Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Blue on 'Blue'... or whatever color a utility would be... utility vs utility.

Utility leads revolt against nuclear Plant Vogtle

JEA has even started a marketing campaign;

Ads going up around Atlanta...

no%20plant%20vogtle_1537398541672.jpg_56182879_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Reactions: mspohr
Sadly, atomic reactors have always been primarily for the Military Industrial Congressional Complex. Atomic weapons are "hidden" from the "Dept. of Defense" budget and is under the control of "Dept. of Energy" - Atomic Bombs & Atomic Reactors both. Of course these bureaucratic constructs are the best at "stealing public funds" for vast sums of money - and all secret for national security so the public has no idea of how much is wasted. Now throw in the "clean up" and the sums are truly beyond imagination. Hanford, Wa alone is now up to (original estimate $10 billion) $165 billion clean up budget and a job originally scheduled for 1988 end date has been pushed to 2065.

Storage and clean up - no problem - just costs money - actual result? who knows.
US clean up of Nukes? could it be less than $1 trillion dollars? Hanford (Oak Ridge probably just as big?) and about 125 reactors.
IF all those costs were added to utility bills ... the big lie of cheap electricity. Oh, well.

PS - want to know how "lucky" we have been? Want a reason to hope god is looking after human activities and he won't allow us to destroy the world? [free will? maybe not such a good idea?] anyway a fine book - probably at your local Library too. The stories are amazing.
ATOMIC ACCIDENTS by James Mahaffey | Kirkus Reviews

Sadly, atomic reactors have always been primarily for the Military Industrial Congressional Complex. Atomic weapons are "hidden" from the "Dept. of Defense" budget and is under the control of "Dept. of Energy" - Atomic Bombs & Atomic Reactors both. Of course these bureaucratic constructs are the best at "stealing public funds" for vast sums of money - and all secret for national security so the public has no idea of how much is wasted. Now throw in the "clean up" and the sums are truly beyond imagination. Hanford, Wa alone is now up to (original estimate $10 billion) $165 billion clean up budget and a job originally scheduled for 1988 end date has been pushed to 2065.

Storage and clean up - no problem - just costs money - actual result? who knows.
US clean up of Nukes? could it be less than $1 trillion dollars? Hanford (Oak Ridge probably just as big?) and about 125 reactors.
IF all those costs were added to utility bills ... the big lie of cheap electricity. Oh, well.

PS - want to know how "lucky" we have been? Want a reason to hope god is looking after human activities and he won't allow us to destroy the world? [free will? maybe not such a good idea?] anyway a fine book - probably at your local Library too. The stories are amazing.
ATOMIC ACCIDENTS by James Mahaffey | Kirkus Reviews
Our neighbors daughter works at Hanford. They have these water bottles.
1537562177121-435806572.jpg

The boondoggle continues :(

Sorry Ratepayers... I'd tell you that at least your financial sacrifice as 'early adopters' will help make the next project cheaper... but I think we all know that's very unlikely to be true. And the more likely outcome is a cancelled plant a year from now after even more $$$$ is wasted....

I think Oglethorpe Power also needs to vote, and haven't done that yet.

RT

The boondoggle continues :(

Sorry Ratepayers... I'd tell you that at least your financial sacrifice as 'early adopters' will help make the next project cheaper... but I think we all know that's very unlikely to be true. And the more likely outcome is a cancelled plant a year from now after even more $$$$ is wasted....
With all those cost overruns, which construction company(s) are making all that extra money ?

Must be a cost plus job. No contractor ever wants that gravy train to end.
Of course one must rule out any conflict of interest.

Those company names should also be in the public eye.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
And now Oglethorpe is on board:

Oglethorpe, MEAG vote to move forward with Vogtle nuclear project

So construction will continue. Someone should start a poll to guess when the next $1,000,000,000 overrun will be made public. It looks to me like they are doing nothing more than kicking the can down the road. When the real train wreck finally happens, it will be an even bigger mess than if they just pulled the plug now.

RT

A nuclear startup will fold after failing to deliver reactors that run on spent fuel

Another new better cheaper nuclear design turns out to be not so much.

Oh no.... they were working on LFTR. What happened... all the facebook and thread posts said that was absolutely, definitely, without a shred of doubt a sure thing.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 8.27.15 AM.png

This is my shocked face;

Someone needs to commission a study and find out what it is with nuclear power, fusion, solar roads and hydrogen that makes some people so enthusiastic about unproven or in the case of nuclear proven to be a HUUGE waste of $$$ over and over and over and over and over and over again. Wind, Solar and Storage work. They're not perfect but they work.

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux and mspohr
Oh no.... they were working on LFTR. What happened... all the facebook and thread posts said that was absolutely, definitely, without a shred of doubt a sure thing.

View attachment 338016

This is my shocked face;

Someone needs to commission a study and find out what it is with nuclear power, fusion, solar roads and hydrogen that makes some people so enthusiastic about unproven or in the case of nuclear proven to be a HUUGE waste of $$$ over and over and over and over and over and over again. Wind, Solar and Storage work. They're not perfect but they work.
It's boring to build something that just works. More speculative profit in risking other people's money. Heads I win, tails you lose.

It's boring to build something that just works. More speculative profit in risking other people's money. Heads I win, tails you lose.

That explains the companies... but not the rabid fan base. They have my level of enthusiasm for Space X and Tesla... without any economically viable rockets or cars... They're like people that think Fisker is better than Tesla... is it a hipster thing?

That explains the companies... but not the rabid fan base. They have my level of enthusiasm for Space X and Tesla... without any economically viable rockets or cars... They're like people that think Fisker is better than Tesla... is it a hipster thing?
Probably rooted in climate change denial. Need to come up with something polluting to stop the spread of renewables. Also, the allure of the ellusive magic bullet to solve everything. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Hope.

Tesla has a long trail of failures, misses and delays and still there are plenty of fanbois and ueberbulls. So not surprising to have HFCV and nuclear fanbois.

HFCV and nuclear power have those fanbois because they promise a solution that fixes the problems of carefree living.

BEVs and variable renewables are both doubted primarily because of the prospect of occasional inconvenience.

Reactions: RubberToe
Tesla has a long trail of failures, misses and delays and still there are plenty of fanbois and ueberbulls. So not surprising to have HFCV and nuclear fanbois.

That comparison would be accurate... if I was still waiting for my 2012 Model S.... and it was 2030... and it was now going to cost $250k.