TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Number One shortcoming of the supercharger network

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AGARubberDuck, Jun 2, 2020.

1. AGARubberDuck

AGARubberDuck Member

People need to pee.

Seriously.

Just went from Minnesota to Florida and back in a Model 3 (watching the SpaceX launch) and the single largest inconvenience is not charge times, range or any of the other FUD. It is the severe lack of toilet options at most of the Superchargers.

Change my mind.

• Like x 17
  2. derekmw

derekmw Member

I may be wrong since my routes I've used it on are completely different areas, but I don't think that's usually the case. From California to Nevada and Arizona, I've only ever been to 1 location that did not have a restroom. The rest were always right at a store, restaurant, or mall that had more than just toilets to be able to do other things while we waited.

• Like x 6
  3. holmgang

holmgang Member

no built-in espresso machines

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. Rutgere

Rutgere Member

That is a shortcoming of the car :)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. toolman335

toolman335 Member

Is the lack of bathrooms due to a lack of access because of the virus? I've heard about truck drivers saying that most bathrooms on their routes are currently closed.
    My experience is that superchargers are located at fantastic locations.

• Helpful x 1
  6. gigawatt1010

gigawatt1010 Member

I partially agree with the lack of bathroom facilities. Last summer, we drove our one month old MX 100D from NY to the Fremont Factory to do the factory tour, from there we had several stops, including Fort Worth, Vegas, Lake Tahoe and Moab. I think we went to over 50 SC locations and most of them are in holiday inn express so you have access to bathrooms and free coffee.
    The problem are the few that are on strip malls and you get there at night when the malls are closed.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

I see truckers every week since I use Pilot and Love's truck stops for work vehicles during travel. No bathroom closures at any I have been too recently.

Over half of the Florida SC i have visited do not have bathroom access in near proximity.

• Like x 1
  8. lskarp

lskarp Member

I am in South Florida and often travel to Tallahassee to visit my daughter at college. The SC’s I stop at all have facilities and food. Turnpike, Ocala is in a mall, lake city has stuff close by within a walk. Live oak is in a Busy Bee truck stop which is like the Costco is truck stops. the SC by my house is in a mall lot with plenty of options.
    When I travel with the family, I try to plan the SC stops with food or bathroom breaks and plan accordingly. Obviously, driving at late night will
    Limit your choices. But for the most part, I have not seen this as an issue. We also went to the Launch on Saturday and the SC’s were busy all down the coast with people going up, and later going back. But everyone was cool and helpful. Longest wait was 15 mins or so in Melbourne.

9. jroydog

jroydog Member

This has been a problem both times I've driven from VA to NC. The first time though, most of the driving was at night so places were closed and last month places were still closed because of the virus. Ended up using a public rest stop along the way which required an extra stop. Admittedly, bad timing on my part but still. I also drove to Ohio right after getting my 3 and was able to go no problem at SCs at Sheetz and a Hampton Inn.

10. Zcd1

Zcd1 Member

All the Superchargers I’ve visited are located adjacent to restaurants or stores with restrooms. I thought that’s how most of them were?

11. BeeBee

BeeBee Member

SCs I use in the northeast are very often near a Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, McDonalds or are located at Interstate rest areas with lots of bathroom options. I haven’t taken my first road trip yet through the Midwest or South. When I do, judging from your post I’ll have to keep the bathroom conundrum in mind.

12. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

As a woman, this can be an issue. I try not to travel at night unless my destination is close, and I have found that many of the superchargers are a good walk away from the nearest bathroom. Often the chargers are at the far end of very large parking lots, and if it were dark I probably wouldn't feel safe. I hope that in the future when this whole "Beta vs. VHS" thing is settled, (Yeah, I'm an old fart), we can have more gas station-type facilities at the superchargers.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  13. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

You can check the Nav to see if they have a restroom service listed.

The problem is that a lot of them aren't 24/7.

• Informative x 3
  14. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

I wouldn't want to use most gas station bathrooms, so we stop at other places for the bathroom, and gas stations for gasoline.

You can do the same with your Tesla.

• Like x 2
  15. gigawatt1010

gigawatt1010 Member

Nailed it!

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

So symbiotic his bladder is in synch with his car's battery.
    --

• Funny x 1
  17. AhwatukeeDad

AhwatukeeDad Member

I have this same problem when I go backpacking in the wilderness so I mostly hike in city parks.

• Funny x 6
  18. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

it may not always be the car-check your kidney/bladder health.

19. Zcd1

Zcd1 Member

Spoken like someone who hasn't hit 50 years old yet.... ;-)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  20. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

That’s in the rear view here. ;)

The key is rigorously managing the inputs. Water in = water out. Caffeine in = more water out.

If you keep your water in to just above the amount lost via perspiration & breathing your kidneys can still do their job but with a lot pressure on your bladder.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1