Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

What odds are you taking that this will yield an operating plant? ;)

I heard about this deal a couple years ago and looked into 'Nuclear Development LLC' they were actually a real estate company that decided to buy (basically steal) Bellefonte for $111M... lol

SNC-Lavalin seems more legit... we'll see what happens... this might just be a ploy to satisfy terms of the agreement;

'As part of the deal, TVA requires Nuclear Development LLC to make a minimum of $25 million in investments in the property over the next five years, including economic development activities in Jackson County'

What odds are you taking that this will yield an operating plant? ;)

I heard about this deal a couple years ago and looked into 'Nuclear Development LLC' they were actually a real estate company that decided to buy (basically steal) Bellefonte for $111M... lol

SNC-Lavalin seems more legit... we'll see what happens... this might just be a ploy to satisfy terms of the agreement;

'As part of the deal, TVA requires Nuclear Development LLC to make a minimum of $25 million in investments in the property over the next five years, including economic development activities in Jackson County'
They could put in an amusement park.

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver
They could put in an amusement park.

In all seriousness I hope they do finish the plant... then they can finish the 4 unit plant in Hartsville,TN

tumblr_oshxck1gcr1wsa3e3o1_1280.jpg

Then when that's done they can finish the 2 units in Satsop...

Satsop-aerial-3.jpg

And then they can finish Columbia units 1 & 4...

500px-WNP-1_-4.jpg

And the two units at Marble hill... $2.5B spent... 0kWh generated...

1920px-MHinspring2007.JPG

3 Units at the Cherokee Nuclear power plant. $6B spent... at least James Cameron got some use out of it for 'The Abyss'; Proof that SC is literally insane since they made the same mistake ~30 years later and now there's spending $20M/yr to preserve their shame...

440px-CRW_6621.jpg

.... Yellow Creek near luka, MS. Wow... this cost $4B?... 4 units...

1920px-YellowCreek.jpg

There's..... there's an absurd number of partially finished nuclear plants littering the country....

I mean... if you turned every abandoned nuclear plant into an amusement park it would outnumber SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Disney AND 6 flags.... We could call it 'Our country is unable to learn from our mistakes.... world'.... :(

Last edited:
In all seriousness I hope they do finish the plant... then they can finish the 4 unit plant in Hartsville,TN

tumblr_oshxck1gcr1wsa3e3o1_1280.jpg

Then when that's done they can finish the 2 units in Satsop...

Satsop-aerial-3.jpg

And then they can finish Columbia units 1 & 4...

500px-WNP-1_-4.jpg

And the two units at Marble hill... $2.5B spent... 0kWh generated...

1920px-MHinspring2007.JPG

3 Units at the Cherokee Nuclear power plant. $6B spent... at least James Cameron got some use out of it for 'The Abyss'; Proof that SC is literally insane since they made the same mistake ~30 years later and now there's spending $20M/yr to preserve their shame...

440px-CRW_6621.jpg

.... Yellow Creek near luka, MS. Wow... this cost $4B?... 4 units...

1920px-YellowCreek.jpg

There's..... there's an absurd number of partially finished nuclear plants littering the country....

I mean... if you turned every abandoned nuclear plant into an amusement park it would outnumber SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Disney AND 6 flags.... We could call it 'Our country is unable to learn from our mistakes.... world'.... :(
Amazing. I didn't realize there were that many. Imagine what we would have if that money had been spent on renewables.

Link please !

Here's a pretty comprehensive SciAm article from a couple years ago:

Israel Proves the Desalination Era Is Here

They quote the newest plant then as delivering a thousand liters of purified water from seawater for $0.58. I'm not sure how much things have improved since.

I've also read that desalination plants on the Israeli model are being built in L.A. now?

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Don't forget that PG&E with the most expensive electricity in the country, now gets to pass on to ratepayers the decommissioning of Diablo Canyon Nuclear power plant.

What a crock..... We were told that allowing the power plant to be in our back yard would give us "Cheap affordable power for decades" Well we had the most expensive power for decades, and now we get to pay again to get rid of this power plant.

They quote the newest plant then as delivering a thousand liters of purified water from seawater for $0.58. I'm not sure how much things have improved since.

I've also read that desalination plants on the Israeli model are being built in L.A. now?
I believe there is one up and running in Carlsbad.

That's a great story. I had no idea desal had progressed so far. Add a solar farm to power all the pumps and the future looks bright.

The usage part of my last water bill was $20.18 for 4 CCF which is about $1.78 per thousand liters. So, $0.58/kl at the plant is pretty damn good. I also pay $46/month just to have service for a 1" meter.

Heck, I would be happy if someone could cost effectively produce fresh water from sea water. That would actually solve a significant world problem.
There is. It's called rain, it's free, and it works very well as long as humans don't: 1) fill it with crap or other hazardous chemicals, 2) only use/reuse the minimum required for drinking, 3) overpopulate the area.;)

That's a great story. I had no idea desal had progressed so far. Add a solar farm to power all the pumps and the future looks bright.

The usage part of my last water bill was $20.18 for 4 CCF which is about $1.78 per thousand liters. So, $0.58/kl at the plant is pretty damn good. I also pay $46/month just to have service for a 1" meter.

I realize we're kinda on a tangent here, but if you're looking for solar electricity anyway, some kinds inherently generate fresh water as a byproduct...

No Cookies | The Weekly Times