Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numberplate holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any tips on removing the ugly numberplate holders on the front and rear of the M3 (UK)? I’ve just ordered those smart vinyl stick-on ones that look so good (with the green GB badge).

I don’t want to damage the paint or bodywork. But am assuming I simply have to pull the front one off and clean off the adhesive residue with alcohol?

Aside from the aesthetic, I want to change them because they seem so fragile and liable to fall off! The rear one wobbles like hell when I close the boot/trunk; and the front one once popped loose.

Thanks guys.

There are some YouTube videos that explain what to do. I did stuck the Aluminium plate directly on to the rear of the car and a stick on plate to the front of the car.
However I recently decided to replace both with Acrylic EV plates as they have finished edges. I also replaced the number plate carrier on the front but left of the frame. I stuck the plate directly onto the carrier. The reason for doing this was that if you get too close to something the plate will hit first saving damaging the cars paintwork...

Reactions: Jez_GB
I quite like the ‘all wheel drive’
59A93D91-9110-4823-8CCC-A82C9FD37052.jpeg

.....But am assuming I simply have to pull the front one off and clean off the adhesive residue with alcohol?
No adhesive, both front and rear are attached via two screw holes in each (underneath) carrier. I removed the rear entirely and 3M taped a plate directly to the bodywork & for the front I kept the carrier, sanded down & resprayed white to match the car colour then taped the plate directly to that (avoids a dark shadow).

krMonSE.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
Assuming you’ve got the new style plate holders, like @UrbanSplash ’s photo, you just pull out the bottom “bar” from one side (it bends), and then the other.

The plate then slides out the bottom of the plate holder, revealing the two screws that attach the plate holder to the plinth on the car.

The plinth is removed the same way - two screws.

The rear plinth is marginally wider than a UK plate, so if you attach it directly to that you’ll see the black edges - if you’re bothered by that. The front plinth is narrower than the plate, so doesn’t have this problem.

I actually don’t mind the new style plate holders, so I just removed them and fitted foam tape in a few strategic areas, so there’s no rattling when closing the boot etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB