Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numberplates mounted crooked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've saw a Model 3 today, with rear number plate mounted crooked - it was particularly noticeable and would drive me nuts if mine comes like that.

Another forum member had his front mounted crooked, he was able to elongate the holes and straighten it up.

Am I being too pedantic asking to be there when they do mine, so I can ensure it's put on level?

I've saw a Model 3 today, with rear number plate mounted crooked - it was particularly noticeable and would drive me nuts if mine comes like that.

Another forum member had his front mounted crooked, he was able to elongate the holes and straighten it up.

Am I being too pedantic asking to be there when they do mine, so I can ensure it's put on level?
Crooked plates are the worst. I‘ve been guilty of supervising plate installation

Reactions: Bennny
We bought a 3 in Sept 2019 and a X middle of last year. If you say you want it unregistered (to register in ACT for example) they will just sell it to you unregistered.

Official response I received from the Operations Manager was:

"Custom plates are matter of restrictions placed by Service NSW. We are restricted to a number of transactions per day at Service NSW who further require in-person attendance at Service NSW to complete custom plate registrations. These restrictions combined mean we are unable to offer a custom plate solution in NSW

We offer this service in other states as their registration process is simpler and easier for all parties."

And specifically regarding unregistered sales:

"Regarding the delivery of an unregistered vehicle, Service NSW requires us to register vehicles, it is in our dealer licence (sic) - as long as we are able to register a vehicle, we must do so."

I suspect Tesla find this request too hard and simply don't want to deal with it, but without having their dealer license it's hard for me to know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennny
Official response I received from the Operations Manager was:
"NSW requires us to deliver all vehicles registered. We do not have an option for delivery of an unregistered vehicle."

Calling SNSW and they confirmed this is not their stance and that they would be happy to register a new vehicle provided it meets all the requirements by law.

I suspect Tesla find this request too hard and simply don't want to deal with it, yet another point against them for support as far as I'm concerned.
Tell them you want to register it in ACT.