Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number plate options/alternatives - UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and will collect my white LR Model 3 at the end of November.

I’m in the UK and would be interested in the number plate options available and what everyone has changed?

I don’t like the large Tesla surround that’s supplied with UK deliveries, and have considered the vinyl plates for front and rear, but wondered if there is any way to remove the surround and use the existing number plates and screw holes without seeing any of the backing plate - I’ve seen it on some but not sure how it’s achieved and if kits are needed? I’m not keen on the double sided tape option (just incase it falls off).

I can’t find a thread on this topic so apologies in advance!

Rear plate can be simplified easily by removing all the mounting stuff and just using industrial Velcro. Plenty of videos around or if you prefer web pages with pictures, this is what I followed.

Front is very similar, I used a vinyl plate but it’s not easy to get it to be bubble free due to the contours of the bumper. The front plinth is however in 2 parts and you could still simplify the look by removing the first bulky part and attach the plate to the smaller remaining part. This guide shows the vinyl plate at the end but you can see the intermediate plate half way. Taking the plate and outer plinth off is easily reversible so it would take only a few minutes to try and if you were unhappy to reverse the procedure.

Reactions: Cossa
For the front I discarded the outer plate holder, removed & resprayed the inner moulding white and then used 3M tape to attach a standard metal plate. The respray means there is no dark shadow against the white bodywork.

F number1a.jpeg

For the rear, 3M tape is used to attach a metal plate.

Reactions: Doudeau