TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Number one argument against electric cars is now completely debunked

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Number one argument against electric cars is now completely debunked

I don't doubt the conclusion that overall electric cars emit less carbon than the equivalent service from gas powered but it raises questions:
    what does "average electric car’s equivalent mpg on the electric grid" mean?
    do they account for fact that most charging of electric cars will take place at night when solar is not available so a cleaner grid due to solar makes no difference.....and wind is only intermittent ......and the power in the grid at night is primarily coming from "must run" coal plants in most parts of the country????where the nighttime generation is "must run" nuke then clearly electric cars put out less carbon....since nuke emits no carbon
    They don't list a reference to the actual study????
    And it must be close since they admit that there are parts of the country where the equivalent service from high efficiency gas versus electric is carbon emission comparable.

2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

My read of the article was that they were using averages for all calculations, so not taking into account specific time of day or specific power sources but rather just using averages for each given geographical region.

3. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I thought the top two arguments against EVs were range and speed of charge.

• Like x 2
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Our two *EVs are fueled by our home PV. I get the EV argument

I don't, however, accept the premise of this UCS study. If EVs are sourcing from the grid the accounting has to be one of marginal emissions and in the case of the US, that means about 1 lb per kWh in California, 2 lbs CO2 per kWh in coal states, and about 1.5 lbs CO2 per kWh on average.

5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

I was thinking range and price, but rate of charge probably bigger argument too.