Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number plate security and attachment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear number plate was ripped off from the car (Model 3) today, unfortunately sentry mode, which as working yesterday, had a cross next to it which meant no recording was made as to how it was removed. From the two holes on the boot lid, it would suggest to me that the whole number plate carrier was pulled away from the car. With the 2 rectangular holes on the boot lid, it doesn't seem to allow direct attachment of a number plate with security screws, but I might be wrong. I hope the front plate will not be next for them to complete the set!

I am aware there are stick on number plates which becomes unusable when peeled from the car, for which I am considering.

Anybody with experience or advice on how to securely attach a number plate to the car?

The normal reason for a plate theft is to put a false identity on a car of the same make, model and colour to be used in a criminal act. But I can't really see a Tesla being used in a crime.
Is your number plate personal or "interesting?"

At the end of the day no plate can be fully secure and trying to make it so is likely to lead to expensive damage when it is pulled off.

It is standard issue from Tesla and the last 3 letters of the number plate doesn't make a word. The car has the standard white paint, areo-wheels and no modification inside or out.

It annoys me that sentry is on and was working the day before, but didn't work when I needed it to.

The normal reason for a plate theft is to put a false identity on a car of the same make, model and colour to be used in a criminal act. But I can't really see a Tesla being used in a crime.

At the end of the day no plate can be fully secure and trying to make it so is likely to lead to expensive damage when it is pulled off.
It may not be used in a criminal act such as burglary etc but it could be put on to a cloned car to avoid parking fines, speed cameras etc and as the OP says it a white with aerp and how many of those are around?

I would get a crime number just in case any of the above happen as it did to Jonathon Portefield and his EV.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
It is standard issue from Tesla and the last 3 letters of the number plate doesn't make a word. The car has the standard white paint, areo-wheels and no modification inside or out.

It annoys me that sentry is on and was working the day before, but didn't work when I needed it to.
See my post in another thread about dashcam failures with current firmware. Suspect your car has similar issues. Sorry about your plate theft. Worth reporting to police in case you start getting parking fines or speeding tickets.

My rear number plate was ripped off from the car (Model 3) today, unfortunately sentry mode, which as working yesterday, had a cross next to it which meant no recording was made as to how it was removed. From the two holes on the boot lid, it would suggest to me that the whole number plate carrier was pulled away from the car. With the 2 rectangular holes on the boot lid, it doesn't seem to allow direct attachment of a number plate with security screws, but I might be wrong. I hope the front plate will not be next for them to complete the set!

I am aware there are stick on number plates which becomes unusable when peeled from the car, for which I am considering.

Anybody with experience or advice on how to securely attach a number plate to the car?
Connect a small wire from the back on the plate to the high voltage system….

I’ve removed the plastic holders as they looked terrible. The original rear plate is now attached by VHB (very high bond) 3M number plate stickers. The front is replaced with a stick on vinyl one. Looks much nicer

52F4173C-9400-4622-BD98-C6ADB10EDA32.jpeg
A1DCF985-C993-4914-A515-A345373C5D3E.jpeg

I’m surprised the whole carrier went. It takes literally 5 seconds to remove it from the holder without causing any damage.

Could it possibly have just fallen off as removing the whole carrier if properly attached is harder than just removing the plate.
From the dirt/clean marks, it looks like they put their fingers underneath the number plate carrier and pulled, possibly at an upward angle.
MissingCarrier.jpg

@Freds Dad @Burley Thank you, It hadn't occured to me to report this.
Connect a small wire from the back on the plate to the high voltage system….
I'll be on the news - "Tesla owner found electrocuted next to his Model 3".