Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of Strings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

I have a 8.16 kW PV, 2 PW system and a SE7600H-US Inverter installed Sep. 2020. It looks like I have only 1 string of 24 panels. I have panels on 3 different roof planes (16, 5 and 3 panels). Is this okay?

Thanks,

GHTech

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    120.8 KB · Views: 69
How is your production? What time period is that ouput data from? Does that picture represent your three planes? How was it in September?
There is an online tool available at pvwatts.org that might give you a way to model a typical system in your location to benchmark against your historical output.

Last edited:
How is your production? What time period is that ouput data from? Does that picture represent your three planes? How was it in September?
There is an online tool available at pvwatts.org that might give you a way to model a typical system in your location to benchmark against your historical output.

The numbers i am getting are better than the pvwatts calculator. I did the 3 directions. I was just not sure if they should have used 2 strings, or it does not matter.

Greetings,

I have a 8.16 kW PV, 2 PW system and a SE7600H-US Inverter installed Sep. 2020. It looks like I have only 1 string of 24 panels. I have panels on 3 different roof planes (16, 5 and 3 panels). Is this okay?

Thanks,

GHTech

From what you said and showed I don't have any concerns. All strings are parallel within a SE inverter anyway. Its the optimizers that do the work, rather than individual MPPT trackers.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
From what you said and showed I don't have any concerns. All strings are parallel within a SE inverter anyway. Its the optimizers that do the work, rather than individual MPPT trackers.

Hi Vines,

The reason that I asked is that I see others mention that a certain number of panels should be the maximum per string. I think that recently someone mentioned 16. I believe that my inverter can do 2 strings, and was wondering why they did not split the panels to the 2 strings. If it does not make a difference, that is fine.

Regards,

GHTech

My SE app shows all 33 panels on one string. I had a tech out for a different issue and asked him about it. He said that in fact there are three physical strings but for whatever reason it was mapped as one string when commissioned. All panels produce well so I am guessing it’s fine.

Reactions: nwdiver
My SE app shows all 33 panels on one string. I had a tech out for a different issue and asked him about it. He said that in fact there are three physical strings but for whatever reason it was mapped as one string when commissioned. All panels produce well so I am guessing it’s fine.

I installed a SE system and never could figure out how to delineate strings on the overview. There are 3 physical strings but it's displayed as one. If you're interested in determining how many strings you have take your optimizer voltage and divide it into you inverter dc voltage (usually ~390v). That gives you the number of panels in that string assuming they're all producing roughly the same power.

But SE strings shouldn't have >6kW in them. If your optimizer voltage is <17v I would call your installer and have them fix it....

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.04.04 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vines