've been into my bumper. Then, just yesterday, our new Model 3 braked hard on Hwy 175 going into Dallas with no cars around, no traffic at all, no lights, no caution signs, no cones, nothing! It just randomly braked from 70 down to about 50, and was continuing to slow down, until I took over the accelerator.