TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Number of seats in Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Soolim, Aug 16, 2015.

?

How many seats do you need for Model X

Poll closed Aug 23, 2015.
  1. I need 5 seater, 7 seater can be an option/upgrade

40.2%
  2. I need 7 seater, 5 seater is not acceptable

39.2%
  3. I need 5 seater, don't care for 7 seater.

20.6%
  1. Soolim

Soolim Member

#1 Soolim, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    What is your preference? Please respond by voting.
    Care to explain your preference?

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

I don't want 7 seater, I need more room for my planes!

3. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

Third row is optional. It was stated in a Tesla email to reservation holders in mid June.

4. Soolim

Soolim Member

Thanks for your info. EM stated that Tesla has some problem with the "scupture" second row seat, so I was wondering how many potential buyers definitely needs 7 seater.

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think he said it was more difficult than expected - I don't believe he said they are currently having any problems. (Or perhaps you didn't mean to imply current tense.)

6. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

Five seater please with fold downs for two more. The original thought of lay flat seats up to the front is exactly what we want. Plenty of room for the dogs with 5 seats available. Plenty of room for stuff when you need to put those big items in there too.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Who cares about the seats, how many cupholders will there be?

8. Soolim

Soolim Member

Nigel, for you there will be the same number of cup holders as the number of seats.:smile:

9. sigurdi

sigurdi Member

Need all rows, and guess that it will not be possible to order only 1. and 3. row.
    Everybody get the art seats (2.row)

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

June 2015? I'm a reservation holder and haven't received any emails. [emoji20]

11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

If we didn't need 7 (proper) seats I'd have bought a 85D months ago, or a 90D today.

12. lucy

lucy bluehair

I only need 1 seat! I'd buy a Nissan eVan if I could and the range were better.
    although definately not as cool...

13. BerTX

BerTX Member

I only need seating for 2. I'll have seating for 5, which is fine. If the 3rd row seat is forced on me (i.e. not optional), I'll figure out how to remove it.

One thing I am concerned about with the "work of art" 2nd row seats is that they may not fold flat to make the cargo area into one flat surface. If that's the case, I'll take them out and have a "work of art" in my garage.

14. timf

timf Member

It was June 2014. There haven't been any emails to reservation holders since November 2014.

15. pvogel

pvogel Member

Dear Model X reservation holders,

Falcon wing doors, all-wheel drive, and the most stylish way to combine an SUV’s utility with a sports car’s performance. Model X will be a production car that exceeds the promises made when we first showed the concept.
    In the fall, we’ll start building Model X prototypes on a newly expanded and integrated production line at our factory in Fremont, CA. The first Model X cars for you, our reservation holders, will be produced starting in early 2015.

We’re pleased to confirm that the falcon wing doors will be a defining feature of this exceptional car. Not only do these doors look amazing, but they also make getting in and out of the Model X so much easier than would a conventional front-hinged door. You can even do it standing up.

We’ll also deliver a level of functionality and practicality that will exceed what you saw on the concept vehicle. We can confirm that all-wheel drive will come standard for Model X, and you’ll have the option to add a third row of seats to carry more passengers. You’ll also be able to fold down the second and third rows to create a flat platform for storage. When it comes to charging and long distance drives, Model X will be able to take full advantage of our rapidly growing Supercharger network.

These features combine to offer power, speed, and space – all packaged in an all-electric vehicle that looks and drives like it comes from the future.

We’ll have more to say about Model X in the coming months, so stay tuned for updates. Thank you for your confidence in Tesla.

16. sigurdi

sigurdi Member

I love the last part: "We'll have more to say about Model X in the coming months"
    Almost a year and can't say Tesla have told me more about X. ;-)
    Offisially information from Tesla is just about the same as when I put in my first reservation.

17. Soolim

Soolim Member

pvogel, Thanks for posting the letter, I hope you don't mind me highlighting to focus on the option and the feature. Some late reservation holders may not have that letter from Tesla, and prospective buyer is better informed with this letter you posted.

Fold down second and third rows certainly qualifies MX for the U in CUV or SUV.

18. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

What does everybody think the extra cost will be for the 3rd row seats/option?

Originally I was thinking I would not get the 3rd row...but if the cost wasn't too much more, AND they fold flat, I might go for them.

19. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Have three kids in car seats, need three rows.

20. Soolim

Soolim Member

Tesla letter of June 2014 to reservation holder indicated that 3rd row seat is optional. It also indicated that the 2nd and 3rd row seat will fold for flat storage.
    Your question on cost might lead to another poll or guessing game while waiting for the MX Design Studio. Draft poll looks like below:
    Would you buy the optional 3rd row seat if it cost:
    1. Yes if less than $3000.00
    2. Yes if less than $5000.00
    3. Yes if less than $7000.00
    4. Not buy at any additional cost.