Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear powered nano-diamond battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cute idea, but physics says it’s not nearly as powerful as they claim. C14 decays pretty slowly (5700+ year half-life) so even if they captured 100% of the energy, it would take 2365 pounds of C14 to generate 1 kW of power. Even the most conservative driver needs substantially more.

it could work for tiny power draws, like a watch battery. But, by the time you get up to cell phone battery demands, it’ll take a pound of C14. Account for less than 100% efficiency and the other battery materials (anode, wiring, packaging) and I’d be amazed if the phone comes out under 20 pounds.

Reactions: nwdiver
Cute idea, but physics says it’s not nearly as powerful as they claim. C14 decays pretty slowly (5700+ year half-life) so even if they captured 100% of the energy, it would take 2365 pounds of C14 to generate 1 kW of power. Even the most conservative driver needs substantially more.

it could work for tiny power draws, like a watch battery. But, by the time you get up to cell phone battery demands, it’ll take a pound of C14. Account for less than 100% efficiency and the other battery materials (anode, wiring, packaging) and I’d be amazed if the phone comes out under 20 pounds.

The 'Skeptics Guide to the Universe' talked about it this week.

I was a little amused. They were fawning over the potential of 7 tons of C14 roughly the size of a refrigerator in their basement powering their house. All I was thinking was that you can basically do that now for ~1% the cost with a roof full of solar and 3-4 power walls.... I really don't understand why some people are so infatuated with all things nuclear. Maybe Tesla needs to have a special line of power walls with a Radium back-lit display. They can call them nuclear power walls;

• Funny
Reactions: miimura