Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of Clips for Front Door Panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I think that my panel clips need to be replaced. Anyone know how many there are on each side of the front doors? I'm just going to order new clips myself and do it as process looks easy with proper tools. I'd rather order parts before pulling the door off. Thanks!

Why do you "think" a clip needs to be replaced? Wouldn't it be obvious (snapped)?
Or are you getting a rattle or flimsily attached panel in a spot... and you suspect clips are bad?

For what it's worth, I find the clips on Tesla doors robust. I yanked rear panel off the other day (starting by pulling from the bottom edge) and all clips stayed intact and reusable. You need a plastic spudger of sorts to get behind the tightly fitted panel and car metal... to pry it away enough to get fingers behind the panel in order to pull.

DO be careful to get all the screws out of the panel first from their hidden spots, so you are not pulling against those and tear the panel apart. Rear door has 1 screw under the rubber liner in the bottom of the cubbie/handle/pull, and 2 more screws behind the plastic cover behind the opening lever. Don't know about the front, but is probably similar. Google door panel removal Tesla and watch a youtube.

One thing I double checked before pulling is whether the door panels are hung from window ledge, or not. Tesla door panels are not hung, to get them off you just pull them straight away from the door on all sides including the top. The top edge of clips are different than all the way around the other edges. The top clips are metal.

Hi Scott,
My drivers door is rattling a bit when I go over bumps and when I press on it firmly, there appears to be some give (it's not tightly fit). I've driven some brand new cars and the panels feel like they are fixed tighter. After watching some videos of other owners taking off the panel, my doesn't seem to be as tight and it's pretty easy to unsnap with the tools vs really having to pry off the clips. I recently had the SC insulate the panel for air leaking through the top of the panel when the windows were down and know that the panel has been off a couple of times before. Other owners have recommended getting the clips replaced after the panel has been removed a few times. I also think that the armrest is a bit loose which is attached to the panel via a few screws from the inside. Do you know how many clips there are? Thanks!