Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of seats in Model X

How many seats do you need for Model X

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla letter of June 2014 to reservation holder indicated that 3rd row seat is optional. It also indicated that the 2nd and 3rd row seat will fold for flat storage.
Your question on cost might lead to another poll or guessing game while waiting for the MX Design Studio. Draft poll looks like below:
Would you buy the optional 3rd row seat if it cost:
1. Yes if less than $3000.00
2. Yes if less than $5000.00
3. Yes if less than $7000.00
4. Not buy at any additional cost.

Great idea, Let's play!
It's better than fighting with each other out of frustration while we wait (again) for the end of the week disappointment.

What does everybody think the extra cost will be for the 3rd row seats/option?

Originally I was thinking I would not get the 3rd row...but if the cost wasn't too much more, AND they fold flat, I might go for them.

The minimum cost will be the same as the rear facing seats in Model S, $3,000. I think they will keep it at $3,000, but it could go as high as $5,000. I don't think there will be any options above $5,000 that aren't battery or performance related.

The minimum cost will be the same as the rear facing seats in Model S, $3,000. I think they will keep it at $3,000, but it could go as high as $5,000. I don't think there will be any options above $5,000 that aren't battery or performance related.
I think Tesla knows how desperate some of us need the 3rd row seats. The cost of the sculpture seat as a prerequisite for the 3rd row seat option needs to be passed on to the buyers. In my opinion, the price of the 3rd row seat will unlikely be $3,000 or less. The poll on the 3rd row seat price seems to indicate that I am too pessimistic. But I hope I am WRONG.:wink:

Last edited:
I think Tesla knows how desperate some of us need the 3rd row seats. The cost of the sculpture seat as a prerequisite for the 3rd row seat option needs to be passed on to the buyers. In my opinion, it will unlikely be $3,000 or less. The poll on the 3rd row seat cost seems to indicate that I am too pessimistic. But I hope I am WRONG.:wink:

I don't think the poll indicates any such thing. It indicates most people who answered the poll probably won't be getting the third row seats (the poll asks how much you would be willing to spend, not how much you think they will cost).

I have another question for speculation.

If we don't opt for the 3rd row seats, what will be there instead? A covered storage area? How large?

Is the 3rd row seat assumed to fold into the cavity at the rear of the MX, or might there be another compartment?

Now that I look at pictures of the prototype, there is really no place else for the 3rd seat to go but into the rear cavity, and no way to get significant floor storage anywhere.

Do we think the 2nd row seats might be removable by design? I've had several SUV's and they were not on those, but mine are all pretty old (newest is 10 years old) so maybe they have made advances?

Last edited:
I don't think the poll indicates any such thing. It indicates most people who answered the poll probably won't be getting the third row seats (the poll asks how much you would be willing to spend, not how much you think they will cost).
To remove ambiguity, I edited my post to substitute price for cost of the 3rd row seat. We probably would not ever know what is the COST for Tesla to manufacturer. When I wrote cost in the original post, I meant cost to the buyer as in the selling price for the option. I hope this make sense.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Do we think the 2nd row seats might be removable by design? I've had several SUV's and they were not on those, but mine are all pretty old (newest is 10 years old) so maybe they have made advances?
I have no answer to your questions, 18 years ago when I had the ML320 (first generation) SUV, with no 3rd row seat, the 2nd row seat can move forward and be lowered to the floor, and the back will then fold onto the seat creating a truly flat storage behind.

To remove ambiguity, I edited my post to substitute price for cost of the 3rd row seat. We probably would not ever know what is the COST for Tesla to manufacturer. When I wrote cost in the original post, I meant cost to the buyer as in the selling price for the option. I hope this make sense.:smile:

I think you missed my distinction. I was talking about the price to the buyer as well, but one could definitely answer that they wouldn't pay over $3000 while firmly believing that they will probably cost $5000. The point is that you don't really need them, but if by some miracle they end up costing less than $3000 you would get them anyway. The poll is about how much you are willing to pay before you won't order the seats, and says nothing about what you expect Tesla will end up charging for them. Personally I really don't need the seats and would never expect to order them, but if they were $1000 I would get them (unless I got more storage without them, like in the S). I would definitely assume that anybody who answered that they wouldn't pay more the $3000 doesn't really need the seats.

I would definitely assume that anybody who answered that they wouldn't pay more the $3000 doesn't really need the seats.
I agree to that. There are only about 22.5% who would agree to pay more than $3,000 for the 3rd row seat. However there are about 37% who definitely needs the 3rd seat. A few of us might be unhappy if the actual price for the 3rd row seat is higher than $3,000.

I agree to that. There are only about 22.5% who would agree to pay more than $3,000 for the 3rd row seat. However there are about 37% who definitely needs the 3rd seat. A few of us might be unhappy if the actual price for the 3rd row seat is higher than $3,000.

Since third row seating in the Model S is $3000 dollars, I suppose I don't see it being cheaper in the Model X. It might be the same, but I suppose I imaging the third row seating in the X being nicer than the Model S jump seats.

For those who don't foresee a need for 7 seats, but would considering "upgrading" (assuming they stick with that), remember that you'll likely lose some deep cargo space where the seats hide away. In my MS, I have the rear facing seats and when they're folded, I don't have that great deep space that holds grocery bags just so. It's a bit of a loss for rolling items as well (loose bowling balls, cartoon style bombs with a fuse sticking out, huge balls of silly putty, you name it!)