Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NTSB Wants Information on Tesla Autopilot Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model S using Autopilot crashed into a firetruck near Los Angels on Monday prompting inquiry from the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board, according to a report from Bloomberg.

The Tesla driver was reportedly traveling at 65 mph when he rear-ended the truck. There were no injuries in the crash.

The Bloomberg report says the NTSB has not decided if it will launch a formal investigation. The agency is currently “gathering information.”

The Culver City Fire Department shared a photo of the accident.

The NTSB announced earlier this year findings of an investigation into the first known fatal crash involving a car using an automated driver assistance system. The agency said that “operational limitations” of Tesla’s Autopilot system played a ‘major role’ in the 2016 crash that killed one person. The driver’s 2015 Tesla Model S collided with a semi-truck while the car’s Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer lane-keeping assistance features were being used.

Tesla’s repeated line on accidents is that “Autopilot is intended for use only with a fully attentive driver.”

And, the NTSB noted in multiple reports that the driver kept his hands off the wheel for extended periods of time despite repeated automated warnings not to do so. Further, NTSB said the drivers hands were on the wheel for just 25 seconds during a 37-minute period that Autopilot was engaged. Still, the agency said Tesla’s system needs more safeguards – better systems to alert drivers and detect surrounding traffic.

Monday’s collision reportedly occurred while the firetruck was parked in an emergency lane at the side of the highway attending to another accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
based on the picture, it appears clear that the firetruck was not parked in the emergency lane as per the end of the article; rather, the truck's rear end appears to be overhanging into the fast lane. (Not saying that autopilot should not have stopped, but its not like the S swerved completely into the emergency lane to hit the truck.)

So did the tesla change itself into the emergency lane all by itself?

The fire truck was parked across 2 lanes (emergency and carpool). Tesla was in the carpool lane. Here is a better picture from above:

tesla_crush.jpg

I can actually see how this could happen. Tesla in carpool lane right behind another car at 65mph. The car in front saw the fire truck and pull out last second and now Tesla autopilot could see it but braking late. I don't think that damage is done with 65mph hit.. autopilot probably brake to about 35.

Although it is also possible that there was no car in front and driver wasn't looking at the road. He should have seen it half a mile away and take action. I don't know if autopilot, or in this case TACC could stop the car fast enough at 65 when it detected a wall directly in front.

This is a very weird accident. Usually an emergency vehicle on the freeway in L.A. slows traffic to a crawl. It just seems odd that a car in the carpool lane could be traveling at 65mph in this situation. Also, is that really a Model S? The wheels look right but the side windowsdo not seem to have the same profile as a Model S, especially at the back. Maybe the owner blacked out the chrome trim including the door handles? But it still doesn't look quite right.

Reactions: Pdub2015
This is a very weird accident. Usually an emergency vehicle on the freeway in L.A. slows traffic to a crawl. It just seems odd that a car in the carpool lane could be traveling at 65mph in this situation. Also, is that really a Model S? The wheels look right but the side windowsdo not seem to have the same profile as a Model S, especially at the back. Maybe the owner blacked out the chrome trim including the door handles? But it still doesn't look quite right.

If you click on the link there are close ups it is a Model S just blacked out chrome.

I agree with others it doesn't look like 65 MPH damage.

That was my thought -- the mainline speed is about 2mph at 8:30am on the 405 thru Culver City, on the best day. How did the driver not notice the fire truck blocking the carpool lane? He must have fallen asleep before impact.

Just blame mobile Eye tech and praise Tesla vision.

Joking aside, I've found that Tesla Vision really does recognize cars from far more angles when stationary. Heck, when I pull into my parking structure, it can see through the fence and depict parked cars inside the garage diagonal from me. AP1 would never acknowledge a stationary car unless it was fairly head-on and close range.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I have driven thousands of miles on autopilot and never ever came close to doing anything like this. Of course I actually follow the instructions given by my car and if I do need to look away or take my hands off the wheel I'll look down the road first to make sure there aren't any obstacles coming up. What I don't get is that the collision avoidance alarm in my car is very loud and definitely gets my attention. Mine always seems to go off when the car in front of me pulls into a turning lane and slows down. I do not see why this cars collision avoidance would not have alerted the driver with enough time to avoid this kind of accident unless he had it turned off or set to 'late'.

Reactions: gavine and Not1Drop
I have driven thousands of miles on autopilot and never ever came close to doing anything like this. Of course I actually follow the instructions given by my car and if I do need to look away or take my hands off the wheel I'll look down the road first to make sure there aren't any obstacles coming up. What I don't get is that the collision avoidance alarm in my car is very loud and definitely gets my attention. Mine always seems to go off when the car in front of me pulls into a turning lane and slows down. I do not see why this cars collision avoidance would not have alerted the driver with enough time to avoid this kind of accident unless he had it turned off or set to 'late'.

Have you approached a stopped diagonal truck before? This is not a typical car and the vision system can be very delayed in picking it up. This isn't an encounter that you'd come across very often. This video is a good example of a similar situation:
Tesla Model S driver crashes into a van while on Autopilot [Video]

Painted truck, completely stopped. System recognized it extremely late, gave a nearly useless sub 1 second collision alarm when the ultrasonics detected the car. Way too late to avoid.

Have you approached a stopped diagonal truck before? This is not a typical car and the vision system can be very delayed in picking it up. This isn't an encounter that you'd come across very often. This video is a good example of a similar situation:
Tesla Model S driver crashes into a van while on Autopilot [Video]

Painted truck, completely stopped. System recognized it extremely late, gave a nearly useless sub 1 second collision alarm when the ultrasonics detected the car. Way too late to avoid.

Good find that is very interesting and does appear to be similar to the firetruck crash. Seems like a flaw in the system (and in driver attention).