Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number plate change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at your region this may not be feasible but, I've had cause to change my plates 3 times and each time my local SC (Birmingham) have done so for me free of charge. If yours is close by why not pop in and try to arrange a mutually convenient time for them to do it.

I've been very well served by Birmingham SC, but I understand some people have been charged for similar tasks.

If we are talking about the Tesla model 3, the ‘Tesla.com’ bit can be pulled off with your finger. Then the registration slides downwards and out.

you don’t need tools or a flathead.

I surprisingly couldn’t find any online videos but you shouldn’t have to force anything.

Just measured two spare plates that are sat here, waiting to be transferred to my M3. The front one that I bought online is noticeably thinner than the rear one that came from a local motor factor. The online purchased plate seems to be very close to 3mm thick, the other plate is about 3.8mm thick. It could just be a matter of hunting around for a supplier that uses the thinner material to make up plates.

I'm planning to remove the number plate holders completely and fit a self-adhesive front plate and a standard plastic rear plate, held on with 3M VHB tape.

I searched online and in YouTube. Surprisingly, there are no videos of the task.

There are 2 ‘lugs’ on each of the vertical sides that need some help to release. The frame then pivots down on the bottom links.

My acrylic number plates are, indeed, to thick since the original plate is metal and very thin. I didn’t have a lot of time when I tried yesterday but there are some plastic pegs that act as spacers that prevented me fitting the thicker plate and that I’m hoping to remove. If my number plate is then too loose, I’ll try using the original plate as a spacer.

Road Legal Number Plate Makers | Custom Number Plates

I used this company. Only annoyance is preview doesn’t have the company name but on arrival it has it on the bottom. They tell me it’s legalities.

I just pulled on the Tesla.Com bit and it came apart. If you’re struggling I’ll post a video
I don’t want GB on my plates. That’s why I want to change them. I want the saltire on there and it doesn’t look like I can with that company

Road Legal Number Plate Makers | Custom Number Plates

I used this company. Only annoyance is preview doesn’t have the company name but on arrival it has it on the bottom. They tell me it’s legalities.

I just pulled on the Tesla.Com bit and it came apart. If you’re struggling I’ll post a video

Be interested to see a video if you can, will be transferring my plates in the next couple of weeks.

Changed mine tonight, the frame part pulls apart from the bottom and along the left hand side allowing the old plates to be slid out and replaced with the new ones. You then simply need to click the frame back together. Much simpler than I’ve experienced with other cars where sticking on etc was needed. Definitely no tools required