TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

number change

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Rawad H., Sep 8, 2014.

1. Rawad H.

Rawad H. Member

so on my order tracker screen under Model S it used to say RN XXXXX now it is 17 letters/digits ending with 5 digits is that the vin number? and does that mean im that much closer to getting the car? sorry im going crazy its been a month since i ordered and no change until this.

2. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Yup the VIN starts with 5YJ and is 17 digits.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

No need to apologize, you're well within normal bounds of behavior. For this forum. :)

4. Rawad H.

Rawad H. Member

Sweet thanks is that an indication of the car being in the next step?

5. LonghornDub

LonghornDub Member

Yep, that's your VIN number, and when you see people around here post their VIN, it will be just the last five digits (which is the only part of the VIN that's unique to your specific car).

Now that you have the VIN number, you can set up financing and insurance (although you still have some time to do those things).

6. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

I was going to ask the exact same question!
    Just saw that change this morning too.
    Only goes to prove once again, that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

7. seanahan

seanahan Member

You are not "much" closer, it's just a linear step forwards. Many people have their VINs for quite a while before delivery. Don't worry, it's coming soon, and it's a necessary step, but there's no big significance to it.

8. Thud

Thud Member

Yes and no. Yes that's the VIN as others have said.

I also have a VIN and then my delivery was pushed back at least another month. So I have a VIN but I'm still 3 months away from delivery.

9. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

The website configurator seems to have just updated from 'November' delvery, to 'late December' for 60, and 'December' for 85/P85. Still, not sure how Thud could be stuck on December, though.

Anyone with an inventory story they want to share? With production back, that pipe might slowly open again. Last I heard from a rep was nothing on the east coast, a/o about 2wks ago?