Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number One shortcoming of the supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pandemic closures aside, the Tesla Supercharger map provides info on available bathrooms and restaurants. I don't know that it addresses hours of operation of same, but perhaps a cross country trip could be planned out taking into consideration "bladder range";).
My 10K mile cross country trip in Dec. 2018 - March 2019, wasn't too difficult, but between the "senior citizens" wife, dogs, and myself, the range was consistently limited us and not the battery range.

Reactions: toolman335
I find that women need bathrooms more often than men. I can tank it for 6 to 8 hours no problem, but then I also don't drink a lot. I don't think it's age related. We're 76.

As to bathrooms near superchargers, yeah, some are far away but since we're just waiting for the car to charge it's just good exercise. My wife has always found bathrooms close enough to the chargers.

For driving long distance, please do go out of the car and walk around while supercharging. It reduces fatigue and mitigates any potential health issues, circulation issues, etc. That's why breaking it down to 250-ish increments is actually helpful.

Agree, the issue revolves around locations with no 24/7 access. In our cross country trip, I find the locations in holiday inn express are generally excited to welcome you no matter what time. Once they know you're charging your car, they will even offer you complementary refreshments, which I thought was nice. One location in Albuquerque offered us a heavily discounted room if we wished to stay since it was 3 in the morning and they noticed NY tags on our Model X.

This is not a Tesla-specific issue. The truck drivers who work for me are most productive if they get enough sleep at night and don't have to guzzle coffee and energy drinks when they start their workdays. In the pandemic in New England my truckers have found that bathroom access has been greatly restricted. They're had to learn to modify their fluid and caffeine intake so they can pace themselves throughout the day.

• Informative
Reactions: RedModel3
As a woman, this can be an issue. I try not to travel at night unless my destination is close, and I have found that many of the superchargers are a good walk away from the nearest bathroom. Often the chargers are at the far end of very large parking lots, and if it were dark I probably wouldn't feel safe. I hope that in the future when this whole "Beta vs. VHS" thing is settled, (Yeah, I'm an old fart), we can have more gas station-type facilities at the superchargers.
It's definitely easier for a man. Just keep an empty plastic soda bottle in the car.....

The cool kids in 2010 may have said that. Now it's Netflix, Hulu, AppleTV, Amazon Prime or Disney + LOL
Those aren’t competing, excluding standards. :p
Having a Netflix account and a Disney + account isn't like needing VHS and Betamax player. As long as you have one of the typical hardware boxes used those are all products you may mix and match on your hardware.

Last edited:
There are several shortcomings I can think of:
  • Lack of toilet facilities at many
  • Lack of trash cans at most
  • Lack of window washing at all
  • Lack of solar shades at most
  • Lack of readily-visible method for choosing the most efficient available stall
  • Lack of a way to report damaged or impaired equipment
That list hit the nail on the head.

The Map will tell you if there are restrooms or food there if you press on the supercharger. If you navigate to a destination that requires a supercharger stop to get there, it doesn't tell you what facilities are there or if they will be open when you get there.

The lack of choosing the most efficient available stall, I never considered that, but it would help speed things up.

I would go for any sort of canopy, it doesn't have to be solar. I'm of getting out in the rain and getting wet while I plug in.

• Lack of readily-visible method for choosing the most efficient available stall
Only really old ones have unusual labeling/pairing schemes. The modern paired by number labeling is very common, and lack of label is something they’ll repair if it’s happened (sometimes installer/activating tech forgets or didn’t have supplies at the time). Simple as "avoid the A or B that has the same number as another stall already in use". EDIT: If the labels are missing I'm not sure how you'd get directed to the "best" stall, anyway?

It also goes away with V3.
  • Lack of a way to report damaged or impaired equipment
I’ve phoned the support number, they have eyes on this and it creates a repair job case.

Last edited:
People need to pee.

Seriously.

Just went from Minnesota to Florida and back in a Model 3 (watching the SpaceX launch) and the single largest inconvenience is not charge times, range or any of the other FUD. It is the severe lack of toilet options at most of the Superchargers.

Change my mind.
I travel a lot in rural spots where the chargers are off the freeway at the rear of a Holiday Inn Express or in the back of some other weird place with no toilets. Luckily in most instances the fenced in Tesla transformer bank provides more than adequate shelter.

People need to pee.

Seriously.

Just went from Minnesota to Florida and back in a Model 3 (watching the SpaceX launch) and the single largest inconvenience is not charge times, range or any of the other FUD. It is the severe lack of toilet options at most of the Superchargers.

Change my mind.
I'm unconvinced about "most", this hasn't been my experience.

It does happen, and when it does and you need to go it requires an short extra stop. But between showing up at daytime hours, all the SC located at 24/7 truck stops/gas stops/hotels/Walmarts, and walking a few hundred meters to a nearby location while the charging is happening (best thing for you, really) I found it rather uncommon that I needed to do an extra stop (roadside ;) , truck stop, etc). It just makes it more likely I'll do a "skip" jump over a potential SC stop between about midnight and early morning (depends on the place, outlet malls pretty much all have really bad hours, restaurants with lounges are open a lot later, and if serving breakfast a lot earlier).

That this is ranks for you as the "largest inconvenience" really speaks to how smooth the overall experience is.

Number one shortfall IMO is no supercharger in Charleston, SC. With a million residents in Metro Charleston this has to be the largest population center still w/o a Supercharger.

FWIW I have used dozens of SC locations across the southeast and have never had a problem finding a restroom nearby. I do tend to drive during the day and sleep at night so this could be a problem for those who drive overnight.