Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number one argument against electric cars is now completely debunked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Number one argument against electric cars is now completely debunked

I don't doubt the conclusion that overall electric cars emit less carbon than the equivalent service from gas powered but it raises questions:
what does "average electric car’s equivalent mpg on the electric grid" mean?
do they account for fact that most charging of electric cars will take place at night when solar is not available so a cleaner grid due to solar makes no difference.....and wind is only intermittent ......and the power in the grid at night is primarily coming from "must run" coal plants in most parts of the country????where the nighttime generation is "must run" nuke then clearly electric cars put out less carbon....since nuke emits no carbon
They don't list a reference to the actual study????
And it must be close since they admit that there are parts of the country where the equivalent service from high efficiency gas versus electric is carbon emission comparable.

My read of the article was that they were using averages for all calculations, so not taking into account specific time of day or specific power sources but rather just using averages for each given geographical region.

Our two *EVs are fueled by our home PV. I get the EV argument

I don't, however, accept the premise of this UCS study. If EVs are sourcing from the grid the accounting has to be one of marginal emissions and in the case of the US, that means about 1 lb per kWh in California, 2 lbs CO2 per kWh in coal states, and about 1.5 lbs CO2 per kWh on average.