Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number One shortcoming of the supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's difficult for me to legitimately criticize Tesla. I've had excellent customer service and I love everything about the car.
One area of superchargers that is a real hassle is towing a trailer. I've seen more and more people complain about having to unhitch because of having to back into spots.

People need to pee.
Seriously. Just went from Minnesota to Florida and back in a Model 3 (watching the SpaceX launch) and
the single largest inconvenience is not charge times, range or any of the other FUD.
It is the severe lack of toilet options at most of the Superchargers.

Change my mind.

At least, some Superchargers (White Hills, AZ) have a walking dogs area... See video at 0:40

SuperCharger - Walking Dog Area .jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I may be wrong since my routes I've used it on are completely different areas, but I don't think that's usually the case. From California to Nevada and Arizona, I've only ever been to 1 location that did not have a restroom. The rest were always right at a store, restaurant, or mall that had more than just toilets to be able to do other things while we waited.

That’s my experience too. We travel from the Central Coast of CA, to Southern CA a lot and to Oregon to visit our son and all the Superchargers have restaurants or other facilities nearby. Lack of restrooms has never been a problem.

That’s my experience too. We travel from the Central Coast of CA, to Southern CA a lot and to Oregon to visit our son and all the Superchargers have restaurants or other facilities nearby. Lack of restrooms has never been a problem.
24/7 Restaurants? That's the rub. Lots have 24/7 facilities but if you're relying on restaurants and most malls at a given you're probably looking at maybe 14-18 hours coverage. Example I know. Swing by the San Marcos SC in in San Marcos Premium Outlets mall (south of Austin, TX) before 9AM or after 11PM, if I remember correctly, and you'd have roughly 3/4 mile walk to the nearest washroom at Cracker Barrel Restaurant .... if you were still inside their hours.

Right now I just Googled and the Outlet Mall and their hours are reduced currently, 11AM-7PM. Cracker Barrel I'm not even sure you can get into, as they are listed as take-out only, right now.

During nearly seven years and ~80,000 mostly long distance miles I have had a problem only twice. DeFuniak Springs, FL on a Sunday had zero activity if any kind. We chose the rural option. The other was Melide, Switzerland late night on a weekend. There are unattractive options there at any time.

In my experience driving Tesla in ~10 countries including coast-to-coast US several times, the ‘facilities’ problems have been rare, but they nearly always involving odd times. COVID-19 has obviously been another situation entirely.

From my perspective Tesla has done it very well, even in such places as Croatia and Slovenia which they accommodated prior to having any sales there. That said, when shopping centers close the options often disappear also. There is no obvious cure for that,, other than a rural option or another stop.

During nearly seven years and ~80,000 mostly long distance miles I have had a problem only twice. DeFuniak Springs, FL on a Sunday had zero activity if any kind. We chose the rural option. The other was Melide, Switzerland late night on a weekend. There are unattractive options there at any time.

In my experience driving Tesla in ~10 countries including coast-to-coast US several times, the ‘facilities’ problems have been rare, but they nearly always involving odd times. COVID-19 has obviously been another situation entirely.

From my perspective Tesla has done it very well, even in such places as Croatia and Slovenia which they accommodated prior to having any sales there. That said, when shopping centers close the options often disappear also. There is no obvious cure for that,, other than a rural option or another stop.
"Rural Option" I like that turn of phrase.

Reactions: SammichLover
We haven’t travelled extensively but in the 3 years we’ve had our Teslas and Supercharged on the road I can’t say bathroom breaks have been a problem where we’ve charged. Generally we were also using the time for a meal or at least picking up a cold drink and both were in easy walking distance from the SC locations.

You know we do still with our Teslas have the ability to drive somewhere decent for a quick bathroom stop which you would likely do anyway if you were driving an ICE car and not wanting to frequent gas station toilets. I remember one gas station (building was subsequently torn down at some point) that even my husband refused to use their restroom. Navigate can come in handy to find a 7-11 or fast food restaurant that would be open with facilities.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
We haven’t travelled extensively but in the 3 years we’ve had our Teslas and Supercharged on the road I can’t say bathroom breaks have been a problem where we’ve charged. Generally we were also using the time for a meal or at least picking up a cold drink and both were in easy walking distance from the SC locations.

You know we do still with our Teslas have the ability to drive somewhere decent for a quick bathroom stop which you would likely do anyway if you were driving an ICE car and not wanting to frequent gas station toilets. I remember one gas station (building was subsequently torn down at some point) that even my husband refused to use their restroom. Navigate can come in handy to find a 7-11 or fast food restaurant that would be open with facilities.

Indeed. Hotels are my go to restroom break on the road, especially when I will be in the sitting position. Hotel lobby restrooms rarely get used and are generally cleaned 2 or 3 times a day.

Reactions: Paul-K
Does anyone else feel “bad” for using the restrooms at businesses but not buying anything. Occasionally there will be a supercharger in like a grocery store parking lot, but way out on the edge where fast food places are much closer etc. Most the time I’ll buy something... but I get really self conscious and feel like a dick when I just waltz in to use the restroom and then leave to walk back over to the superchargers.

I mean I’m not going to buy something if I’m going to go to dinner once I get to my location but I WILL probably charge and use the restroom ~30 minutes before hitting a city... just so I don’t have to worry about charging right away and just in case traffic grinds to a stop when I hit downtown or something...

Does anyone else feel “bad” for using the restrooms at businesses but not buying anything. Occasionally there will be a supercharger in like a grocery store parking lot, but way out on the edge where fast food places are much closer etc. Most the time I’ll buy something... but I get really self conscious and feel like a dick when I just waltz in to use the restroom and then leave to walk back over to the superchargers.

I mean I’m not going to buy something if I’m going to go to dinner once I get to my location but I WILL probably charge and use the restroom ~30 minutes before hitting a city... just so I don’t have to worry about charging right away and just in case traffic grinds to a stop when I hit downtown or something...

Do I feel bad? No. Do I look for opportunities to purchase something there as a thank you for providing clean restrooms or chargers or both? Yes.

• Love
Reactions: SammichLover
Does anyone else feel “bad” for using the restrooms at businesses but not buying anything.

Don't feel bad, but the hotels are sometimes the ones with the snarky response. Walk in a 3am to find no one in lobby. I am sure I awoke them from a deep slumbering sleep with a motion sensor. Use restroom. Leaving. I get the "I hope you enjoyed your stay" from lobby person now awake.

• Funny
Reactions: MidwestM3P
Does anyone else feel “bad” for using the restrooms at businesses but not buying anything. Occasionally there will be a supercharger in like a grocery store parking lot, but way out on the edge where fast food places are much closer etc. Most the time I’ll buy something... but I get really self conscious and feel like a dick when I just waltz in to use the restroom and then leave to walk back over to the supercharg

In Italy, businesses require a purchase to use the bathroom, one or two Euros. You could simply leave a one dollar tip. It’s the respectful kind behavior to do.